Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#254047 - 12/04/2005 17:00 Top Gear gets a bashing....
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK

Andy M

#254048 - 12/04/2005 17:14 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, ramming a car into an historic tree does seem a little ... uhh ... beyond the pale.

#254049 - 12/04/2005 17:18 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Yeah, it's been all over the motoring forums and newsgroups at the weekend.

Those Transport 2000 guys are completely nuts. Their utopia is a car-free world where everybody's lfe revolves around the bus and train timetables fluffy bunnies play in the fields where the M25 once was.

Needeless to say when the new series starts (soon) the Top Gear team will surely do something funny in return, they have previous mentioned T2000 and their interesing policies. Apparently they are currently filming a special "Top Gear USA". Should be interesting considering the scathing attitude JC has for anything built for the US. (although he did love the new Viper, had good words for the C6 and bought a Ford GT)

Gareth

#254050 - 12/04/2005 17:34 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, ramming a car into an historic tree does seem a little ... uhh ... beyond the pale.

I don't know about it being historic, it certainly didn't cause any damage to it.

Andy M

#254051 - 12/04/2005 17:36 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: wfaulk]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

I'm not sure it was historic as such, but it was a perfectly good tree I guess.

You should be able to see the Toyota truck story here, it really is worth a look although the sound quality is pants:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/prog28/toyota.shtml

Gareth

#254052 - 12/04/2005 17:58 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'm sure it caused more damage to the tree than if they'd run the car into a barrier on their test course.

#254053 - 12/04/2005 18:20 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

True, and I don't condone hitting trees with cars, it really messes with your paintwork. They aren't nearly as bad as these tree huggers claim they are.

Andy M

#254054 - 12/04/2005 18:24 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, I totally believe it, but that particular named incident is just stupid.

#254055 - 12/04/2005 18:59 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

I'm sure it's something they thought would be amusing without really thinking it through. It certainly provided some surprise when I saw it.

Andy M

#254056 - 12/04/2005 19:09 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
I really like Top Gear, but even I have to admit that I thought that when the programme aired they were taking a few liberties. I can't really remember it doing any damage to the tree, but they also caught it on a wall and from memory they did knock a little bit off, I'd be ticked off if I saw somebody doing that to my wall!

If they'd have done it out in the middle of knowhere nobody would have batted an eyelid or compained.

I remember thinking when the other programme aired where he took the land rover up the side of the mountain that there would be complaints. I really don't think they needed to do that, it was a bit of a shame that they did it, but I'm sure it didn't take long for the area to recover.

The people who watch the programme are into cars, they watch top gear because they like what they see, I can't believe for a single minute that anybody who watched those programmes would drive their car into a tree or drive it up the side of a boggy mountain!

I can't see what you'd achieve by banning it, it's entertainment, people don't watch it figure out what car they're going to buy next! I'm sure the guys are loving this little bit of press and it'll be mentioned in the upcoming series.

(plus they blow up caravans which really seals the deal!)

Edited by sn00p (12/04/2005 19:10)

#254057 - 12/04/2005 19:29 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: sn00p]
andym
carpal tunnel

As a slight aside, did you get a PM that I sent you a couple of weeks back?

Andy M

#254058 - 12/04/2005 19:52 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: g_attrill]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
Those Transport 2000 guys are completely nuts. Their utopia is a car-free world where everybody's lfe revolves around the bus and train timetables fluffy bunnies play in the fields where the M25 once was.

I quite like the idea of not having to have a car, I wish our transport system was good enough so I could get everywhere I want to go with what I want to take there, but we are a very long way off that.

Those Transport 2000 nerds don't help their cause, making everyone hate you is no way to put your point across. My Dad is what you might call a responsible driver and he loves TopGear, it doesn't make him drive around like an idiot.

And who gives a toss about a 30 year old tree anyway, how about taking a trip around to the otherside of the world where 1000 year old rain forests are being ripped up just so I can by Corned Beef from Aldi for 23p, now there is an issue that deserves attention.

Cheers

Cris.

#254059 - 12/04/2005 22:47 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: Cris]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Quote:
And who gives a toss about a 30 year old tree anyway

I'm hoping that was a misprint in the article... a 30 year old chestnut tree wouldn't put up much resistance!
I planted a chestnut in the back garden when I was a nipper, it's approaching 30 by now, and it's still little more than a twig
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#254060 - 12/04/2005 22:54 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
They should have chopped the tree down, trimmed it of branches, cut it into rough-cut lumber, plane the boards and then build a wooden baracade.

Bruno

Then rammed the truck through it. That story made me think I was reading something out of the US. Just another self-interested lobby group. Nothing more. Like most others, I doubt they know very much about the environment.

#254061 - 13/04/2005 06:11 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I quite like the idea of not having to have a car, I wish our transport system was good enough so I could get everywhere I want to go with what I want to take there, but we are a very long way off that.

So be honest, I don't think we'd ever acheive that. Until someone gets teleportation working. The only time I've ever really been able to do without a car was when I lived in Ealing. The tube station was 5 minutes walk from my house and busses were frequent. Although I did used to get a taxi home at night after work (paid for by the company).

The other big issue is the rounding up and extermination of nutters and scallies. These two groups alone make public transport unusable for me. You only have to meet one schizophrenic heroin addict on a train to really turn you off the whole idea. That happened when I was a student returning to uni from visit home. I bought a car shortly afterwards.

Maybe Ford should use it as the basis for an advert.... 'Tired of being stabbed on the Bus by someone who thinks you're Satan? The 2005 Ford Focus.... Nutter free in the UK since 1903....'

Andy M

#254062 - 13/04/2005 08:16 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Since owning the Smart I have done allot of thinking about what I use my car for. I could do without it.

I use it for...

Getting to work - I could move my van so I start nearer to transport links
Go Shopping - Could use Tesco online or similar, and Morrisions is 5 minutes from my house but I choose to drive to Sainsburys
Visit Girlfriend - I could go on the train/bus
Take things home from shopping - Get it delivered.

I think the car gives us freedom but it not a right to have one. We all know oil is going to run out some day, what will we all do then ??? I can't see solar cars working in Leeds very well.

I am all for a better transport system, I would pay more tax to get one, but like you said I won't use the current system due to the risk of having someone sitting next to my who leaves my smelling a little like digestive buiscuits and urine

Cheers

Cris.

#254063 - 13/04/2005 08:18 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Public transport in the UK - I'm just sooo not interested. If they did it as well as the Germans, say, then yes, but until then I'll either drive or fly everywhere (yes I know flying is public transport, and business class is way overpriced, but I do like the free champagne)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#254064 - 13/04/2005 08:24 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Whoops, sorry! I missed it. Reading now....

#254065 - 13/04/2005 12:43 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
They should have chopped the tree down, trimmed it of branches, cut it into rough-cut lumber, plane the boards and then build a wooden baracade.

That would be fine, if it was their tree, which it apparently wasn't, based on the outcry of the townsfolk.

#254066 - 13/04/2005 13:04 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Getting to work - I could move my van so I start nearer to transport links

I don't understand that. Where's your van the rest of the time?

Quote:
Go Shopping - Could use Tesco online or similar, and Morrisions is 5 minutes from my house but I choose to drive to Sainsburys

Suppose if the delivery costs offset the amount you'd pay on a car then it'd probably make sense.

Andy M

#254067 - 13/04/2005 13:06 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
Redrum
old hand

"tested the durability of a truck by ramming it into a 30-year-old chestnut tree, infuriating locals in the Somerset village of Churchill. "

I can just see the towns people carrying pitch forks and torches all heading towards Top Gears castle. And for some reason it’s all in black and white.

#254068 - 13/04/2005 13:09 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
based on the outcry of the townsfolk.

I can imagine them now, pitchforks waving, burning out-of-towners, throwing pigs......

EDIT: Wow simultaneous mind link

Edited by andym (13/04/2005 13:09)

Andy M

#254069 - 13/04/2005 14:52 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Due to your standard corperate rubbish I have to park my van away from the logical local exchange.

Here are the reasons...

1 - Van kept on getting broken into at local exchanged, 3 break ins in 6 months and you have to move it.
2 - Next exchange has very little parking, so no room
3 - Can't keep it at home, no room
4 - All other exchanges in the area at the time were "full"

Answer - I have to travel 4 miles too and from work every day, not much I guess, but I could walk to my local exchange in 15 minutes. It doesn't bother me anymore, I've been doing it for 6 years now.

Cheers

Cris.

#254070 - 13/04/2005 15:13 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: andym]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
The only time I've ever really been able to do without a car was when I lived in Ealing.

Cambridge works quite well, too; the only times I've really felt that not being able to drive was a disadvantage, have been on holiday. But as Mike pointed out the last time I said that, the very worst drivers are those who only drive for two weeks in the year, and then in a hire car and on the wrong side of the road...

Peter

#254071 - 13/04/2005 22:38 Re: Top Gear gets a bashing.... [Re: g_attrill]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Yeah, it's been all over the motoring forums and newsgroups at the weekend.

At an hour headway between buses, using transit is annoying for commuting. At 20 minutes it's ok much of the time. At 10, it's within fudging distance. When I moved here I had no car, and the buses ran something weird like 38 minutes apart. It's less often now, and lo, I drive much more. Heck, I'd still suck it up if I got a seat on the bus on the return trip, a laptop and a cell phone equals more work time.