Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270028 - 19/11/2005 03:48 SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. HELP
mstok
new poster

I just purchased a used Rio Receiver (RR), and I am amazed at all the "underground" support for these devices...which is complicated and confusing...I feel I have a simple need and would like one of the more experienced users to show me the light...

I really only want to be able to configure my RR to work in stand-alone mode, with out a computer needing to be connected and powered on...and then, once I have powered on my RR and it is connected to the internet via DSL...I ONLY really want to stream Internet Radio...specifically Shoutcast play lists.

From reading a lot of info out there, it seems like there may be several options for me...but I get lost in the whole server/client thingy...and most things out there seem to be either something that is server side and requires that a computer be powered up when you use the RR...or they seem over packed with features (which is nice, but seems to be over kill for my needs)...

I really want to be able, once configured, to be able to simply power on my RR and stream internet radio...nothing more...

PLEASE HELP! Thanks for your assistance!

#270029 - 19/11/2005 06:46 Re: SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. HELP [Re: mstok]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Your Rio Receiver cannot work without a server computer.

It has no built-in software to play music, it *MUST* get software from a server computer when power is applied to it. And as soon as power is lost, the software is gone and it's got to get that software again the next time power is applied.

There are ways to set up a server computer to stream shoutcast streams down to the receiver, working as an intermediary. But you still need that server computer.

#270030 - 19/11/2005 11:38 Re: SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. [Re: mstok]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I really want to be able, once configured, to be able to simply power on my RR and stream internet radio...nothing more...

While this is in theory possible -- as long as the Receiver is only "switched off" using its own power button and not unplugged or rebooted -- I haven't seen it as a feature of any of the Receiver rewrites I know of.

(Tony is correct that once the Receiver has lost power completely, it needs to be restarted using a computer. But that should hopefully be a rare occurrence.)

Not that it's much use to you now you've bought the Receiver, but Roku Soundbridge has the behaviour you're looking for.

Peter

#270031 - 19/11/2005 20:41 Re: SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

While this is in theory possible -- as long as the Receiver is only "switched off" using its own power button and not unplugged or rebooted -- I haven't seen it as a feature of any of the Receiver rewrites I know of.

If I remember rightly one of the alternative clients that supported MP2/MP3 streaming loaded it's list of streams from a file in the receiver.arf file into memory and so could continue streaming even if the ARM server had been turned off. Unfortunately I can't remember which of the many clients it was

#270032 - 20/11/2005 07:00 Re: SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. [Re: andy]
medianet
new poster

Quote:
Quote:

If I remember rightly one of the alternative clients that supported MP2/MP3 streaming loaded it's list of streams from a file in the receiver.arf file into memory and so could continue streaming even if the ARM server had been turned off. Unfortunately I can't remember which of the many clients it was

I _think_ it was rioplay?

#270033 - 14/07/2006 16:34 Re: SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. [Re: medianet]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
rioplay works fairly well for my slimserver needs... I just have one stream (my slimserver stream) on there.. when it boots up I have to select the stream but otherwise it works fine..

Came back to this board after 2-3 years to see if there was any better solution then rioplay, and it doens't look like there is:)
-mark

#270034 - 26/07/2006 11:32 Re: SIMPLE NEED! All I Want Is 2 Things -> STREAMING and STAND-ALONE. [Re: dionysus]
happyhammer
new poster

same here, its been donkey years since i visited this list.
I use medianet which itself uses trio, works very well for me.