Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25546 - 24/01/2001 12:50 not fitting inside metal sleve well in car
rockstar
enthusiast

I don't get it, the empeg sits in teh car, but all around it you can see the metal sleeve, like the sleve is bent a whole lot, or the epeg face isn't big enough to cover it all. Anyone else experience this? i haven't seen it and i wonder if tehre is something wrong with my sleve, like it got tweaked and i need to order another.

I guess i can take a pic if necessary, but let me attach one i do already have. although it is not that clear.

It just seems liek the other install pics i have seen are a lot cleaner then mine, and i am having 2 probs,

#1 the new vw's really have no place to snap in tabs, so the sleeve wants to pull out an inch each time,

#2 the mempeg doesn't look like it covers teh sleeve well, so you see the metal sleve on 3 sides of it. I am rambling, i was curious if anyone else noticed this, here is a pic. Look at the top of the empeg.

#25547 - 24/01/2001 13:00 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
#1 the new vw's really have no place to snap in tabs, so the sleeve wants to pull out an inch each time,

You probably need to get a proper DIN mounting kit from Crutchfield or a car stereo dealership. There is a screw hole in the back center of the sleeve that can help mount stuff to kits like that.

In my case (not on a VW), I drilled holes in the sleeve and screwed the sleeve to the dash frame.

the mempeg doesn't look like it covers teh sleeve well, so you see the metal sleve on 3 sides of it.

This might be solved by a proper dash kit from a car stereo dealership. These sorts of things usually crop up when you just try to "stick the stereo in the hole".

However, I also could see some air around the sleeve on my Honda installation. So I took a piece of black plastic and cut a rectangular trim shape out of it, then glued that to the front edge of the sleeve. Now it looks perfect.

Pics of my Mk1 install (including sleeve trim and side screws) are available at my web site -- click on my name at the bottom of this message. Although I now own a Mk2 for which I have no pictures, it used the same technique and looks similar.

#25548 - 24/01/2001 13:15 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
I initially used black tape, and then painted the front edge of the sleve black.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341

#25549 - 24/01/2001 14:57 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
when I mounted the empeg as a replacement for the monsoon deck in my jetta.. i didn't have any looks problems.. it fit perfect.. tho you're right about the tabs.. not all of them can be pushed down, or very far... but I was able to snap in enough of them to make it nice and snug.

12gig red mk2 -- 080000125

#25550 - 24/01/2001 21:10 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: SuperQ]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I havn't install the player in my car yet, but playing with the dash kit that I got from Crutchfield, it seems that the sleeve will always be visible. Most car stereos have a trim peice... I have to admit, for this price I am a little disappoinited...

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#25551 - 24/01/2001 22:28 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I don't get it, the empeg sits in teh car, but all around it you can see the metal sleeve, like the sleve is bent a whole lot, or the epeg face isn't big enough to cover it all. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, same here. I do have a proper mounting kit (I've seen the same one in several places so it might well be the only one available for my car). It hasn't started to bother me enough yet to do anything about it, though.

Borislav

#25552 - 24/01/2001 22:34 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
rockstar
enthusiast

in fairness, there is not a kit for my car, they don't make one, becuase for ANY staandard DIN sized unit, it fits right in, just the nature of the empeg face being about 1/8th inch too small all teh way around for american DIN standards.

#25553 - 25/01/2001 03:53 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
> just the nature of the empeg face being about 1/8th inch too small all teh way around for american DIN standards. American DIN standard?

--
David
// I'm probably not speaking on behalf of empeg/SONICblue here...

#25554 - 25/01/2001 07:35 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: David]
rockstar
enthusiast

well from wah ti understand, NA has diff din standards then europe.

#25555 - 25/01/2001 07:59 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Hmmm.... well, that does imply that it is not standard then; and don't forget the D in DIN stands for Deutch!

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#25556 - 25/01/2001 08:06 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: schofiel]
rockstar
enthusiast

yes i am aware of what din means, i just don't know exactly what the hell you would call teh americanized standard, it hink they are designated by numbers. And the only reason i wonder if the empeg is not standard is that i have had other decks in , without a face kit, and they fit perfectly. I can provide pics if desired.

-rs

#25557 - 25/01/2001 10:04 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: rockstar]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Each car presents its own obstacles. Personally I had to shave some of the factory dash trim to make the empeg fit in my 4runner. If it was bigger to accommodate the “American DIN”, I would have had BIG problems with my install. You spent some good money on the best car stereo in the world. Don’t skimp on the install. Get creative, or pay a pro!

“Cut off your nose to spite you face” comes to mind.

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue or Green)

#25558 - 25/01/2001 14:01 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: morrisdl]
MrFarm
stranger

Loc: Guildford
I have a mk4 golf. mk1 empeg.

My sled is bolted into the car chasis: The sled is very very tight, and i have to force it out and in every time. The little clip bits would no way hold it. Not doing too much damage tho..

On that point, is it meant to be this tight?

#25559 - 25/01/2001 14:18 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: MrFarm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The sled is very very tight, and i have to force it out and in every time.

On my mark 1, the side "bumps" scraped the sides of the player a bit too much and the player tended to get harder and harder to pull out each time as the scraping roughened-up the grooves.

My solution was to pound the bumps with a hammer to make them smaller, and then everything was fine.

The Mark2 solves this problem by cutting a U-shaped slot around each bump, in effect "spring loading" the bumps. Brian Mihulka made these cuts himself in his Mark1 sled:

In fact, I seem to remember either Hugo or Rob thanking Brian for the idea of springing those bumps. It's possible that he's the one responsible for that feature showing up on the Mark 2.

My sled is bolted into the car chasis:

Make sure that your bolts are not the source of the problem. The screws that hold in the hard disk tray on the sides of the empeg only barely clear those bumps, so if you add bolts to the equation, you have to make sure they don't hit the screws, either.

#25560 - 26/01/2001 12:05 Re: not fitting inside metal sleve well in car [Re: tfabris]
MrFarm
stranger

Loc: Guildford
Thanks very much, ill get my file out.