Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250585 - 28/02/2005 18:10 Ipod your insides
music
addict

Evidently, this is super. duper. old. news.
But I just saw a clip about this on the news last night.

They showed a doctor holding a photo-iPod displaying a CAT scan or X-ray, and then using the scroll wheel to rotate the image through three dimensions.

Nice use of technology.
MUCH better than using an old light-box.

#250586 - 28/02/2005 18:30 Re: Ipod your insides [Re: music]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm guessing that the ipod isn't doing any 3D rendering. Or even using any custom software, even. I figure all they need to do in order to do the rotation is to have an image sequence pre-rendered, and then download them to the ipod in sequence order.

So really, all the ipod is doing is showing a sequence of images.

Whether using something with that small of a screen is useful for diagnostic imaging is a different question.

#250587 - 28/02/2005 18:37 Re: Ipod your insides [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I figure all they need to do in order to do the rotation is to have an image sequence pre-rendered, and then download them to the ipod in sequence order.

Yeah, they did a small bit on The Screen Savers on how to do a video like that. Seems to me this whole idea was created out of the annoyance that the iPod Photo doesn't play videos, which makes no sense to me at all, considering its price.

#250588 - 28/02/2005 18:50 Re: Ipod your insides [Re: music]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
MUCH better than using an old light-box.

The old light box has some amazing resolution though. Doctors reading an xray examine them under magnifying glasses.

Replacing the light box is one of the primary uses of the IBM t221 talked about a few days ago. Apperently it's considered "cheap" for such uses...

Matthew