Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267928 - 24/10/2005 20:01 a thread for funny dreams
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
last night I had a strange dream.
I had just bought a used car that had been altered to run on cooking lard. ok, that part is not so far-fetched if you consider that my neighbor runs his jetta tdi on bio fuel (recycled cooking oil).

there was a box about the size of a shoe box in the trunk that you could open and pop a new lard block in as needed.

well I was out tooting around in my new car and sure enough it ran out of fuel. I knew very well that a gas station would be of little help so I found a hardware store (!), but they were fresh out of cooking lard. when I told the guy behind the desk why I wanted it he mentioned that they had some cheese and asked if that would do.

sure I thought, that should work.

well I got a huge brick of cheese and placed it into the the little box in the truck, but the car refused to operate properly.

so I call the help desk of the company that makes and sells the kit and tell them about my situation.

they told me that the car will actually run on cheese, but that cheese cost so much more than plain lard that it just doesn't make any sense.

do I need to prime the system? are there any other trouble shooting hints?

they walked me though a few steps to try to find the problem and then the customer service guy says "wait a sec... what kind of cheese did you use"?

"parmesan"

at that he busts out laughing at me.

"you tried to run a car on parmesan"!?!?!

#267929 - 24/10/2005 20:13 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
tman
carpal tunnel

You like cheese then I take it? Did you eat any before bed?

#267930 - 24/10/2005 20:18 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: tman]
eliceo
enthusiast

I haven't had a food dream in a long time. Thats a good story.

#267931 - 24/10/2005 20:23 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: tman]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
I will admit that I do like cheese, and that I had some just before going to sleep.
I will not admit that I own an auto repair shop and that I should know very well that a car wont run on parmesan.

please post your own dreams so I don't feel so silly.

Edited by lastdan (24/10/2005 20:24)

#267932 - 24/10/2005 21:12 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
visuvius
addict

haHA! Thats a good story, err, dream. I wish I could remember my dreams. I'm one of those poor saps that never remembers any of their dreams which really sucks. Very seldom do I remember what I was dreaming about and when I do, usually it is something ridiculously mundane like me going to the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread or some lame real life subject that is not very dreamlike at all. Sucks.

#267933 - 24/10/2005 21:34 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Must've smelled like raclette!

#267934 - 25/10/2005 00:24 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
That's really funny. Can imagine the sales rep laughing with all the disrespect of "that's a CD Rom tray not a MUG holder!"

My dreams are as not funny as I; typically about being embarassed, forgetting something, screaming from frustration, flying (or floating around underwater, same 6 degrees of freedom), in or around a house with some people, or, rarely, something pleasent and heartwarming. But I remember many, in full color, 4 senses (no smell), and lush monoural audio.

#267935 - 25/10/2005 02:59 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
I will not admit that I own an auto repair shop and that I should know very well that a car wont run on parmesan.

With some customer stories of my own about cars and the idiots who own them, the fact that you own an auto repair shop probably caused said cheese car dream.

Quote:
please post your own dreams so I don't feel so silly.

Good timing with this thread. While not my dream, it's at least as ridiculous as yours.

Halfway through sleep on my first night in Vegas, my companion wakes me with a slightly freaked out look on his face. He then goes on to tell me about the dream he's just has about Mickey Mouse, particularly the incarnation of Mickey Mouse in the Steamboat Willie cartoon from the 20's , kicking his ass. Not just once, but repeatedly hunting him down and beating the crap out of him, sometimes using the ships wheel to aid in the beatings. The dream was in full color, except Mickey and the ships wheel. Especially funny to think of a former boxer with some pretty impressive upper body strength getting his ass kicked by Mickey Mouse.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#267936 - 25/10/2005 09:51 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I only ever have one of three dreams. My favourite is one that starts off completely 2 dimensional, but then segues to 4 dimensions. I even wake up still being able to properly visualise Klein bottles and hypercubes! Very cool feeling.

Another long term one has me trying to fly off a cliff and falling. I wake up just after splattering on the rocks below. Not sure what that one means.

The other one is not really suitable for repeating on a public forum. Well, not this one
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#267937 - 25/10/2005 10:19 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: frog51]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Another long term one has me trying to fly off a cliff and falling. I wake up just after splattering on the rocks below. Not sure what that one means.

That you should invest in a parachute company?

Quote:
The other one is not really suitable for repeating on a public forum. Well, not this one

Considering the first post in this thread was about a cheese powered car I don't think I want to know what this last one is about

#267938 - 25/10/2005 10:31 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Completely OT, but this is wierd. Every time I read this statement:
Quote:
I should know very well that a car wont run on parmesan.

My brain interprets it as "I know very well that a woman won't run on parmesan", so much so that I really thought that's what you said the first time. And yet, it looks NOTHING like that- the word "woman" is nowhere in your statment- all I can figure is that I'm seeing "won't run" and intepreting it as "woman", even though clearly I'm seeing the two words as they really are. Because I've come back to this phrase a couple of times (it was requoted later in the thread) and my brain still tells me that's what it says unless I parse each specific word carefully.

Very, very strange . . .

#267939 - 25/10/2005 12:16 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: lastdan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
last night I had a strange dream.

The other night I dreamt that I was sharing a car with Saddam Hussein and Robert Mugabe. It was a Skoda, and the driver's door didn't shut properly. I was driving.

I'm not entirely sure what that means.

#267940 - 25/10/2005 19:55 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: Roger]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Quote:
the driver's door didn't shut properly.

It probably means 'get out of the car while you've got the chance'
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#267941 - 25/10/2005 21:05 Re: a thread for funny dreams [Re: Roger]
tman
carpal tunnel