I think someone posted not to long ago about the huge increase in fining that the FCC has done over the last couple of years. In relation to that, this article is interesting:

Activists Dominate Content Complaints

In it, it states that for the year 2003, 99.8% of all complaints came from the Parents Television Council. Give that the article is on the PTC web site, I'm guessing that it's true, or at least that it's something they'd aspire to.

Given that I've never heard of this organization before, I can't imagine that they have all that many members to generate all those complaints. And I wonder about their validity. The "File an FCC Complaint" link on the front page doesn't help. At least they aren't filling out the fields for you. And the fact that the article claims that the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau said it could find only 90 complaints from 23 individuals for a particular show. So each person sent three complaints about a single show? That doesn't seem kosher. The later fact that all but four were identical is hardly surprising.

I have no problem with these people having their web site and rating shows based on inappropriate-for-kids content. In fact, it's probably a pretty good service (though I do see a notable ignoring of context, like stating that something is bad when it is portrayed as bad in the show). But they seem to be having an undue influence on the FCC.