Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#260476 - 15/07/2005 00:06 AC / DC Power question
visuvius
addict

I just got the empeg installed in a 05 Toyota Tacoma in a double din setup. The installer said that the empeg would only fit in properly if he permenantly set it in place - thus no removing to upload tunes. When it was removable, apparantly the sled and unit kept sliding around. Basically it was bitch to install.

So, if i am indeed stuck with an unremovable empeg, I figure he can just wire a ethernet cable to the glovebox and when I want to upload tunes, I can take my laptop to the car. My only question is, is the whole AC/DC power thing going to be an issue? Will Empload upload tunes to the empeg via my laptop while plugged in to the cars power?

OH also, anyone know what size allen (sp?) wrench is needed to remove the front piece? I could not find it in the FAQ.

Edited by visuvius (15/07/2005 00:09)

#260477 - 15/07/2005 00:17 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
You did not say who you had try to install the empeg. I took mine (the first time) to Car Toys (in Colorado). They tried to change the price halfway into the install (they couldn't change the price, as I had a confirmed written qoute), and it took them almost 6 hours to do. Then, there was so much ground noice and slop in the install, two friends and I 'played' with it on a Saturday, and it fits fine.
Bottom line, there is always away (check out all the empeg installs!), and an unremovable empeg is like a computer without a drive...why? And Third...check out your installer closely. I took my to CarToys, as I was told they use to install them new and were authorized to do so. I have heard others say how great they were, so there you are....get a second opinion...

#260478 - 15/07/2005 00:20 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: Ladmo]
visuvius
addict

I'm probably going to get a second opinon, but the place I went to is fairly reputable. Al & Ed's Autosound in So. Cal. All of the other stuff they installed for me (amp, components, Alpine deck) sound great.

If I am stuck with being unable to remove the empeg, I want to make sure that I"ll be able to upload to it while it is powered by the car.

#260479 - 15/07/2005 01:01 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
There's no good reason to let yourself get stuck with a shoddy install like that. If a shop says they cannot figure out how to install the sled without bolting the player into it, then it really is time to find another shop. Or pretty much any keen hobbiest.

Amateurs.

#260480 - 15/07/2005 01:30 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I found this not sure if it would help you or not, but figured Id post it in case... Can be bought here ..
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#260481 - 15/07/2005 02:48 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: SonicSnoop]
visuvius
addict

Quote:
I found this not sure if it would help you...

Thanks for looking for that. Unfooootunately ... Thats the same kit that I bought and even though it says it supports a double din install, it was still apparantly very difficult to get in. I've contacted directly both of the other main dash kit manufacturers -- Scosche keeps delaying their kit by months and Metra's was apparantly crap so they're starting all over again.

If this had been the 2004 Toyota Tacoma, everything would have been just fine. With the 2005, Toyota completely redisigned the Tacoma, inside and out. I got the truck October of last year and this dash kit came out last week. So I've been empegless for quite a while now and if it sounds like I'm settling, it's because I'm stoked that my listening choice isn't limited to NPR and the indie station that sort of comes in but not really. Can't stand CDs.

Quote:
Or pretty much any keen hobbiest.

I don't understand what this means?

#260482 - 15/07/2005 05:02 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
bjoern

Loc: Regensburg, Germany
Quote:

Quote:
Or pretty much any keen hobbiest.

I don't understand what this means?

I think what he means is that pretty much anyone with some basic electrical understanding and some experience in installing audio equipment in a car should be able to install your empeg just fine. I've always been way too cheap to ever have anyone install anything for me, LOL

#260483 - 15/07/2005 08:44 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Rubbish. If the installer is that bad, take it somewhere else. They are not worth the money they are charging you.

It really isn't a good idea to have the empeg permanently installed - you will then be subject to the usual risks of theft, and if the thieves fail they will inevitably damage it (witness what happened to Dave's install - broken handle).
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#260484 - 15/07/2005 09:55 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The front piece is removed by a 2.5mm allen wrench, but don't do that. Do not try to permanently install the empeg. There are a bunch of reasons not to, not the least of which is that leaving it in the car in extreme temperatures (in the sun or out in the freezing cold) will kill the hard disk.

I understand that some newer cars have designed their dashboards to make it very hard to install aftermarket stereos. In that case, you either choose a different solution than the empeg, or you find an installer who is willing to do the correct customization work to make it fit.

There are lots of examples of people on this BBS who have done a decent job of fitting the empeg into a non-DIN dashboard. Have some looks at the install gallery.

In fact, I think there might be a chance that MorrisDL's 4Runner Install might give a solution to your Toyota problem. He did a trick that involved moving the position of the docking connector and doing some trimming to the dash bezel, which allowed the empeg to be removable. Perhaps your Tacoma dash is the same as his 4Runner dash, or at least similar enough so that his trick will work for you, too.

#260485 - 15/07/2005 11:12 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Agreed. I've installed empegs in 6 vehicles now. 4 were japanese and needed dash trimming and holes drilled in the sled w/ low profile screws or bolts for mounting. 1 was a Ford pickup where it slid right in in five minutes, and the other was my S10 Blazer where I had to fabricate my own DIN pocket under the dash.

If you want your empeg in-dash and removable, it's very possible.

#260486 - 15/07/2005 14:44 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: tfabris]
visuvius
addict

Crap. I hadn't really thought of the other, non-music-transfer related implications of leaving it permenantly installed. I had wanted to install Emphatic and maybe upgrade to the new alpha at some point...I also tend to end up in some pretty ghetto areas occassionally.

Hopefully I can figure this out with the installer this weekend. Maybe if he, like you said, does some trim work or changes the position of the two decks. I'm also going to be looking out for the other dash kits that come out...whenever that is.

#260487 - 15/07/2005 16:54 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There are a bunch of reasons not to,

... not the least of which is that the case is not designed for permanent mounting.

And do me a favour - even though this sounds simplistic - please don't drill through the case! Metal filings and empegs don't mix....

#260488 - 15/07/2005 17:03 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: schofiel]
visuvius
addict

Ah, good tip. I'll have to remind the installer as I'm assuming they are going to try anything to get it to fit.

#260489 - 15/07/2005 17:52 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Oh my GOD! I am sorry, I'm bailing out of this thread now.

#260490 - 15/07/2005 18:00 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
Ah, good tip. I'll have to remind the installer as I'm assuming they are going to try anything to get it to fit.

As others have said, find another installer. The empeg sled is not dificult to mount so that the empeg can be removed. I've seen one install that was worth a non removable empeg, but it was a whole lot more work than making it removable.

Matthew

#260491 - 15/07/2005 18:14 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: matthew_k]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I think he should take it to Walmart to be installed. Their Fast and Furious brand subs are hawt!

#260492 - 15/07/2005 18:23 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: robricc]
visuvius
addict

?

#260493 - 15/07/2005 18:25 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: visuvius]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Just a stupid joke that comes from a recent thread where I was ridiculed for having tires mounted at Walmart.

#260494 - 15/07/2005 18:47 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: robricc]
visuvius
addict

Ahh ok. Heheh.

#260495 - 18/07/2005 14:42 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: tfabris]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Quote:
The front piece is removed by a 2.5mm allen wrench, but don't do that. Do not try to permanently install the empeg. There are a bunch of reasons not to, not the least of which is that leaving it in the car in extreme temperatures (in the sun or out in the freezing cold) will kill the hard disk.

I understand that some newer cars have designed their dashboards to make it very hard to install aftermarket stereos. In that case, you either choose a different solution than the empeg, or you find an installer who is willing to do the correct customization work to make it fit.

There are lots of examples of people on this BBS who have done a decent job of fitting the empeg into a non-DIN dashboard. Have some looks at the install gallery.

In fact, I think there might be a chance that MorrisDL's 4Runner Install might give a solution to your Toyota problem. He did a trick that involved moving the position of the docking connector and doing some trimming to the dash bezel, which allowed the empeg to be removable. Perhaps your Tacoma dash is the same as his 4Runner dash, or at least similar enough so that his trick will work for you, too.

I have a '98 4Runner, and redid my install based on the reference Tony made above. It worked great, but I still had to do some dremmel work on the radio bezel. Unfortunately, vehicles are now becoming more and more customized in their stereo setups. Its an unfortunate trend for anyone who want to easily customize their setups. So, I dont think you'll be able to do a standard drop in install. I cant see any of the shops being creative and saavy enough to deal with it either.

I'm in So. Cal too. I'll be glad to show you what I did with my '98 4Runner (which has the same dash as a '98 Taco), but I'm pretty sure the dash is now completely different. Another suggestion might be to look for a vehicle specific website that talks about customizing. I found http://www.4runners.org for info on my rig.

Good luck,
-Ted

#260496 - 21/07/2005 03:08 Re: AC / DC Power question [Re: TedP]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Another SoCal person, here! My Frontier has a double-din, but all the aftermarket install kits were made to fit the radio sled under the dash, and the empeg needs the lip of the sled over the dash. Long story short, the installer (Al & Ed's in Marina Del Ray) modified the dash, custom fit some extra pieces in place of a map pocket, and painted the sled to match. There were a few things they did that I wasn't too impressed with (such as not hooking up the headlight sense wire), but they spent about 12 hours on the thing. I vote with the others -- try a different installer.