Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#246942 - 20/01/2005 20:07 Re: Anybody knows anything about Thunderbird ? [Re: StigOE]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I've been a long-time hater of Eudora, so I've stayed clear of it. I've always thought it was one of the worst email clients around (not including the ones that lack so many features that they're not even worthy of consideration). Have always been extremely disappointed with the Mac and Windows versions I've seen.

Thunderbird seems to represent what I've always thought a mail program should be. At least it's the closest. I've been using TheBat for a few years now, and although it's certainly powerful, it's a right pain in the ass for some things and has a bunch of bugs in the final version I have - beta versions of the newer release introduce other bugs that I'm not willing to put up with.

The fact Thunderbird is available for Windows and Mac OS X seals it.

Bruno

#246943 - 20/01/2005 20:54 Re: Anybody knows anything about Thunderbird ? [Re: BartDG]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
suppose the attachments also stay in the emails as well, effectively doubling the harddrive space these attachments occupy ?

I guess that means that at the end of a year or so of backing things up, you have uttterly wasted maybe 75 cents worth of hard drive space.

tanstaafl.

#246944 - 21/01/2005 08:32 Re: Anybody knows anything about Thunderbird ? [Re: hybrid8]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
Thunderbird seems to represent what I've always thought a mail program should be. At least it's the closest.

I'd agree with that

#246945 - 21/01/2005 22:08 Re: Anybody knows anything about Thunderbird ? [Re: Roger]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I partitioned my new drive into two: one 40gig system and one 160gig data.
After installing (anything from win2K to XP, i'm trying 2k3 server and tiring of it) on the system partition, I created my personal login, logged in then out and back in as administrator. I then renamed the personal directory, and mounted the data partition as a new folder as my personal directory. I copied all the default gunk into the new improved personal folder and assigned permissions appropriately.
I logged in as me as all works just fine.
I have no problem with the default location of application data and I can reinstall the system without killing my data.

You could do the same thing for the 'Documents and Settings' folder. (why the hell did they give it that long name??)

You then don't need to worry about 'D:\' in your pathnames and windows apps dont see things any differently.

This doesn't necessarily help you with eudora/TB configs but might help when you reinstall. (isn't 3-4 months a little too often?)

#246946 - 22/01/2005 12:06 Re: Anybody knows anything about Thunderbird ? [Re: muzza]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Quote:
I then renamed the personal directory, and mounted the data partition as a new folder as my personal directory. I copied all the default gunk into the new improved personal folder and assigned permissions appropriately.

Could you elaborate on how you did this ? This I don't quite understand.

#246947 - 22/01/2005 18:49 Re: Anybody knows anything about Thunderbird ? [Re: BartDG]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I was waiting for someone to say that very thing.

Bruno

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2