Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#2667 - 30/04/2000 16:59 Studio-mix available (TAN)
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Can't find a simple five-word subject, so:

I'm a fan of techno and trance, and love listening to continuous mixes. Therefore, with the aid of AudioCatalyst (in CD->Wav mode), BeatCounter, Cool Edit Pro, and a few odds and ends (Excel) I have put together the first in what I hope will be a series of mixes done digitally and 'in the studio' rather than life from (CD) turntables.

I am moderately proud of the result. I'm gradually perfecting both the blending of two tracks into one another (by stretching/compressing the time of the 'lower' track without altering the pitch) and the choice of music. The process I use allows me to have extremely long fade times - two to three minutes where you can quite clearly hear both tracks - and synchronise the two tracks perfectly to ensure interesting features occur together. The current "PaulWay Infinity Mix" stands at about 200 minutes of continuous music. I'll be compiling shorter mixes for CD-length and other projects.

If anyone is interested in listening to them, the first two installments (0:00 to 93:40 and 93:40 to 201:45) are 87 and 102 megabytes respectively at 128kbit (with the Fraunhofer encoder). These are ludicrously impractical to email, and I don't have a spare FTP site around, so if you want them please suggest a place to upload them. (This I can do from my 2mbit connection at work, but I have nowhere to store them that's accessible from the outside world :-( ) I'll consider producing CD-Rs containing the two files and a track listing (the two contain about 45 tracks) but I don't want to be producing batch lots of them at my own expense...

(TAN) is standard newsgroup nomenclature for a post tangential to the usual topic of conversation, by the way.

Please reply to [email protected].

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#2668 - 01/05/2000 05:01 Re: Studio-mix available (TAN) [Re: PaulWay]
trevden
new poster

Well, I'm interested.

If noone here with a Linux box can give them a semi-permanent home, I'd be glad to set up an FTP server on my Mac with a good network connection for a week or two.

#2669 - 01/05/2000 05:32 Re: Studio-mix available (TAN) [Re: trevden]
jfranke

Me too! If you find a space let us know where to get it. CHeers, j.

#2670 - 01/05/2000 20:55 Re: Studio-mix available (TAN) [Re: PaulWay]
PaulWay
addict

Just to follow up the progress in the last couple of days.

I'm going to upload the full Infinity Mix so far to one, maybe two, sites. If people want it from there they can email me to get the exact address and details of a download-only account.

This music is still copyrighted and as such it shouldn't actually exist. I'm doing this not as an attempt to shaft the record companies but merely as an experiment and to let people hear new music. This means:
  1. Whatever you do with it, it's not my responsibility (as far as that goes). Don't get my name into things and keep it quiet.
  2. Don't ask for any other MP3 files for trade or whatever. If you must, use Napster, for Ahltman's sake.

Further details as I get organised and get to a reasonably speedy net connection.

#2671 - 03/05/2000 16:11 Re: Studio-mix available (TAN) [Re: PaulWay]
PaulWay
addict

Update 2:

You'll get a URL (much easier).

The track list is:

Track NumberTitleArtist
1TeqtonicBeaumont Hannant
2MindstreamMeat Beat Manifesto
3Break Away (Deep Trance Mix)Quazar
4EastHumate and Rabbit in the Moon
5Shapes of SleepThe Grid
6OriginalSevered Heads
7FanaticalSouth End
8DämmerungFrontside
9DreamsQuench
10Escape from NoiseUltimate Life Experience
11Mind DistortionFrontside
12Sweetness and LightItch-e & Scratch-e
13Two Full Moons and a TroutUnion Jack
14Redemption ambientQuench
15HopeQuench
16The Point of No ReturnItch-e & Scratch-e
17Work My MindHeadman
18The third rebirthJones and Stevenson
19Everyone's FuturePablo Gargano
20Autumn (Personal Generator)Mijk's Majic Marble Box
21GranadaPower Source
22ParaglideParagliders
23Are Am EyeCommander Tom
24MoonwalkPhasis
25The Milky WayAurora Borealis
26Controlling transmissionFinal Fantasy
27Bring Your Mind Back HomeBoo Boo & Mace
28Down In My MindFrontside
29InterferenceItch-e & Scratch-E
30My time is yoursL.S.G.
31Lollipop ManUnion Jack
32TempestSalamander
33Major FrequenciesWitchcraft
34StressMadely
35Red herringUnion Jack
36We Mess With Your HeadJosh Abrahams
37OnyxDJ Dan Efex vs. J Scott G
38For an angel (club mix)Paul Van Dyk
39SchonebergMarmion
40GouryellaGouryella
41TransamazoniaThe Shamen
42GouryellaGouryella
43Texas CowboysThe Grid
44I Feel DivineS-J
45Barber's Adagio for StringsWilliam Orbit
46Aquarius OrbitCosmic Baby
48You KnowThird Eye
49Swamp ThingThe Grid

The mix starts from around 130BPM, climbs steadily to "Bring Your Mind Back Home" at 174BPM, and back down again to 134BPM. Those who like that sort of thing can play "Spot The Australian Dance/Techno Bands".

The mix, in its preliminary two parts, is available now courtesy of Dionysius. I will be emailing people the URLs. As before, if you want a copy, email will be the only way I'll tell you where it is - and I'd like that wish to be respected.

More in the future (as always).