Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#258658 - 27/06/2005 15:33 Re: comparing GT's [Re: schofiel]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
How are things progressing Rob?

Andy M

#258659 - 28/06/2005 18:54 Re: Amersfoort [Re: schofiel]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
Hey, at least I changed the subject line (again).

Pim

#258660 - 28/06/2005 23:16 Re: comparing GT's [Re: BartDG]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

That would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. The government here considers those speed cameras as a new way of imposing taxes. Bah!

Sorry to thread hijack, but you need to start up a counter-attack system. I help out with www.pepipoo.com which is dedicated to fighting speeding tickets, usually by spotting flaws in the paperwork or by arguing the toss in court. However the best flaws are when they get the signage wrong - only this month some crafty guys the forum spotted that the signs in Upper Thames Street were incorrect and they had to refund £335,000 of fines (nearly $1m!), there have been a few more like that over the past few years, and quite possibly some bigger ones still in progress .

Gareth

#258661 - 28/06/2005 23:26 Re: comparing GT's [Re: g_attrill]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Here in the US, most, if not all, of the speed trap cameras are run by companies hired by the governments, and those companies get a portion of the proceeds. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me, but no one cares.

#258662 - 28/06/2005 23:43 Re: comparing GT's [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I thought speed trap cameras were illigal in the US? I'd heard (and not researched; my fault entirely) that tickets could only be issued by officers actually present at the violation.
Quote:
but no one cares

Or no one knows. Wow, I really wish I had a staff to help me create a website explaining politics and laws in plain language.

#258663 - 29/06/2005 00:16 Re: comparing GT's [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

They may be illegal in NJ, but they're all over the place here in Raleigh, NC. And notably, not at dangerous intersections, only ones where people frequently try to sneak through a yellow.

#258664 - 29/06/2005 00:36 Re: comparing GT's [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have read articles stating that the stop light cameras eliminate people running the red light but cause accidents. People slam on the brakes at the last second so they don't run the red light and get rear ended.

I know if they had those in Minnesota I would be slamming on the brakes when the light turns yellow so I can believe they would cause accidents.

I doubt the cities that use them care though the cameras are to steal more money not for safety.

Matt

#258665 - 29/06/2005 01:27 Re: comparing GT's [Re: FireFox31]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I know they exist in the US from reading newsgroups a couple years back. I remember someone saying that if you fight a ticket from an automatic camera, you can demand to face your accuser. Since a camera can't give a statement in court, you will be set free. I'm sure that's just someone's assumption (stated as fact) since that seems too easy. I'm sure the human being evaluating the output of the camera and writing your ticket can be called your accuser pretty easily. Whether they would come to court or not is another issue...

I have never noticed a speed camera in use anywhere in the US. Could be there, but I haven't seen it.

The Port Authority of NY/NJ monitors your speed between two or more points if you have an EZ Pass. This information is used to estimate how long it would take you to get to another point and display it on a highway sign. For example, there is such a sign in NJ on I-80 headed toward the George Washington Bridge. It tells you how long to get to the bridge in the expess lane and how long in the local lane. I don't know if your speed info is used to issue tickets, but it certainly could be.

#258666 - 29/06/2005 09:50 Re: comparing GT's [Re: g_attrill]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Ahhh - top man! I had to do some serious research at Pepipoo after I got a speeding ticket through which I reckon was pretty unjustified (ie a traffic cop on the road would have seen it for a safe overtaking manoevre, which a camera can't!)

Useful site! One of my usual reads, along with Safespeed.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#258667 - 29/06/2005 10:36 Re: comparing GT's [Re: robricc]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Quote:
The Port Authority of NY/NJ monitors your speed between two or more points if you have an EZ Pass. This information is used to estimate how long it would take you to get to another point and display it on a highway sign. For example, there is such a sign in NJ on I-80 headed toward the George Washington Bridge. It tells you how long to get to the bridge in the expess lane and how long in the local lane. I don't know if your speed info is used to issue tickets, but it certainly could be.

My parents tell of traveling the West Virginia Turnpike years ago. It was like the (pre EZ-Pass) NJ Turnpike - you'd get a toll ticket on entering the system, which they'd use to calculate your toll on the way out. But they would also do the math, and if you'd sped, you got a speeding ticket with your toll. Thanks for visiting West Virginia! Y'all come back now, y'hear!

So everyone stopped at the (state owned) travel plaza and donated to the cause there.

Some things never change.

-jk

#258668 - 29/06/2005 12:27 Re: comparing GT's [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I have never noticed a speed camera in use anywhere in the US. Could be there, but I haven't seen it.

This isn't just anecdotal knowledge on my part. I've seen them go off many times at night. The flash is enough to blind cars coming from the other direction, and the occasional double-flash is enough to set off a seizure.

#258669 - 29/06/2005 12:45 Re: comparing GT's [Re: wfaulk]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I was just stating that I haven't noticed one. Not trying to counter your statement.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2