Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25192 - 19/01/2001 02:35 Sled question
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
How does the empeg know when it is in the sled? Is this based strictly on where the power is coming from? What I am getting at is that in order to minimize wear and tear on the RCA and power connectors I would like to make a sled to use with my empeg at home, but I want it to use the home personality. Would it be possible to use one of the wires (maybe the light sence or mute line) as a location line instead? I.e. the option to set with emplode that if the mute line is high the unit would assume that it is at home?

-Mike

#25193 - 19/01/2001 02:45 Re: Sled question [Re: mcomb]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Would it be possible to use one of the wires (maybe the light sence or mute line) as a location line instead? I.e. the option to set with emplode that if the mute line is high the unit would assume that it is at home?

Tell you what: you build me a component box for the empeg and I'll write you a kernel patch that does what you want.

Borislav

#25194 - 19/01/2001 03:56 Re: Sled question [Re: mcomb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It knows it's at home when the power jack is plugged in. If it's not plugged in, and it's still getting power, it thinks it's in the car.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#25195 - 19/01/2001 09:24 Re: Sled question [Re: Roger]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
It knows it's at home when the power jack is plugged in. If it's not plugged in, and it's still getting power, it thinks it's in the car

Does the power supply switch over to the plug if it senses the power jack, as well? I mean, could I plug in a "dummy" jack while it's docked to make it think it's at home?
Thanks,
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#25196 - 19/01/2001 09:39 Re: Sled question [Re: mcomb]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
If you minimise the wear on the RCA connectors then you are going to increase wear on the docking connector. Given that the RCA connectors are significantly cheaper (and probably more durable) that might not be a good idea.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#25197 - 19/01/2001 09:39 Re: Sled question [Re: Dearing]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I mean, could I plug in a "dummy" jack while it's docked to make it think it's at home?

Yes.

Peter

#25198 - 19/01/2001 11:51 Re: Sled question [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I mean, could I plug in a "dummy" jack while it's docked to make it think it's at home?
Yes.

This is a fantastic idea!

I have wondered about how I could more easily dock my Empeg at home. I mean, it's not a big problem to connect the cables in the back, but I always liked the idea of using a sled for home docking. The only thing stopping me was the home/car personality issue, and this tip seems to take care of that.

Hmmm, I'll have to think about this some more.

#25199 - 20/01/2001 03:00 Re: Sled question [Re: andy]
mcomb
pooh-bah

I am actually more concerned about the power lead which is starting to wear a bit and get harder to insert. You see I use my empeg at work and home every day. So it get plugged and unplugged at least a half a dozen times every day (it comes with me to lunch as well). The docking connector seems more capable of handling this than RCA leads and the power lead which are more or less designed for in home audio only to be plugged and unplugged a few times. -Mike

#25200 - 20/01/2001 03:02 Re: Sled question [Re: borislav]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Hmmm, tempting but I think I will do with the dummy plug idea. Plus I was just planning to use an extra empeg sled mounted into a PC case at my desk anyway. -Mike

#25201 - 20/01/2001 03:57 Re: Sled question [Re: mcomb]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I was just planning to use an extra empeg sled mounted into a PC case at my desk anyway.

That's a thought... but a quick check shows that the sled would be much wider than a standard 5 1/4" bay. Any fancy cutting involved?

Borislav

#25202 - 20/01/2001 09:37 Re: Sled question [Re: mcomb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I am actually more concerned about the power lead which is starting to wear a bit and get harder to insert. You see I use my empeg at work and home every day. So it get plugged and unplugged at least a half a dozen times every day (it comes with me to lunch as well).

This is strange. I used my Mk1 in precisely this fashion for over a year and never had any trouble with the connector. Of course, I'll have to see how the Mk2 fares over time.

Can you give us more details about the wear problems you're having?

#25203 - 20/01/2001 14:09 Re: Sled question [Re: borislav]
mcomb
pooh-bah

I have not gotten that far yet. Just thinking what would be possible and I already have this ugly PC on my desk running FreeBSD as my router. I think it would be possible to widen one of its 5.25 inch bays because the case itself if about seven inches wide, but it would definately require some cutting and I am not sure if it could be done in an aestetically pleasing way. -Mike

#25204 - 20/01/2001 14:14 Re: Sled question [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Not really as their is not much visible ware. What is happening is that the power connector is getting a little harder to insert. It feels like it catches and then with a little extra force slides on OK. I have only started to notice this in the last couple weeks (had my empeg since September I think). My assumption is that I am wearing down the polished metal in the connector somewhere, but I don't really know if it is on the male or female end of the connector. This may never be a problem, but it is what started me thinking setting up some sort of sled for home. -Mike

#25205 - 20/01/2001 21:43 Re: Sled question [Re: mcomb]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
...the case itself if about seven inches wide...

Have you thought of going in thru the side? Crossways to the drive bay. That should look a lot better than trying to widen the normal slot.

-- Glenn