Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262436 - 08/08/2005 16:31 Pro PA cable?
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I picked up a 1000ft drum of 8 core 14AWG unshielded speaker cable at a radio rally yesterday. This is fairly high end stuff, and extremely flexible considering it's about a half inch in diameter.

Being a lighting kind of a guy I'm not sure what use 8 core cable would be in PA..? Maybe the cores are multiplied up to get *serious* power handling, or maybe it's used for distribution somehow. Anyone know?

I was going to use it for lighting (mains) purposes but this seems like a waste.

Cheers

Rob

#262437 - 08/08/2005 16:44 Re: Pro PA cable? [Re: rob]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
8 core could be used with an 8 pole speakon to provide a single cable run from a rack of amps which can then be split to feed different cabs in the stack.

I've seen the 4 core stuff used this way. Active crossover feeding a pair of amps for mid/top and bass. This is then sent down the single run (per stereo channel with 4 core) and into a splitter box which would then run to the separate cabs. The 8 core stuff could run the whole lot in stereo in a single run.

Here's a 4 pole splitter:

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/catdetails/2479.pdf

Andy M