Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#249760 - 17/02/2005 07:36 Using second drive slot with single drive installed?
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi all,

I've been inflicted with the old faulty cable crimping issue. I just tried moving the drive to the second drive bay, using the end connector, per the FAQ, but I've now gone from intermittent freezing to the terminal no hard disk found error. I'm pretty sure it's connected correctly (red stripe on the right side, two pins showing on the right, none on the left), and I don't see any problems with the cable connection on the motherboard. Is there a jumper that I need to change somewhere, in addition to the cable change, or should I just double check the connections, and then order a new cable?

Cheers,

#249761 - 17/02/2005 11:24 Re: Using second drive slot with single drive installed? [Re: canuckInOR]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Double check the connections, especially on the main board. They make "look" good, but I usually use my thumb to rub the whole connector - making sure every pin is tight. You should be able to test it before putting it all back together too.

There should be no jumpers to change. Just set the juimper (if any) on the drive to make it Only or Master (which would be the same as before you moved the drive).

#249762 - 17/02/2005 13:39 Re: Using second drive slot with single drive installed? [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Make absolutely, positively, super-duper sure that you didn't plug it in off-by-one-pin.

#249763 - 18/02/2005 06:01 Re: Using second drive slot with single drive installed? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Gah. The cable wasn't fully seated on the motherboard. I guess that just goes to show that one shouldn't be doing first-time Empeg repairs when one is really supposed to be in bed.