Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250397 - 24/02/2005 21:26 Soldering iron for tuner assembly
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I've been feeling guilty for a while here, as I have tuner kit #6 sitting on a shelf unassembled. I'm hoping to fix that this weekend.

Assuming I head to frys to pick up a soldering iron, which one should I pick up? I'd like something decent enough to get me through the tuner kit without wishing I'd bought something else. I don't really want to spend too much on one either...

Any sugestions on price ranges, or features?

Matthew

#250398 - 25/02/2005 08:04 Re: Soldering iron for tuner assembly [Re: matthew_k]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
While I'm pretty confident I could do a tuner kit with something simple like this as long as the tip is fresh, since it's all through-hole components (I have a very similar - if not identical - with a very worn tip (to lazy to go hunt down a new one ) that sees use only on rough stuff like wires etc.
Somewhat nicer would his be
Really nice would be a temp. controlled soldering station and Weller makes nice stuff: example

I bought something similar - noname - at an autoparts store for about 1/4 of the price - I don't do enough soldering to justify a WEller... Has served me well on a tuner kit as well as some knob kits (SMD) and color modifications on all knobs and buttons of my car...

Whatever you get - get a sponge so you can keep the tip clean (included in the station, se the pic). A desoldering sucker is handy if you make a mistake - and some desoldering braid to get any remaining solder the sucker didn't get.

I'd say it depends a lot on if you intend to do surface mount components in the future - then definately get a temperature controlled iron/station - with a very fine tip. There should be a range of tip sizes available for the iron in question...

Soldering irons have been discussed before on the BBS, here are two threads, but not the one I was really thinking of... Seems my search fu is weak... THread 1 Thread 2

/MIchael

#250399 - 26/02/2005 17:38 Re: Soldering iron for tuner assembly [Re: mtempsch]
kday
new poster

Loc: Boston, MA
FWIW - I recently bought the digital version of that Weller temperature controlled station (WESD51) for $99 after $20 rebate. I bought it from WASSCO (online). Nice unit. Can't believe I waited so long to get a temperature controlled iron.

#250400 - 26/02/2005 18:00 Re: Soldering iron for tuner assembly [Re: kday]
belezeebub
addict

Naaa Go all out and use one of these babies they can solder the whole tuner with one touch

http://www.edmo.com/s14/D650.asp
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#250401 - 26/02/2005 21:13 Re: Soldering iron for tuner assembly [Re: belezeebub]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Naaa Go all out and use one of these babies they can solder the whole tuner with one touch

Yeah but you don't want it all soldered together in one massive blob either