Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#273346 - 03/01/2006 05:34 Guitar Wiring Question!
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Greetings from Iraq (ok... I'm really home, but I'm going back on the 5th), I decided during my extended stay I would start playing again. I got my old (really old) BC Rich Warlock platinum edition out of the garage, it was nasty, so I decided to break it down (for shipping and cleaning). Once I began taking apart, I decided the electronics could use an overhaul and this is where it starts. I can't find schematics for this thing anywhere. BC Rich has supposed schematics for this, but nothing matches up. Also every humbucker wiring diagram has 4 wires and a ground... Mine only has 3 and a ground... not to mention the wire colors just don't make sense, mine has red, white, blue and then the ground which doesn't really match any of the wiring guides I've looked at...

Are there any guitar techs that can figure this one out... According to the way it was wired (might have been wired incorrectly from the start, but it worked) I've drawn a really bad diagram, I really don't know where the blue wire goes... can anyone help?

Attachments
273374-bcrichschematicsmall.JPG (3290 downloads)

#273347 - 03/01/2006 05:51 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm trying to find some dual-humbucker schematics, but none of them quite seem to match what you've got. What is the 2-way switch? You seem unsure that it even is a switch. Have you never used it?

Here's some links I could find that seem relevant:

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T1101 (seems to be wired as a single-coil)
http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pix/sd_hum.gif (has volume and tone for each pickup)

Oh, wait. Here you go. Seymour-Duncan's schematic for what you have. There's also one that includes a separate switch. Here's a link to all of their schematics.

Edited by wfaulk (03/01/2006 05:56)

#273348 - 03/01/2006 05:59 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Can you see who manufactured the pickups? That might help.

Oh, I see BC Rich started making their own pickups at some point. Before that they seem to have been DiMarzios. I assume you found BC Rich's schematics page.

Edited by wfaulk (03/01/2006 06:07)

#273349 - 03/01/2006 06:17 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Been there, the pickups literally have no identifying marks on them at all.

I know it's a switch, I know it has two positions, but I'm unsure of it's purpose (not sure I ever did, I traded a Rockford Fosgate amp for the guitar about 10 years ago), it either switches from pickup 1 to pickup 2, or turns one of the pickups off... then again I could be totally wrong about that. I think that blue wire has been disconnected since I've had the thing... It pretty much sat in a corner as I have my main guitar that I won't be taking to Iraq with me

#273350 - 03/01/2006 06:19 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: lopan]
lopan
old hand

yeah found the BC Rich schematics page, looked over everything at guitarelectronics.zoovy.com, guitarnuts.com, went through everything in Fenders schematic section (just trying to figure out how it all works), went through about 20 other sites as well to no avail. I'm stumped on this one...

#273351 - 03/01/2006 06:31 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: lopan]
lopan
old hand

Man I need to read the whole post before replying... It's really late... sorry...

I did look at those schematics, I'm a little thrown by the colors and the wiring. If green and bare are soldered to ground, and red and white soldered together (on the seymour duncan schematic), what would my red, white and blue equate to?

You'll notice in that schematic, they have a black, green, red, white and bare ground, 4 wires... I only have 3

#273352 - 03/01/2006 06:34 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, here you go: Golden Age Guitar Pickups

The three-conductor one is basically the same as the four-conductor ones with the two conductors wired together already wired together. As such, you should be able to leave that extra wire dangling. What that means is that the 2-way switch converts the one pickup between a humbucker and single-coil modes.

What I'm getting at is that it's wired correctly now.

Edited by wfaulk (03/01/2006 06:35)

#273353 - 03/01/2006 07:17 Re: Guitar Wiring Question! [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Excellent, thanks very much!