Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#268673 - 03/11/2005 00:43 Dish network PVR
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Does anyone have any info about the dish network pvr 625 ?

I have been using Tivo for years and doubt this pvr will live up to it but I am wondering how close it is.

The features I really like on the Tivo are how the seasons passes work and the suggestions.

I want season passes to record the show no matter what time or channel like the Tivo does.

Also does anyone know if the Tivo will control the non pvr dish tuner. Dish says it comes with a UHF remote so it doesn't sound like it has IR.

Matt

#268674 - 03/11/2005 03:43 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
visuvius
addict

I've been using dish network and just switched to their DVR service. Unfortunately they sent the lowest end unit they have which is the 510. It isn't a dual tuner unit nor does it do a Season Pass type thing -- really I can't believe they even still offer it. I'm refusing the package to have it sent back and will pay the upgrade charge to get the next one up which is the 625, I think.

The 625 is dual tuner and has what they call Name Based Recording:

Pick any show and the DVR will find all new episodes and record them regardless of any changes in program length or broadcast schedule!

625 Product Info PDF

Edited by visuvius (03/11/2005 03:44)

#268675 - 03/11/2005 10:14 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: visuvius]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

That's cool it sounds like that part works ok. If you do get the 625 if you could post about it, it would be great.

Matt

#268676 - 03/11/2005 11:03 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I have the 625- I had the old one and they wouldn't let me upgrade to the new one. I complained that I'd been a customer for years, but they said it was "for new customers only". I hate that crap. So I asked to cancel my subscription. The guy was shocked (I don't know why) and asked why I'd want to cancel. At any rate, he transferred me and the cancelation lady upgraded me almost instantly. Now we have the 625 and I love it.

But that doesn't answer the questions.

1. Season passes- it has them and we use them. You can have it record a show any time it comes on, either for a single channcel or on any channel. You can also have it set up to get only new episodes (we have the "new episodes" feature turned off, however, so I can't comment on how well it works). You just have to be careful with something like "Law & Order" because if you have it record all episodes of that you'll fill up your 96 hours (or whatever) in no time!

2. Suggestions- nope- doesn't have them. It only records what you tell it to.

Quote:
Also does anyone know if the Tivo will control the non pvr dish tuner.

You won't need the non-pvr dish tuner, believe it or not. That's the really cool thing about this unit. The single will control two different TVs with seperate signals through the cable in your house. What this means is you can watch a show you recorded from one TV on your other TV. That is an unbelieveably cool feature that I didn't even think would work until I saw it in action. I figured we were getting two units, one with a duel tuner and our old one, right up until the installer yanked out both of our old units.

Quote:
Dish says it comes with a UHF remote so it doesn't sound like it has IR.
They've got to be UHF because the remote for the TV not next to the tuner has to be able to control it from that room- which in our current house is on a different story, opposit end of the house. The only thing you have to worry about is that the remotes are so powerful you might get into a war with your neighbors! This actually happened to us, but we were quickly able to change the frequency of the controls so that was no longer an issue.

Edited by JeffS (03/11/2005 11:04)

#268677 - 03/11/2005 12:51 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You should be able to switch any of the Dish DVRs from UHF to IR mode by selecting an option from the on-screen menus. You may want to google for this. It's been discussed more times than I can count on RemoteCentral.com for instance.

UHF means you're forced to use the Dish remote. It's only useful if your DVR is not in the line of site (in a cabinet or in another room).

Bruno

#268678 - 03/11/2005 13:27 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It's only useful if your DVR is not in the line of site (in a cabinet or in another room).
Which is the case if you're running the two TVs off the one DVR.

#268679 - 03/11/2005 20:51 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: JeffS]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the info very helpful.

I asked about the ir control of a non pvr receiver in case I want to just keep using my tivo with the ir blaster.

I read about the multi room viewing thing and that sounds really like it would work great for me.

Matt

#268680 - 04/11/2005 00:54 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
While there's a Dish PVR thread open... Has anyone used this?
http://www.pocketdish.com/

Looks pretty cool and it's interesting that Dish is allowing you to download stuff off your DVR which is something you have to hack a DirecTiVo to do.

#268681 - 04/11/2005 01:04 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: robricc]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I saw an ad for that on the dish network website but didn't click it. I would rather have it like tivo to go but it is still neat. I can't believe they made their own device instead of using portable media centers.

Matt

#268682 - 04/11/2005 01:07 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I will probably get Dish if for no other reason than they don't make you sign up for a contract. I called direct tv and they say there is no way to get service without a one year contract.

Matt

#268683 - 04/11/2005 01:12 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I'm not really a Dish vs. DirecTV expert, but I think the reason for that is you don't actually own Dish Network equipment. Similar to how you don't own a cable box from your cable company.

I like TiVo and I like owning the stuff in my house, so I choose DirecTV.

#268684 - 04/11/2005 01:17 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: robricc]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I think you are right about not owning the dish equipment I think they rent it to you. I can see getting stuck with a contract if I get the equipment for free but if I buy my own I shouldn't have to.

The Tivo is the only thing making me consider a contract with direct tv.

Matt

#268685 - 04/11/2005 01:24 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think you are right about not owning the dish equipment I think they rent it to you.
This is correct, though it wasn't always this way. They started doing this once they released the first PVR unit.

Quote:
The Tivo is the only thing making me consider a contract with direct tv.
I've never had a Tivo so I don't know the differences, but we LOVE the new DVR. The older model was good, but this one really took it to a new level. The only thing that seems to be missing is the "suggestions", which I'm not to worried about. We have enough TV to watch without adding new shows! Or in short, if there's anything I'm missing, I'd rather keep missing it.

One thing I should note- the way the unit comes configured it is set up to behave like two seperate single-tuner units that can play back each other's shows. It sounds like a neat idea but ends up being pretty annoying. See, in this mode if you try to record two shows at the same time from the same TV it won't let you do it. You have to go to your other TV to record the second show. Fortunatly my wife figured out a way to turn this off so you can just record whatever you want from whatever TV. I'd suggest doing this right off the bat if I were you.

Edited by JeffS (04/11/2005 01:36)

#268686 - 04/11/2005 01:25 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I was in a Tweeter about a month ago and they were selling an 80GB DirecTiVo for $69. It doesn't cost $69 to make that thing, so DirecTV is selling it at a loss.

On the other hand, if I were to sell you a 2nd-hand unit they would still want a contract from you eventhough I would have already satisfied the agreement. Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense in that situation.

#268687 - 04/11/2005 01:27 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: JeffS]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Did they used to require a contract too. That could be why the retail place I went to told me they required one.

Matt

#268688 - 04/11/2005 01:28 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: robricc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
While there's a Dish PVR thread open... Has anyone used this?
No, but I want one. Not enough cash at the moment!

#268689 - 04/11/2005 01:32 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Did they used to require a contract too. That could be why the retail place I went to told me they required one.

When buying a DirecTV receiver at retail, there is a seperate contract required from the service contract. This one is to force you to activate the receiver within XX days or you will be charged 300-something dollars. The contract the retail guy was telling out about could have been something like that.

PS- It seem that contract is never enforced, it's just used to scare you. I've never tested it though.

#268690 - 04/11/2005 01:41 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Did they used to require a contract too.
All I know is that we had one when we first signed up (through a retail store) and that we don't have one now. I also sold our origional tuner at a garage sale and they never asked for it back (which is not to say that maybe I was supposed to and the whole affair just got overlooked). When we transitioned to the new PVR we had to send back the old one with the non PVR unit we were using.

I will say, after being a cusomter for something like 5 years my feeling is that they've changed the way they deal with customers for the better, my only problem being when I had to threaten to cancel in order to get the upgrade.

#268691 - 04/11/2005 01:42 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Now I was reading on another forum the pvr 625 requires a phone line is that true ? I do not have a land line just vonage.

Matt

#268692 - 04/11/2005 02:02 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Now I was reading on another forum the pvr 625 requires a phone line is that true ?
Sort of. I believe that they charge you $5 a month if you don't have the phone line hooked up. I don't remember the exact details, but we'd decided it was low enough to not have a phone line when we moved in here- until we found out we had to have a phone line for broadband. As soon as a cable modem service is available out here we plan on dropping our phone line and paying whatever nominal fee Dish Network requires.

#268693 - 04/11/2005 03:43 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I can't believe they made their own device instead of using portable media centers.

Just wanted to clarify that they didn't. Each of those is made by Archos. I just bought the AV500 and at the moment the thought of just being able to transfer video to my device is very attractive, as I'm not very pleased with the video recording quality.

Anyway, I eventually want to write up a short review of it. It's very cool but with some shortcomings.

#268694 - 04/11/2005 07:35 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: JeffS]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I complained that I'd been a customer for years, but they said it was "for new customers only". I hate that crap.

I dislike it as well, and last time had to write a letter to the CEO and one of the VPs. Was surprised to get a quick response from the VP, but honestly I am going to be irritated to probably have to do similar when I want to upgrade to HD. I'm still waiting on Dish to go to MPEG4 one day.

As far as the owning vs lease thing with Dish, it has always been an option when I have looked. I owned my first Dish receiver in 1998, then the DishPlayer unit as well. And I own the 301 unit now. And every upgrade deal Dish was trying to offer me when Voom imploded also involved buying equipment.

#268695 - 07/11/2005 22:06 Re: Dish network PVR [Re: Dignan]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Quote:
Quote:
I can't believe they made their own device instead of using portable media centers.

Anyway, I eventually want to write up a short review of it. It's very cool but with some shortcomings.

Make sure and post a link to it if you do, as I've been greedily eyeing that PocketDiSH AV500EchoStar thingy.

#268696 - 16/11/2005 23:58 Come read my ridiculous story of tv madness [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Ok here's what happened.

When I moved in I got internet from mediacom for 40 dollars a month and they wanted more for the digital cable than dish or directv charged so I decided to get a satellite.

I was looking at dish because they don't require a contract but the power of tivo was too great so I went with directv and an h10 tivo. Directv said I had seven days then I would be on a contract for two years. I signed up for total choice plus with the dvr for a total of 55 dollars a month.

So with the internet and satellite it was about 100 bucks a month after taxes.

Two days after I get the directv hooked up some guy from mediacom comes to my door with an offer for satellite customers. They would give me digital cable and internet for 55 bucks including all the equipment for 24 months with no contract.

So I since I was within the seven days I dropped directv and got cable from mediacom.

I also got the motorola pvr from mediacom just to try it. Yes it sucks I was planning on trying for a few days but I don't think it will last the night.

• There is no 30 second skip.
  • The guide only shows an hour and a half and four channels without scrolling.
  • The fast forward and rewind take too long to start and stop
  • No suggestions of course
  • The button layout on the remote is awful

Matt