Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262097 - 04/08/2005 09:34 I hate job interviews!
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Had an hour long job interview for an IT/Engineering manager job at a local TV station. As seems to be the case for things like that the first interview is all the management bollocks. Is it me or are there no right answers to the sort of questions that get asked at interviews like that? It's a shame that they don't ask any proper technical questions at that stage. Worse still I might have to wait 2 weeks before I find out wether I get a second interview.
Now I'm going to spent the next few weeks torturing myself by going over all the answers I gave in my head.

Andy M

#262098 - 04/08/2005 10:25 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
In my experience, for most of these type of interviews the answers you give aren't necessarily that important. It gives the interviewer a way to see how you respond.

After all, any technical details can be read off your CV and then confirmed with a couple of questions, but at the end of the day any manager worth their salt should be interested in you as a person, your aspirations, your drive and passion.

I always recommend people go for lots of interviews - not just ones for jobs they want - for practice!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#262099 - 04/08/2005 11:05 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
SteveH
new poster

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hating the management before you've even been offered the job, sounds like you're exactly who they're looking for!

Oh year, and well done for getting the interview in the first place.

Steve

#262100 - 04/08/2005 12:34 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: frog51]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
It gives the interviewer a way to see how you respond.
Exactly. Having just gone through the process myself (and now giving interviews for my replacement), I can definitely say most of the questions had no "correct" answer.

Some examples:
Your project has been developed and tested and is in the middle of deployment. It will go live in one week. The client comes to you and requests additional features, yet says the origional timeline must hold. What do you do?
Impossible situation of course- I responded that we could make the changes and miss the date or save the changes for a second release, recommending the latter. I also said that OT would not accomplish the goal. Of course, this wouldn't make the customer happy, but sometimes it's just an impossible task.

Another question I had was this one:
You have a task you know can be accomplished in a month and a half with two resources, but you only have one resource available. You are required to finish within a month and a half, so what do you do
To this one I responded either hire a contract help to augment the team or miss the date. OT would not do it. One person cannot do the work of two by putting in more hours.

In either case (and there were many more questions like these), it wasn't so much the answers she was interested as my demostration of understading software development issues. To give the answer "that's impossible" and not follow up would have been a poor answer, even if correct.

The really funny thing about these interviews was when they actually brought the users in and locked me in a room with them for an hour. I don't think they gave the users any clue as to what was going on- and in fact it seemed like they thought I was already on the job. I was informed that one modification should take, "about 30 mins" by one of the ladies! I carefully explained that without seeing the code I had no idea how long it would take, and that if it required an change to the way the data was stored then it could take months to implement if we wanted to make sure nothing else broke. This actually resonated with them because they've gone through a number of modifications that break other, semmingly unrelated things. The fact that I turned a somewhat negative group of users toward a positive discussion by the end really impressed the managers, so it was one of the more useful aspects to the whole process, even if it was a bit strange.

The big myth about interviewing is that people really put a lot of value into it. The truth is, you cannot make a solid, rational judgement after meeting with someone for an hour. Those who are charismatic and outgoing are always going to come off better, even though good IT people tend to have neither trait. I think the most important trait a software developer can have is creative ability, yet how in the world can you judge that in 60 minutes? Instead we get left being questioned about how well we know C# or Java- really useless since good development principles cross language boundries and new software languages are not hard to pick up.

Not that there's any real solution to the limitation of interviews- an interview is better than not meeting the person at all. I guess I just feel like people put too much stock into them and would do better to be more aware of the limitations.

#262101 - 04/08/2005 14:12 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I always recommend people go for lots of interviews - not just ones for jobs they want - for practice!

It sounds like something I'd like to do. The only problem is that these sorts of jobs don't come round very often, certainly in the northwest so if they do come up, chances are it's a job I'd really like to do anyway.

The job itself will be really cool, everything I want to do, the freedom and perfect environment to do it in and the paypacket to match. It'll be a real kick in the balls if I don't get it.

Spoke to my job mentor (old friend from uni and later the BBC) who seems to think judging from the questions I was asked and the answers I gave that I've got a reasonably good chance... and he's the biggest pessimist I know (SteveH running a close second )

Andy M

#262102 - 04/08/2005 15:54 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
(SteveH running a close second )

Maybe Darkstorm running third? I wonder what happened to him.

#262103 - 04/08/2005 16:56 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Fingers Crossed here, from an eternal optimist!

#262104 - 05/08/2005 05:21 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

Well - best of luck to you.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#262105 - 05/08/2005 08:30 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: JBjorgen]
SteveH
new poster

Loc: Manchester, UK
Quote:
(SteveH running a close second )

Thanks,
Remember, every silver lining has a cloud.

BTW, did you muster a suit for this one or rely on your charm and skillset to impress them?

Steve

#262106 - 07/08/2005 14:59 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: SteveH]
andym
carpal tunnel

I now have a suit. Although I did have to go out an buy a tie the day before. If I get another interview I might have to get another tie, that way it doesn't look like I only have one shirt and tie.

Andy M

#262107 - 08/08/2005 05:20 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

I'll mail you one from my extensive collection, waiting to go to the charity shop, I haven't worn one since March (Except for dinner at our Hotel in Wales), any colour preference?

#262108 - 08/08/2005 06:24 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: boxer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Nice one! I'll PM you.

Andy M

#262109 - 08/08/2005 08:42 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Ugh! Too late, the bin liner has left: Choice is now down to blue or blue!
I'll be keeping: Black, Winnie the Pooh and Father Christmas!

#262110 - 08/08/2005 11:25 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: boxer]
andym
carpal tunnel

I think blue could work. Is it dark blue?

Andy M

#262111 - 08/08/2005 11:49 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

SWMBO keeps telling me I have too many ties and that I need to 'rationalise' before moving house on the 26th...so potentially I'll cheer her up and zap one or two your way!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#262112 - 08/08/2005 12:36 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Wow this turning into Tie Aid! After meeting you in Amersfoort I just can't picture you in a suit. You looked like you were more at home dangling from a rope off a cliff (or maybe in high security vault looking for an unsecured workstation )

Andy M

#262113 - 08/08/2005 12:53 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Both a sort of mid blue, one in a fairly sober abstract pattern, the other in a very sober small grid pattern, of course, I should have mentioned that I shall be keeping the old school tie, also!

#262114 - 08/08/2005 13:12 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

Ha ha ha - the day I joined my current firm I had hair about a foot long and wore black leather and jeans by preference, but the partner who gave me my job offer answered my question of "So, do you have a hair length policy?" with "Just do what you think is right for the client, Rory."

So short hair. Luckily most of my clients are smart casual, so no ties, unless I'm chatting with CEOs, FDs etc.

And even then I tend to wear Tigger, Pink Panther, Winnie The Pooh, or Kangaroo ties
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#262115 - 08/08/2005 16:02 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Luckily most of my clients are smart casual, so no ties, unless I'm chatting with CEOs, FDs etc.

I've been thinking about what I'd have to wear from day to day if I got the job. Everyone was very smart in the interview but I wondered what the technical people wear day to day at work. I'd be happy with a polo shirt and trousers, I think wearing a suit every day is a little OTT.

Andy M

#262116 - 08/08/2005 16:30 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
I think wearing a suit every day is a little OTT

For 25 years, I wore a different suit each day of the working week, each suit had 2 pairs of trousers, as you don't always wear the jackets.
Two of my staff once asked me about dressing down, friday, I replied: "What you mean no cufflinks!" I was never asked again: In an ad. agency, you're always have to be presentable.

#262117 - 08/08/2005 16:47 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: boxer]
andym
carpal tunnel

I think if you're customer/public facing then it's important. However, if you're on the end of a phone or running cables then I think it's less important.

Andy M

#262118 - 11/08/2005 12:05 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

Looks like I'll definitely be needing another tie, just been offered a second interview.

Andy M

#262119 - 11/08/2005 12:46 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

Result! Congrats - and best of luck with round two and the blue tie!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#262120 - 11/08/2005 16:23 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Congrats! That's gotta feel good.

#262121 - 16/08/2005 21:32 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: JeffS]
andym
carpal tunnel

New tie and shirt purchased, now onto interview prep. This one's going to be technical. I'm not worried about the broadcast side too much, nor am I worried about pure computing stuff. The bit I think I could fall down on is heavyweight windows admin. I'd like to think there's nothing I can't usually do with windows, but that usually involves sitting in front of a machine and having a poke round first, not sat in a meeting room in a suit.

I there anything you guys could recommend to have a read through before Monday? I'm not saying I want my MCSE in a weekend just something to bring me back up to speed.

TBH, I don't think they'll ask much, if at all about it. I'd just like to prepare myself in case.

Andy M

#262122 - 16/08/2005 21:37 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Just be honest and say you can do it when your at a computer but find it hard to rattle it off at interview. Its what I say and it works!

#262123 - 16/08/2005 21:40 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah, generally I find that you needn't know the exact answer as long as you can show you know where or how to find the answer and that you understand the question in general.

#262124 - 16/08/2005 21:52 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Makes sense, almost like showing your working out on a maths test to get extra points even if the final answer isn't right or missing.
I've never really been to an interview where i haven't had a really good grasp of all the key skills before. Windows network admin isn't listed as a skill in the advert, but thought they might assume the candidates would know it anyway.

Andy M

#262125 - 18/08/2005 12:10 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: andym]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Nice one Andy, best of luck, hope it goes well!

#262126 - 24/08/2005 17:05 Re: I hate job interviews! [Re: sein]
andym
carpal tunnel

Got it!

Andy M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >