Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#271675 - 08/12/2005 18:00 Cameras for kids? Your recommendations, please!
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Hey all-
I'm looking for a camera as a Christmas present for a 4 year old.
He's nuts for my phone, but that's only good under direct supervision.

I'm looking for a cheap, robust, simple, digital camera.
No memory or resolution stipulations.
Shouldn't be too hard to find one, right?

Just wondering if anyone here has any opinions (good/bad) to share or might point to a good review-resource.
Thanks in advance!
Stew

#271676 - 08/12/2005 18:06 Re: Cameras for kids? Your recommendations, please! [Re: Robotic]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I don't have a specific model recommendation, but I suspect a Kodak would suit the task best. Some of their models are particularly straight forward to operate (because they have limited feature sets) and their camera docks + software make downloading very easy as well.

#271677 - 08/12/2005 19:41 Re: Cameras for kids? Your recommendations, please! [Re: andy]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I think you're in the same ballpark as me, looking for a cheap digital camera for my wife's parents. The only real question is whether you want to go with something much cheaper (e.g., a film camera or even one of those "disposable" digital cameras), under the theory that a four-year old is more likely to abuse and/or destroy a camera than an adult.

#271678 - 09/12/2005 02:13 Re: Cameras for kids? Your recommendations, please! [Re: DWallach]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
A couple of years back, I handed my digital camera to my 5 year old niece at a wedding. I didn't see it again for a couple of hours.

After I tracked it down, I watched her play with it for a while. She was having the greatest time just running up to people and snapping their picture, then gazing at the picture she took on the LCD. I had the thought that someone needed to manufacture a kids camera with absolutely no bells or whistles*. Just a lens, ccd, flash, screen, button, and battery in a tough case. No storage memory needed, because all you need is to display the picture until the next one is taken. Put a big LCD on the back, and a nice huge battery in it, since the LCD and associated light will be on all the time, and you're golden. I've seen a lot of cheap digital cameras, but I'm kind of surprised that nobody has seized upon this concept for the preschool set.

I was glad that my camera had a nice big card in it, though, because when I dumped the card, I found she had actually taken a lot of nice pictures. And, I ended up with a lot of pictures of people that I might not have thought necessary to get to pose otherwise.

-Aaron

*unless kids are into actual literal bells and/or whistles these days.

#271679 - 09/12/2005 06:18 Re: Cameras for kids? Your recommendations, please! [Re: adavidw]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I had the thought that someone needed to manufacture a kids camera with absolutely no bells or whistles [...] No storage memory needed [...]

I was glad that my camera had a nice big card in it, though, because when I dumped the card, I found she had actually taken a lot of nice pictures.

This is why you should always have a memory storage card in the camera -- kids can take some absolutely amazing photographs. I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall seeing a web site where a photographer gave a bunch of disposable cameras out to random kids in 3rd world countries. Some of the photos that came out of the project were better than most of my own. That's the great thing about digital over film -- it's so cheap that you *can* take a chance on storing what might (or might not) be a "crappy" photo.