Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#253147 - 31/03/2005 23:11 photo program wanted
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.,

Does anyone here know of a program, preferably either free or cheap, that can stitch together photos with arbitrary rotation? Canon Photostitch and others of that type require all the images to have a similar orientation, but I want to create a large mosaic from a load of photos that aren't necessarily all pointing the same way even though they overlap.

The photos come, of course, from the air via a model aircraft. My current camera plane has an Ixus 400 with a 1GB CF card in it, triggered by an external radio-controlled shot sequencer. I can take pictures automatically every 4 seconds for about half an hour, and at about 300 meters and up at the normal sort of airspeed they overlap by about 20% or so. What I want to be able to do is fly the thing back and forth in a sort of raster pattern over an area of a square kilometer or so, take all the best, adjacent pictures, and put them together into one huge image.

Sure, I can do it manually with photoshop, but it's a hell of a lot of work. If there is something that will do a lot of it automatically that would help.

Any ideas?

pca

#253148 - 01/04/2005 04:23 Re: photo program wanted [Re: pca]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
one thing i can think of is you reduce the time between shots to about the minimum that the camera can handle so you get more overlap, then get a script that will crop all pics to squares. Then take the squares and stitch them together

#253149 - 01/04/2005 06:56 Re: photo program wanted [Re: pca]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
The most technically capable software I have seen is the free Panorama Tools:

http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/

I haven't really used it much, but although it might take quite a bit of effort I am pretty sure that it can be done.

Gareth

#253150 - 01/04/2005 08:16 Re: photo program wanted [Re: pca]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Sure, I can do it manually with photoshop, but it's a hell of a lot of work. If there is something that will do a lot of it automatically that would help.

Automatic panorama-stitching software does tend to assume that all the shots are taken from roughly the same point. 2D aerial photograph stitching, where you're not at exactly the same height the whole time, and you only get 20% overlap (enough to see both sides of a vertical object in the overlap area), is a much harder problem and I don't think you'll find a faster solution than using manual stitching (and you'll need a good manual stitching program that allows arbitrary 2D transformations between frames). Even Videorbits only does 1D stitching (you can make a linear panorama but not a tiled one) and to do it automatically it needs ~95% overlap.

Peter

#253151 - 01/04/2005 08:20 Re: photo program wanted [Re: peter]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
My Nikon came with a piece of stitching software that allows you to do tiled stitching.

#253152 - 01/04/2005 11:27 Re: photo program wanted [Re: pca]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
the GIS department at my place of employment pretty much does everything by hand.
If you cannot ensure accurate rotation, then stitching has to manual. Even satellite imagary needs tweaking like that, with some frames at 90.125 degrees and others at 89.975 the straight lines are never quite right.
It would be pretty inconsistent from a model aircraft in every respect, even Somenzini is not that good.

#253153 - 01/04/2005 11:41 Re: photo program wanted [Re: ashmoore]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
for those who do not know what some people call a model airplane and now they are flown
Quique Somenzini

Edited by ashmoore (01/04/2005 16:22)

#253154 - 01/04/2005 11:46 Re: photo program wanted [Re: ashmoore]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Odd shape/layout for a helicopter...

#253155 - 01/04/2005 20:29 Re: photo program wanted [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Arbitrary rotation, I think, is the only remaining feature missing from "The Panorama Factory", which is currently the best panorama-creation program I've gotten my hands on so far.

I'm pretty sure it lets you rotate the images in 90-degree increments, just not arbitrarily.