Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#273794 - 08/01/2006 01:41 Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, on the box it claims there are "OVER" 8 hours of original bonus content. I just purchased this set last week and watched the entire bonus CD tonight (disc 7). I didn't pay very close attention to how long it lasted, but it must not have been any longer than about 3 hours.

So where are the other 5 hours of content? They can't possibly be counting commentaries tied to specific episodes on the other discs can they?

#273795 - 08/01/2006 01:43 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: hybrid8]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
My guess is that the commentaries are counted, it is "content" in a sense and if they can get away with doing it then they will.

I've got a few commentaries on 24 that I still need to listen to, although I do generally find them hard to follow because I have seen the episode before, am watching it out of sequence and am trying to follow the episode *and* listen to the commentary at the same time. And then the commentary waffles on about something extremely dull when you would have liked them to talk about a scene the episode has moved onto.

Gareth

#273796 - 08/01/2006 07:07 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: g_attrill]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I've got a few commentaries on 24 that I still need to listen to

"need to"?

While I've not checked out the commentary on 24, I find the bonus features/commentary on most special-edition DVDs to be a mutual stroking session. Every director is the best that actor's ever worked with and vice versa. Even the making of/special effects sections often don't actually have any real content in them.

So I don't bother.

#273797 - 08/01/2006 12:39 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: Roger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know what you mean. However this wasn't the case when I listened to the commentary on Sum of All Fears. Tom Clancy was commentating with the director, and several times Clancy talked about how the movie could have been much better and how the plot didn't stick to the plot in the book at all, and this lead to a couple of seemingly awkward moments in the commentary.

I agree with Clancy though -- his books are always great, but that movie sucked. It sucked almost as much as The Hunt for Red October. Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger are the only good Clancy movies.

#273798 - 09/01/2006 14:18 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
While that's often true, there are some technical directors out there that like to tell you how they set up shots and whatnot. And then there are people goofing off and having fun. Both of those are interesting. I have no idea about 24, though.

#273799 - 09/01/2006 14:46 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: Roger]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
The commentary disc of 24 Hour Party People is worth watching: it's basically just Hooky, Rowetta, and a bunch of the others in a bar with the film on in the background swapping stories. It's just what I imagine going out for a few pints with Hooky would be like. The writer/director commentaries on The Lord Of The Rings are worth listening to, too.

Peter

#273800 - 09/01/2006 15:32 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I enjoy listening to the occasional commentary track, but not too often. I mostly get bored unless I'm really into the movie. With Donnie Darko, the first time I saw the movie was on DVD, and the second I was done watching it I watched both commentary tracks. I was so interested in the movie I wanted all the information I could get. It was great because the director offered a lot of insight into the movie and the story. Some of the plot elements were things that you wouldn't get from just the movie, too.

My favorite commentary is actually Roger Ebert's for Dark City. He loved the film, and presented it at a seminar in which he and film students went through the film shot-by-shot (I wish that was included on the DVD). This meant that he'd studied the film a great deal, and was able record a great commentary track.

It just happens that I've named two of my favorite movies, which echoes my previous statement that if I'm really into the film, I'll watch the commentary.

By the way, which DVD was it that made the commentary track MST3K-style?

#273801 - 09/01/2006 15:45 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Ghostbusters. As I remember, it's not as fun as you might think, but it's not a terribly dull one, either.

#273802 - 09/01/2006 21:34 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Ghostbusters. As I remember, it's not as fun as you might think, but it's not a terribly dull one, either.

The version I've got has also got their silhouettes on the screen too, which is quite unique (for me anyway).

I quite like the commentaries, usually once I've watched a film the first time on DVD the next time I'll usually watch it with the commentary on.

Andy M

#273803 - 10/01/2006 03:13 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: andym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wait, so you're saying you get to see the Ghostbusters guys MSTing their own movie?

I GOTTA get this.

#273804 - 10/01/2006 18:38 Re: Lost Season 1 DVDs - where are the 8 hours? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No, it's just got the silhouettes of the commentators at the bottom of the screen. Otherwise it's just a normal commentary.