Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#259547 - 01/07/2005 18:50 how do i get my playlist back in order??
Neurot
journeyman

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've had my empeg for years and thought I understood how the playlist ordering works in emplode. Somehow, I messed it up and can't get it back. My songs play alphabetically instead of in the track order. It's been this way for months and I've given up trying to fix it. I haven't even thought about it for weeks, so if you ask me what I tried, I couldn't even tell you.

Can someone just tell me step by step how to get my songs to play in track order? The way I have my songs ordered is:

alphabetic by artist, then chronological by album release, then by track number.

thanks!!

Jason

#259548 - 01/07/2005 18:55 Re: how do i get my playlist back in order?? [Re: Neurot]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

#259549 - 01/07/2005 18:57 Re: how do i get my playlist back in order?? [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Actually, it occurs to me that that entry could be more complete by saying that if you can get the tracks to display in the right order by sorting on a particular column, and then you hit the "A<->Z" toolbar button (I'm sure that the command exists elsewhere, too), it'll put the playlist in the displayed order. Very handy.

#259550 - 01/07/2005 19:52 Re: how do i get my playlist back in order?? [Re: wfaulk]
Neurot
journeyman

thanks, i'll try it tonight.

one thing that has always confused me is the idea of a playlist. if i choose playlists, i then see an alphabetic list of each artist. i choose the artist, then i pick an album, then i see a list of the songs. what exactly constitutes a playlist? the way i get my songs to the empeg is to go into windows explorer, select all my folders (which are organized into a folder called mp3's then subfolders for each artist, which each contain subfolders for each album) and drag n drop onto the word 'playlist' in emplode. does this mean that every artist is a playlist, or every album?

one other thing...after 58 posts and almost 5 years of posting in here, i'm still a 'stranger'...what does it take to be recognized...?

Jason

#259551 - 01/07/2005 20:02 Re: how do i get my playlist back in order?? [Re: Neurot]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
what does it take to be recognized...?

Sheer volume. You really must learn not to control your mouth so well.

#259552 - 01/07/2005 21:12 Re: how do i get my playlist back in order?? [Re: Neurot]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
does this mean that every artist is a playlist, or every album?

A playlist can be any group of songs you like.

In your example, a playlist is every album because you had folders for every album. But it could be a random collection of songs, or something specific. Depends on how you set up the folders.

An example the old Empeg web site used to give was something along the lines of, "you could have it be indie rock from UK bands between 1980 and 1995, anything is possible".

Here's a FAQ entry giving suggestions as to how to organize things.

#259553 - 02/07/2005 04:23 Re: how do i get my playlist back in order?? [Re: Neurot]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
When reading excellent Tony's explanation in the FAQ, pay attention to the fact that playlists are not just folders in the sense of, say, Windows filesystem. They are collections of references to tunes (something akin to Windows shortcuts or Unix links), so, for example, Tony's "Low key" playlist contains tunes that are also members of their respective artist/album playlist hierarchy (which itself is, of course, usual but optional way of organizing tunes). In other words, one can, without duplicating tune files (actual mp3s) have several different "views" of their collection.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue