Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248261 - 01/02/2005 06:42 State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg?
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi all,

Like a few others here, I'm about to embark on a re-ripping project to bring my collection up to snuff (not to mention, up to date, since half my stuff isn't ripped to begin with). A lot of my stuff was ripped before I settled on LAME with 192 (or 256) VBR. Before I start, I was thinking about ripping to Ogg. Sadly, I don't have the space available to store everything in FLAC to reconvert at will, so I don't want to re-rip only to re-rip yet again, later on.

So, my question... what's the state of Ogg on the Empeg? I've done a bit of browsing through other threads, but just to confirm, Ogg requires v3alpha8, which may, or may not have issues. Are the issues reasonable to put up with, just for the Ogg support? You may assume that, on uploading new tunes, all I want to do is use jEmplode, and no futzing beyond that (a one-time initialization type futzing is okay, though). Does the alpha seriously break anything from 2.0final?

Also (and I may be entirely out in left field on this one), is the MP3 decoding done via software or hardware, and, if the latter, does using Ogg, rather than MP3, cause any significant impact on CPU/RAM usage?

And, finally, a poll to satisfy curiosity...
I'm using Ogg on the Empeg
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/02/2005 01:38
View the results of this poll.

#248262 - 01/02/2005 06:51 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Sadly, I don't have the space available to store everything in FLAC to reconvert at will, so I don't want to re-rip only to re-rip yet again, later on.

Well, Ogg Vorbis is lossy, as you know, so if something even better comes out, you'll still need to make this decision. My advice to you: rip to FLAC and then archive to DVD-R.

Quote:
just to confirm, Ogg requires v3alpha8

Yes, it does. The Ogg (and FLAC) codecs fell out of the audio path rework that got done for Karma, so you'll need v3a8.

Quote:
Are the issues reasonable to put up with, just for the Ogg support?

Depends. I've been using v3 alphas exclusively for over a year and, while I do get some issues with v3a8, I've been generally happy. It does occasionally reboot on me, but I can live with that. I don't, however, use the radio that much, so I can't comment on the level of functionality there.

Quote:
Does the alpha seriously break anything from 2.0final?

IMO, not seriously, no. And gapless playback is worth the cost, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
is the MP3 decoding done via software or hardware, and, if the latter, does using Ogg, rather than MP3, cause any significant impact on CPU/RAM usage?

All of the empeg's codecs are software. The Ogg Vorbis codec is heavier on CPU/RAM usage than the MP3 one, because we got a StrongARM-optimised MP3 decoder from ARM, and the Ogg Vorbis (and FLAC) decoders used in v3a8 haven't had as much optimisation work carried out on them.

#248263 - 01/02/2005 07:24 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Wow. 9 minutes. I'm glad I put that poll in, so that everyone else that reads this thread will have something to do.

Quote:
Quote:
Sadly, I don't have the space available to store everything in FLAC to reconvert at will, so I don't want to re-rip only to re-rip yet again, later on.

Well, Ogg Vorbis is lossy, as you know, so if something even better comes out, you'll still need to make this decision. My advice to you: rip to FLAC and then archive to DVD-R.

Yeah, that would mean purchasing a DVD burner, though, and I've already blown my current toy budget on hockey gear. At the moment, I'm reasonably happy with the lossy compression -- my re-ripping *everything* is just because, since I have to rip a ton of stuff now, anyway, I figure I might as well redo everything else just to just get it all in the same format. I found that my time spent in the ripping/encoding is minimal compared to the tag editing, so once I get the tags done, I plan to keep a mini-cddb.

Quote:
Quote:
Are the [v3alpha] issues reasonable to put up with, just for the Ogg support?

Depends. I've been using v3 alphas exclusively for over a year and, while I do get some issues with v3a8, I've been generally happy. It does occasionally reboot on me, but I can live with that. I don't, however, use the radio that much, so I can't comment on the level of functionality there.

Ah, cool. Occasional reboots, I can deal with. I'm not a frequent radio user, either (mostly it's just a click over to radio to show passengers that it's there, and tell them that I put the tuner together from a kit ). I'll see what info I can dig up about alpha/radio issues.

Quote:
Quote:
Does the alpha seriously break anything from 2.0final?

IMO, not seriously, no. And gapless playback is worth the cost, as far as I'm concerned.

"Shuffle mode on, down, down, down" -- pretty much negates the need for any sort of gapless playback.

I really need to setup per-album playlists.

Quote:
Quote:
is the MP3 decoding done via software or hardware, and, if the latter, does using Ogg, rather than MP3, cause any significant impact on CPU/RAM usage?

All of the empeg's codecs are software. The Ogg Vorbis codec is heavier on CPU/RAM usage than the MP3 one, because we got a StrongARM-optimised MP3 decoder from ARM, and the Ogg Vorbis (and FLAC) decoders used in v3a8 haven't had as much optimisation work carried out on them.

Interesting info to know.

Thanks!

#248264 - 01/02/2005 11:55 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
"Shuffle mode on, down, down, down" -- pretty much negates the need for any sort of gapless playback.

I'm afriad to put Alpha8 on my main player, but it's on my backup and I can't begin to explain how cool the crossfade is for the "down , down, down" type of playing!

#248265 - 01/02/2005 12:31 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Yep, gotta second that. Crossfade looks silly, until one uses it for the BIG SHUFFLE..

Cheers

#248266 - 01/02/2005 12:34 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
[T]hat would mean purchasing a DVD burner, though, and I've already blown my current toy budget on hockey gear.

I just bought a dual-layer DVD burner for less than $80. Maybe that's a lot to you; I don't know.

#248267 - 01/02/2005 14:11 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Yeah, that would mean purchasing a DVD burner, though, and I've already blown my current toy budget on hockey gear.

Typical Canadian! You find 'em on the street corner with a stack of pucks in a brown paper bag, then they stagger home at 3AM and tumble over the foot of the bed clutching their hockey stick! Why do their wives put up with it?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#248268 - 01/02/2005 15:05 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: jimhogan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

ROFL.

Quote:
Why do their wives put up with it?

It's probably because hockey hair is just so damn sexy.

#248269 - 01/02/2005 15:26 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
[T]hat would mean purchasing a DVD burner, though, and I've already blown my current toy budget on hockey gear.

I just bought a dual-layer DVD burner for less than $80. Maybe that's a lot to you; I don't know.

No, when you look at it as just $80, it's not that much at all. The problem in my case is that "just $80" here, and "just $80" there has a tendency to add up very quickly, because I say that *too* often. :-D Also, about half my salary is currently being shunted into my 401k, because I forgot to reset the contribution level back to a sane amount after increasing it at the end of last year to max out my contributions, which isn't leaving me much play money at the moment.

I'm kind of at the point where I want to get rid of all my computer junk (I'm limping along here with a Pentium MMX, and a DEC Alpha), so I'm not particularly keen on buying more hardware until I can replace the whole kit-n-kaboodle. And then see above.

#248270 - 01/02/2005 18:38 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It's probably because hockey hair is just so damn sexy.

On some of us!

I am one of the people that voted "yes" above. Not sure if I can answer your questions directly during lunch, but I am in a similar place as you -- cap to FLAC, keep running v3Alpha8?

With a low (or maybe zilch!) likelihood of another Amerfoort surprise, I have considered reverting to 2.0, but, yeah, I love that crossfade! I would probably revert at some point though. For one thing, I ripped/encoded a whole bunch of new stuff into Ogg, but screwed it up I think -- too high quality? -- and they are oversaturated and I get noticable distorting of highs in playback.

So, if I am going to redo those, I am thinking FLAC and more disk space to cover the optimist/pessimist bases.

#248271 - 02/02/2005 03:24 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
Mataglap
enthusiast

I'm using v3alpha7 on two different empegs, one in the office, one in the car. I've only ever ripped my own discs to Ogg Vorbis files, that's over 12000 songs on the unit in the car. Mostly it's been working fine ever since the v3alphas were released, there have been some minor problems, but only one problem that's ever affected playback, and that was with an earlier release, v3a5 maybe?

All of the other issues are much easier to live with. There's the songs getting marked problem that's been mentioned before. There's the song name being changed to "various" on occasion, this has also been mentioned before. And every now and then I have a problem uploading songs, and the connection dies. It's on occasion been a bit of a pain to cleanly recover, needing to get in via telnet or the serial port to run fsck. And there's been a few issues with emplode.

Hydrogenaudio.org and rarewares.org are the best resources for ogg stuff, including hints about reccomended versions and pentium 4 compiles.

--Nathan

#248272 - 02/02/2005 05:02 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: Mataglap]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
All of the other issues are much easier to live with. There's the songs getting marked problem that's been mentioned before. There's the song name being changed to "various" on occasion, this has also been mentioned before.

Those don't sound too bad.

Quote:
And every now and then I have a problem uploading songs, and the connection dies. It's on occasion been a bit of a pain to cleanly recover, needing to get in via telnet or the serial port to run fsck.

Yuck. I don't like the sound of this. I can do it, but I'm lazy. I'm now in the Apple stage of my computing -- I just want it to work (says the guy that runs custom kernels on obsolete hardware).

Quote:
And there's been a few issues with emplode.

Those don't bother me, since I only use jEmplode.

Quote:
Hydrogenaudio.org and rarewares.org are the best resources for ogg stuff,

Ah, useful links. Thanks!

Quote:
including hints about reccomended versions and pentium 4 compiles.

Hmm... pentium 4? I wonder if they have any hits for pentium MMX (409 bogoMips, baby!), or a 64-bit DEC Alpha?

I guess my last question now (not necessarily directed at you, but the thread readers in general), is, what are the ramifications of upgrading, and then deciding to down-grade back to v2.0final? My search-fu suggests it's just as simple as just flashing the previous image again. If that's correct, then I guess I'll toss on 3a8, and play with it a while before I decide about Ogg.

#248273 - 02/02/2005 20:45 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
One issue I see often with v3a8 is if I select a specific song, many times the player will lock up with only a couple seconds left in the track. Usually I can reboot, it starts playback from an earlier point, then I down, down, down to get past it. The same track will play fine later, I'm positive it's not my mp3's, but occasionally it will lock up. But I love v3! I can live with that minor annoyance.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#248274 - 02/02/2005 20:49 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: Waterman981]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm positive it's not my mp3's, but occasionally it will lock up.

Yeah, I had that happen once, but I just slammed the Empeg down on the table real hard and it started right up again.

#248275 - 02/02/2005 21:16 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: jimhogan]
AudunE
journeyman

Loc: Trondheim, Norway
Quote:
Yeah, I had that happen once, but I just slammed the Empeg down on the table real hard and it started right up again.

...and they say violence can`t solve problems.

#248276 - 02/02/2005 22:40 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: AudunE]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
...and they say violence can`t solve problems.

WARNING: That was a lame karma joke. Do *NOT* slam your Empeg down on the table real hard! I repeat: Do *NOT* slam your Empeg down on the table real hard!

(This is not directed at you. You never know who'll wander through here, though, and I would feel like sooo totally guilty if anybody ever tried that technique at my behest! Non-sequitur: Has anybody ever gotten rid of a big ecapsulated whatyamacallit nodule in somebody's hand with a nice heavy book? Well, I can tell you I have. Now *that's* fun!)

#248277 - 02/02/2005 23:18 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: jimhogan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
WARNING: That was a lame karma joke. Do *NOT* slam your Empeg down on the table real hard! I repeat: Do *NOT* slam your Empeg down on the table real hard!

Yeah, use your knee instead.

#248278 - 03/02/2005 01:27 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
Mataglap
enthusiast

WELL, the P4 compiles are noticebly faster than the generic x86 compiles. Just the way it is.

Actually I mispoke, all of the upload and lost connection problems are with jEmplode. I've posted about some of these problems before, but nobody else seems to have the same issues.

I was using Emplode 2.1 for a very long time with no problems, and then something bad happened, and then a laptop got stolen, and then some other stuff happened, so I just haven't tried it recently.

--Nathan

#248279 - 03/02/2005 03:53 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: jimhogan]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
Has anybody ever gotten rid of a big ecapsulated whatyamacallit nodule in somebody's hand with a nice heavy book?

<offtopic>A ganglion cyst. I've got one on my left hand, and I can have an orthopedic surgeon remove it for a total out of pocket of around $1500 after my insurance deductible and all that. Or, I've also been told about the big heavy book trick. I honestly can't decided which option's worse: the pain of the book or the pain of the $1500 dollars. At this point, $1500 seems more painful, though.</offtopic>

#248280 - 03/02/2005 04:02 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: canuckInOR]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:

I guess my last question now (not necessarily directed at you, but the thread readers in general), is, what are the ramifications of upgrading, and then deciding to down-grade back to v2.0final?

I'm back on topic now...

I switched back and forth between v2 and v3 for a little while, and ran into a bit of a problem. I was getting goofy problems with autochange visuals, and I finally traced it to a problem of switching between versions. What would happen is that I'd turn autochange on a time interval on v3, then when I reverted to v2, the visuals would change sometimes every couple of seconds. No change to the visual settings would fix this. The fix was either to nuke the flash with player -i, or go back to v3 to turn off autochange.

I haven't tried alpha 8 yet, so maybe it's not a problem anymore. Even if it was, you'd just have to stay away from autochange to avoid it.

#248281 - 03/02/2005 04:55 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: adavidw]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I never tried to get rid of a ganglion cyst via the book trick. I also never saw a doctor. They would eventually break and dissipate on their own, then re-develop months later.

The book trick always sounded dangerous to me. Loss of the use of one of my guitar-playing hands, even if temporarily, due to a painful blunt injury, would be a problem.

Lately, I haven't had one. It might be because I've been on prescription anti-allergy pills for a nasal thing unrelated to the cysts.

#248282 - 03/02/2005 06:28 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Loss of the use of one of my guitar-playing hands...would be a problem.

How many non-guitar-playing hands do you have, Tony?

#248283 - 03/02/2005 07:06 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, there's the prehensile parts...

#248284 - 03/02/2005 14:14 Re: State of Ogg Vorbis on Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The book trick always sounded dangerous to me.

Ach, Cookie disynchronization! I see belatedly that the non-sequitur continued! Anyhow, now we thankfully have a dedicated Ganglion Cyst thread. Some guy named Bitt looking for *factual* information. Factual information??