Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250767 - 02/03/2005 14:55 Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ?
Thorgal
new poster

Loc: Switzerland
Here is the situation:

SometimesI forgot to shutdown the player when I leave the car and the player stay in pause mode until I come back (generally the next day...). So it means that the player it "running" all the night and my battery is empty in a short period of time ( I have a very small car...).

So is there a way to configure the player to shutdown the player after a couple of minutes of inactivity ?

Rgs.
David

#250768 - 02/03/2005 14:56 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: Thorgal]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
So is there a way to configure the player to shutdown the player after a couple of minutes of inactivity ?

It already does this, if it's wired up correctly.

#250769 - 02/03/2005 15:07 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: Roger]
Thorgal
new poster

I know that, but in my car, when I turn off the ignition, it turn off EVERYTHING. It is like something ON or OFF. So this is the reason I keep the Empeg ON when the ignition is off. I just know that I have to shutdown manually the player.

I just wanted to know if there was a feature to automatically poweroff the empeg after ~5 min of pause mode.

And I dont really want to exchange the power connection on my empeg, because when you turn off the ignition it also turn off the amplifier output command and a very lound noise goes out the speakers.

#250770 - 02/03/2005 16:14 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: Thorgal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The best solution is to wire the unit correctly: there are TWO power connections to the empeg: one for permanent (battery) power, and the other for connection to the ignition switch power.

But back to your original question: The Hijack menu has a "Screen Blanker" function, which by default will ALSO put the player into standby mode 30-minutes after the screen blanker activates. In the car, this should actually power-off the player.

EDIT: The 30-minutes timeout can be customized in the config.ini file:

[hijack]
;@DC standby_minutes=5

Cheers

Edited by mlord (02/03/2005 16:17)

#250771 - 02/03/2005 16:44 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: mlord]
Thorgal
new poster

Txs for the tips. I will modify the INI file because I dont want to change the power wires. I want to continue to listent to music even if I switch off the car (I only have a kind of ON/OFF key in the car, so when I switch off the engine, there is no more power in the car even not the cigarettes lighter...)

#250772 - 02/03/2005 16:56 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: Thorgal]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I know that, but in my car, when I turn off the ignition, it turn off EVERYTHING. It is like something ON or OFF.

Then you have things wired wrong. That's what we're trying to tell you. It's supposed to do what you want it to do, as long as you wire it correctly.

There are two wires on the empeg player, one is orange and one is yellow. The yellow wire must be connected to the constant power (either directly to the battery through a proper fuse block, or whatever you've got it hooked up to now). The orange wire needs to be connected to ignition-switched power, which is the "everything off" you just described.

If you connect it that way, then it should do exactly what you are asking for it to do.

Quote:
And I dont really want to exchange the power connection on my empeg, because when you turn off the ignition it also turn off the amplifier output command and a very lound noise goes out the speakers.

Again, this is because you've WIRED IT WRONG. If you wire it correctly, it won't do that.

There is sometimes a bug with that, and if so, you can fix that bug as described here.

#250773 - 02/03/2005 17:11 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: Thorgal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Txs for the tips. I will modify the INI file because I dont want to change the power wires. I want to continue to listent to music even if I switch off the car (I only have a kind of ON/OFF key in the car, so when I switch off the engine, there is no more power in the car even not the cigarettes lighter...)

That all sounds like any car I've ever worked on, including my own. The ignition switch is SUPPOSED to be an ON/OFF thing -- nothing unusual there. Again, your Empeg is installed incorrectly, and if you fix that, the rest will behave like you want it to.

EDIT: but without an ACC key position, the amplifier would still be a nuisance, I suppose.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (02/03/2005 17:12)

#250774 - 02/03/2005 20:42 Re: Another good question: AutoPowerOff feature ? [Re: mlord]
Thorgal
new poster

Txs guys..

I will check the connections this week end. I also have seen that the strong noise during the engine stop could be corrected by following the steps described in the FAQ.

I will get in touch arround here next week and tell you the result.

Have a good end of week.
Rgs.
David