Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264627 - 06/09/2005 13:20 Shallow cabling
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I got a new AV receiver recently and I have a problem. It's deeper than my old one and the plugs on the cables I have are too long so that they'd have to poke through the panelling in the back of my entertainment center in order for it to fit. So what should I do?

The first option I see is to buy new cables that have shorter inflexible parts, but that probably means lower-quality cables. I mean, I'm on board with the notion that the big fat cables you see these days are overpriced, but I also think that the little cheap-ass cables are probably lousy. Or am I wrong? Or does someone know of decent cables that have shorter plugs? And then there's the two S-Video cables I need. I don't know of any of them that have much shorter plugs.

Another option is to buy right-angle cables or adapters. But I can't seem to find any for sale locally. And I don't know that anyone makes right-angle S-Video cables or adapters.

Any other ideas? I really need to get them tonight. The wife's already mad that the living room is in a state of disarray.

#264628 - 06/09/2005 13:32 Re: Shallow cabling [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Trim the back paneling of the entertainment center to make it fit? Unless you have a custom-built entertainment center the back panel might just be cheap paneling and this would also increase airflow.

#264629 - 06/09/2005 13:41 Re: Shallow cabling [Re: wfaulk]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Here are right-angle s-video cables. Probably not something available locally though. You should be able to find right-angle RCA cables at a car stereo shop.

#264630 - 06/09/2005 13:47 Re: Shallow cabling [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Trim the back paneling of the entertainment center to make it fit?

I did mention my wife was already freaking out, right?

#264631 - 06/09/2005 23:29 Re: Shallow cabling [Re: cushman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Trim the back paneling of the entertainment center to make it fit? Unless you have a custom-built entertainment center the back panel might just be cheap paneling and this would also increase airflow.

I'll second the motion. Get out the Sawsall.

On the wife front, tell her there are three options, buy a different piece of electronics, buy a different entertainment center, but that the least expensive is to cut a hole in the back, and if the result is bad, then buy a new entertainment center. Remember to get a piece of black gabardine to hang behind the hole. Maybe two pieces, one to tack to the inside.

#264632 - 07/09/2005 01:44 Re: Shallow cabling [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Perhaps not timely enough, but a search on partsexpress.com for "right angle" reveals right-angle RCA adapters among others. Even TOSLink.

The beauty of bachelorhood is being able to use the Sawzall as one sees fit.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#264633 - 07/09/2005 12:05 Re: Shallow cabling [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah. They have right-angle RCA adapters at the RadioShack. $4 a piece, though.