Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25024 - 16/01/2001 13:57 Ratings system.
94cobra
enthusiast

I would like to see a ratings system. Two different uses along the same lines.

First an check box on any track denoting R content, such as rap with lots of cus words or comedy tracks with things my kids shouldn't here. This would be useful for me as I random play the entire Empeg contents from time to time. If it were an option in the menu like shuffle is. The player would just over look any songs marked in Emplode as being R rated. Any song not mark is available to be played. Great feature for those of use who want to filter some of our content if lets say our kids or our parents are in the car.

Second, if there were a rating scale of how good a song is. First of all, I like all the songs I put on my player, but some obviously better than others. I am thinking of a 1-3 scale or something. When the player randomizes it plays the 1's first, then the two and then the three's. From Emplode you simply set the default as always a 3. That way when I choose a song as a two or one it will random play those first before. Kind of like the "radio" of your Empeg. They play the most popular songs first, with a few mixed in that are no so popular.

Then as far as wishes go. How about a visual that displays an icon associated to a playlist. You could even do it for every song but that might eat up a little to much room. If you had the Info on and no visuals the upper right side is free to display a small icon. Like I have my playlist setup for type of music then artists. For the Rock and Roll playlist it could display a guitar. The if I was listening to Iron Maiden for instance, it would display a skull. What is normally used on their albums. Most bands have a pic that associates them.
I am not asking Empeg to give us all those graphics, just the ability to link a playlist to a graphic that we come up with. Kinda like the boot logos. Gives us more customizeability in our units. I don't think that would be all that hard.

What do yall think?

Proud Owner of MK2 080000558 - 18gb Blue

#25025 - 16/01/2001 14:25 Re: Ratings system. [Re: 94cobra]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As far as your first suggestion (mark tracks with foul language), this will be handled in 1.1 via a feature called Wendy Filters. Search for "Wendy" on the BBS and you can get more information.

#25026 - 16/01/2001 14:27 Re: Ratings system. [Re: 94cobra]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
First an check box on any track denoting R content...Any song not mark is available to be played.

This sounds a lot like the long-promised but never seen "Wendy Filter".

Is that still in the works?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#25027 - 16/01/2001 14:28 Re: Ratings system. [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
this will be handled in 1.1 via a feature called Wendy Filters.

OK, Tony, you beat me by two minutes!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#25028 - 16/01/2001 14:38 Re: Ratings system. [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
OK, Tony, you beat me by two minutes!

Actually, it was longer than that. I accidentally left it up on the "preview post" screen for several minutes as I went over to another window to do some real work. Then when I closed that window, I saw what I'd done and hit the "continue" button, hoping someone else hadn't yet beaten me to the punch.

#25029 - 17/01/2001 03:56 Re: Ratings system. [Re: tanstaafl.]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Part of 1.1, IIRC what we saw in Amersfoort.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#25030 - 17/01/2001 11:24 Re: Ratings system. [Re: tanstaafl.]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Wendy Filters were up and running on the version we took to CES

Rob

#25031 - 18/01/2001 05:07 Re: Ratings system. [Re: 94cobra]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
First

v1.1, it's called Wendy Filters (as everyone has already pointed out).

Second, if there were a rating scale of how good a song is.

I'd also like to see precisely this, but I doubt it'll make it into 1.1. Probably soon after, though.

Then if I was listening to Iron Maiden for instance, it would display a skull. What is normally used on their albums. Most bands have a pic that associates them.

Speaking personally, I find I very rarely need visual clues to tell me whether I'm listening to Iron Maiden or not... and for bands with more complex iconography (Pink Floyd, for instance, or Kula Shaker) the chances of getting something sensible on an empeg-sized display seem slim.

Peter

#25032 - 18/01/2001 08:23 Re: Ratings system. [Re: peter]
94cobra
enthusiast

Well, it's not a matter of needing to know by picture who is playing. The display tells me that, if I don't recognize the song to begin with(after all I had to put each one there). Just if you could associate pics with the playlists and such I think it would look much more "cool". After all we bough this for the "Cool" factor.

Proud Owner of MK2 080000558 - 18gb Blue

#25033 - 18/01/2001 09:19 Re: Ratings system. [Re: 94cobra]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I had a similar idea for putting into displayserver :
Store an image of the CD-cover on the empeg and show the image when browsing playlists in displayserver. Maybe in displayserver 2.0...

Frank van Gestel

#25034 - 20/01/2001 16:34 Re: Ratings system. [Re: fvgestel]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
heh heh... cool.

I've been saving album covers with each new CD I rip... I have yet to find a player I like that make use of it... Even though one of the newer ID3 formats appear to support it.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."