Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250946 - 03/03/2005 16:29 No Hard Drive Found, MK2
PexElroy
new poster

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hello everyone,
I own a MK2 EMPEG (about 2+ years) and I am not a technical guy on them personally. I've sort of relied on my local cousin to help me on technical issues with it, and recently the deck is not seeing my hard drive and has had this symptom in the past, where my cousin would try to get the IDE connection to connect better, but recently the deck will not see my 40GB hard drive 80% of the time on boot-up. The deck was not dropped, bumped or shaken - I care for the deck very well, and use a pro hard foamed case for any transport.

When my cousin took apart (knows how to beyond me) my MK2 this week, and he tried to fix the IDE connections again by soldering and it did not resolve the problem of 'No Hard Drive Found', and he too has a MK2 and swapped my Hard drive with his, and it still did not boot right and gave the same error message

I feel my cousin and I have hit a wall, and I would like to send my MK2 deck to someone here or to the right person(s), and get it looked at and fixed, because we both feel it is a circuit board problem, bad IDE cable/connection, or bad chip on the board, and I was hoping for any advice anyone here may have or any help. I can fix it finically, so the goal is to mail my MK2 it to a safe and reliable source to get it examined and repaired - because I enjoy my MK2.

Your time, help, and advice are truly appreciated.
Please feel free to eMail me or reply to post.

Thank you.
Robert

#250947 - 03/03/2005 16:35 Re: No Hard Drive Found, MK2 [Re: PexElroy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
One possibility is that the hard drive itself has gone Tango Uniform. Have you tried swapping it into your friend's player?

Have you been through this entire list?

You only mentioned one repair, the soldering. That's not generally the first thing you're supposed to try.

#250948 - 03/03/2005 16:58 Re: No Hard Drive Found, MK2 [Re: tfabris]
PexElroy
new poster

Thanks Tony.

And when the HD got strange, randomly the EMPEG might freeze when using a button or the volume and I'll be forced to reset the deck.

#250949 - 03/03/2005 21:37 Re: No Hard Drive Found, MK2 [Re: PexElroy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
he tried to fix the IDE connections again by soldering

This is living very dangerously.

Rob Schofield, the authorized empeg repair person, had this to say about soldering on the IDE header.

I would look upon that advice as being worthy of respect.

Before you go too far in exploring what might be wrong with the player, do as Tony suggested and either swap your hard drive into a known good player, or try the hard drive from a known good player in your unit, and see where the problem travels.

tanstaafl.

#250950 - 04/03/2005 05:12 Re: No Hard Drive Found, MK2 [Re: tanstaafl.]
PexElroy
new poster

Thanks tanstaafl - sadly my local contact can't help me in repairing or diagnosing my EMPEG problem (no hard drive found), so I have no local technical support and I can't repair it myself (I just use it, not a tech power user on it).

Where can I get my EMPEG MK2 professionally examined and repaired?

I live in Scottsdale, AZ.
Thank you.

#250951 - 04/03/2005 07:18 Re: No Hard Drive Found, MK2 [Re: PexElroy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Click on the Eutronix link at the top of the page.

#250952 - 04/03/2005 13:57 Re: No Hard Drive Found, MK2 [Re: andy]
PexElroy
new poster

Thank you andy - I thought it was them, but just wanted to be sure.