Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24697 - 13/01/2001 06:18 bad file
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
this is definitely a bug, just not sure what to do about it. i have one song that i recently put on the emepg. it plays fine for about 5 seconds, then the empeg reboots. it will keep rebooting unless you are quick enough to hit the ff button. anyone else seen this? i dont really care about the song, but should i send a copy to empeg to perhaps make the player more robust in situations like this?

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#24698 - 13/01/2001 11:37 Re: bad file [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Have you checked this file with MP3Trim? It will strip out bad frames (if that's the case with this song).

NOTE: Do not save over the bad version of the song. Keep it so that you can send it to Empeg and they can fix whatever bug is causing the crash. A bad frame shouldn't crash the software, no matter how bad it is. At worst, the song should stop playing.

#24699 - 16/01/2001 12:19 Re: bad file [Re: jstrain]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I had a song that actually froze the empeg without fail every time. Damn if i can't remember which one it was now. I meant to get it off and send it to empeg, but i went on vacation right after i found it and plum forgot. I gotta go find it now....

|| loren.cox

#24700 - 17/01/2001 08:40 Re: bad file [Re: jstrain]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I just Emploded a song that does the same thing. About 15 mins in, the Empeg reboots continuously until I skip that track, by quickly pressing FF.
Tony, I'll check it out with MP3Trim, but do you really think Empeg wants the file to see the cause of the crash?
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#24701 - 17/01/2001 10:34 Re: bad file [Re: Dearing]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'll check it out with MP3Trim, but do you really think Empeg wants the file to see the cause of the crash?

Good question. As it stands right now, they are about to switch audio decoding engines. The upcoming version 1.1 will no longer use the XAudio engine that's currently being used.

With 1.0x, they have little control over how the engine handles the file, as XAudio is just a black box. The best they could do is to somehow pre-qualify the file at Emplode time.

With version 1.1, they will (if I understand correctly) have source-level access to the engine and will be able to make adjustments if necessary.

So my suggestion is: If you have a bad MP3 file that crashes the Empeg, hang on to a backup of that file until version 1.1 comes out. Then try the file on 1.1, and if it doesn't crash the Empeg, then you can toss it. But if it still crashes the Empeg in 1.1, then definitely send it to them because they will be able to do something about it.

#24702 - 17/01/2001 11:30 Re: bad file [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
That's good advice. If the new ARM decoder chokes on anything it is unlikely to be related to current problems, so save the report for 1.1.

Rob

#24703 - 17/01/2001 12:16 Re: bad file [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
they will (if I understand correctly) have source-level access to the engine

Not strictly true. The ARM codec has a finer-grained interface, which allows us more control over it, but we don't have the source to it.

What we do have, however, is a good relationship with ARM, which means that if any problems do occur with the new codec, we're more confident about getting them fixed quickly.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg