Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272315 - 15/12/2005 21:12 Nokia 770
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
It rocks!

I thought this device was worth a mention, I've had one for a month or so now and it is really "tidy" and the sort of thing that would appeal to people here (and not just because it runs Linux on an ARM processor). The design is very neat and it feels solid, just a couple of niggles really - one annoying thing is that you have to slide off the cover a tiny bit to expose the stylus holder, this is probably deliberate but on balance I would rather have the stylus fall out every now and then rather than the bother of have to pop the cover up to put the stylus away temporarily.

The amount of software that is available after such a short time is amazing, there is even a VNC port which performs really well. The Maemo Application Catalog is a good guide to what is available.

For keyboards people have got bluetooth keyboards running and it works with a standard USB keyboard if you put 5V on the USB cable (the 770 doesn't supply *any* power to USB). Somebody posted on the ITT forum that connecting a USB mass storage device basically just worked too, and it appeared as a standard device.

And I have got GPSDrive using a basic moving map working with a cheap Rikaline bluetooth GPS receiver. My guess is that should the 770 become very popular then Tom Tom might release a software pack - apparently some of their devices are pretty similar in hardware/software config.

Gareth

#272316 - 16/12/2005 07:10 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: g_attrill]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
How much and where from? It is really nice, I was all set to buy an MPV5000 and having heard such good stuff about 770 I'm beginning to think again.

Andy M

#272317 - 16/12/2005 08:06 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: g_attrill]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
one annoying thing is that you have to slide off the cover a tiny bit to expose the stylus holder, this is probably deliberate but on balance I would rather have the stylus fall out every now and then rather than the bother of have to pop the cover up to put the stylus away temporarily.

Seems the standard fix is to dremel away a bit from the corner of the cover...

#272318 - 16/12/2005 09:03 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: andym]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I paid £235 from Nokia Direct but they have sold out of UK models at the moment and are back-ordered until January. Apparently it is available in some retail stores in the US, Best Buy is one.

One other tip - Orange have a special deal called Extras for pay as you go customers. There is one pack which is listed as unlimited access to Orange World all day for £1, but it is basically just unmetered GPRS all day. Considering the normal charge is £4 per Mb that is an amazing deal.

Gareth

#272319 - 16/12/2005 21:01 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: g_attrill]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
One other tip - Orange have a special deal called Extras for pay as you go customers. There is one pack which is listed as unlimited access to Orange World all day for £1, but it is basically just unmetered GPRS all day. Considering the normal charge is £4 per Mb that is an amazing deal.

I wonder what deals they have for Pay Monthly customers who've been with them for nearly 10 years? A red hot poker up the fscking arse probably.

Andy M

#272320 - 16/12/2005 23:31 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: andym]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:

I wonder what deals they have for Pay Monthly customers who've been with them for nearly 10 years? A red hot poker up the fscking arse probably.

Sounds like the USA cell phone market. They only care about getting new customers.

Matt

#272321 - 17/12/2005 07:25 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Quote:

At least they don't hate you as much as us remaining Orange OVP Virgin customers...

#272322 - 18/12/2005 14:35 Re: Nokia 770 [Re: msaeger]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
They only care about getting new customers.

And they love loosing them, because they get early termination fees. $ell phones.....

I always love the look on the Verizon sales rep's face when I go to the store and inquire about a new plan or phone. "Oh, you're 3 years out of a 1 year agreement and you haven't changed your phone since... when?!?" Sticking it to the man, just like paying my credit card bills on time.

All that changes when I get my Treo 650 in February (since the 700w will be out, hopefully driving the 650 price down). Though the internet tablet does look cool.