Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25308 - 20/01/2001 18:32 Nested Genres
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I don't think this has been asked, but a way to nest genres for more accurate searching would be a good thing...

For instance... I have a lot of files that come under the genre "Funk." This ends up being a pretty broad genre as it tends to include the "Funk Rock" stylings of the Red Hot Chili Peppers with the "Groovy Funk" of Galactic. A fun, if sometimes harsh mix... If there was a way, perhaps in Emplode, to create our own "Genre trees" we could choose the style of music with a higher granularity... as specific as one would want to take the time to create?

And don't get me started on my "Alternative" collection...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#25309 - 20/01/2001 22:07 Re: Nested Genres [Re: bootsy]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
If there was a way, perhaps in Emplode, to create our own "Genre trees" we could choose the style of music with a higher granularity... as specific as one would want to take the time to create?

You can get some of this today. You are not restricted to a predefined list of genres, you can put anything you want into the genre field (this applies to emplode and id3v2 tags but not id3v1 tags). So you can have "Funk Pop" and "Funky Groove" genres if you want. You wouldn't be able to just search for "Funk" and have both of them come up, though.

Borislav

#25310 - 21/01/2001 08:40 Re: Nested Genres [Re: borislav]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
this idea applies to this situation, but could be its own wish for other scenarios. it would be useful sometimes to be able to have a wildcard key. perhaps one of the non number keys could be used for a wildcard. for instance, you could search for "funk*". then you get all the funk, but when you just want "funk groovy", you have the option of simply keying in more of the search string to narrow it down.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#25311 - 21/01/2001 09:24 Re: Nested Genres [Re: bootsy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If playing songs by genre group and subgroup is important to you, may I suggest using the existing feature of nested playlists to do it?

You could have a "-By Genre-" playlist tree off the root, into which you drag copies of your other playlists.

#25312 - 21/01/2001 14:31 Re: Nested Genres [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
"may I suggest using the existing feature of nested playlists..."

Aww... but that's hard. That would work in most cases, but not in an Append by Genre situation. The substring would work too, but a lot more button presses I'm guessing.

I think I'll hold off for 1.1 release. At least then the Emplode search will be in and I might find a compromise.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."