Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27418 - 27/02/2001 18:57 sony cd/tuner in empeg aux
amold
journeyman

So i buy this sony xplod m610 CD-player-tuner unit and have it hooked up to the empeg's AUX. The problem is that switching from one to the other is cumbersome. I have to go into the empeg controls and change source to aux. Isn't there a way the empeg can sense when the aux is on and turn itself off ?
I could use remotes, but I hate remotes in the car.

#27419 - 27/02/2001 19:22 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: amold]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Isn't there a way the empeg can sense when the aux is on and turn itself off ?

First of all, I've never heard of a head unit that automatically sensed when the Aux input went active. If the Empeg had this ability, it would be rather unique, I'd think.

If the Sony unit has an Aux input of its own, you could wire them the other way around. Then whatever button Sony uses for that purpose would be the one you pressed. Probably simpler than digging through the menus.

Another way of handling it would be to wire BOTH units directly to the amplifier via an A/B switch of some kind. A DPDT switch would do it (assuming you didn't care about fader control). It might even be possible to use a relay instead of a switch, and have the relay fire only when there's power flowing to the Sony unit. Not quite sure how to handle the amp turn-on lead in that situation, though.

#27420 - 27/02/2001 22:00 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: tfabris]
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
In reply to:

Another way of handling it would be to wire BOTH units directly to the amplifier via an A/B switch of some kind

EEEK!!
Unless you ran RCA to split leads, then the switch. then lead to RCA connectors, ouch!, that would probably bring in a lot of noice, switches are not exacly the most shielded of units. Plus, I am pretty sure any solder or whatever used to fashion this together would introduce all sorts of clipping an frequency loss (I could be wrong, but I guess if it is ok for digital signals, then analogue couldnt hurt - too much, I dont want to get into an argument about waveform clipping and distortion, so yes, digital signals are easier to "reconstruct")
But back to switches, well, you could try it out on the bench, before you put blood, sweat and tears into the auto, and see if it's possible.
But for amp remote switching, you would have to introduce another switch (imagine an inverted Y, head units onm the bottom, amp at top, switch in middle), and while +12VDC isnt anything to scream about, I am sure them amp would function fairly well with that switch in the middle.
But ask a shop, or tanstaafl might help, if he reads this. He might have some insight into this.

Best bet would be to wire the Empeg into the aux of the other head unit (unless that aux isnt taken up by some changer unit)

Or get two amps...
With 4 more speakers...
And another two subs...
And see which system wins!!!
(Obviously I am kidding here, but for that install, well, lets just say you would need a big alternator, and a large SUV to ferry that all around in)
IASCA would have a field day with that install

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#27421 - 28/02/2001 17:46 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: Smoker_Man]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Tony said: If the Sony unit has an Aux input of its own, you could wire them the other way around

I gave that just a moment's thought, but decided I didn't want to give up my 20-band parametric equalizer when I played CDs, which admittedly isn't often. Consider also that the 99.44% of the time that you play the music from the empeg, you will be running the empeg's signal through the additional (and unnecessary) signal processing of the Sony deck before it gets to the amplifiers/speakers, and the Sony will have to be powered up for the empeg to work.

On the other hand... if the Sony feeds the empeg Aux In, then when the empeg is out of the car, you have no music.

Tony said: Another way of handling it would be to wire BOTH units directly to the amplifier via an A/B switch of some kind.

I thought about doing just that, until I talked to my installer who is very knowledgeable about car audio. He talked me out of it very quickly, with the same arguments that Smoker_Man stated -- there would almost certainly be a lot of noise introduced into the system.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#27422 - 28/02/2001 18:26 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

(Regarding an A/B connection to the amplifiers) He talked me out of it very quickly, with the same arguments that Smoker_Man stated -- there would almost certainly be a lot of noise introduced into the system.

Not if the switch is done right. I've wired guitar pedalboards in this fashion, routing signals every which-way. If it's done right, it can be done noiselessly. Admittedly, car audio is a different animal, but...

Didn't someone, a long time ago, post something to this BBS about an off-the-shelf box which did precisely this? And if memory serves, it was even a Sony product and it did the job automatically (although I don't remember whether it used signal from the audio or the remote turn-on lead to do the switching). They even posted a picture of it.

#27423 - 28/02/2001 18:39 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: tfabris]
Smoker_Man

Didn't someone, a long time ago, post something to this BBS about an off-the-shelf box which did precisely this? And if memory serves, it was even a Sony product and it did the job automatically (although I don't remember whether it used signal from the audio or the remote turn-on lead to do the switching). They even posted a picture of it.

Well, I am sure such a beast exists, but it would (obviously) be a digital device, with the switched being controlled in a fashion that the contacts would make no contact bounce, and be isolated from the unit themselves.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing something like this, and it even divided up the amp remote lines, per head unit.
Kinda like a KVM switch.
Well, KVM are great but none I know go above 1600x1200 with any sort of decent frequency (>75Hz)
So if the limitations migrate across to an audio device (let's pretend), then you would obvioulsy get frequency clipping on certain frequencies, but of which are probably not detectable to the human ear. (License plate rattle and window shattering are gonna happen regardless of frequency, its a matter of volume).

So perhaps such a device exists, but if it is made for precisly multiple head units in a single output environment, then cost would be rather high, as you get what you pay for.
All who use KVM's know that Cybex is the bee's knees for racks and servers and Belkin is good for cheapo desktops.

So, in conclusion:
sure, it probably does exist (nearly everything is nowadays, except for my hover-board....), perhaps Crutchfield might have some info?

My thoughts...

Smoker_Man

#27424 - 28/02/2001 19:39 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: tfabris]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Yeah, I have one installed and will be at the meet on Saturday.
It is the Sony XA-39MK2.

As a matter of fact, I bought a second one for my boat, but have decided to run the empeg alone.
That being said, it is for sale.

Works like a charm!

Mk2 #105 12g blue
Car install complete...........Boat forthcoming
Mk2 #105 60g

#27425 - 28/02/2001 23:55 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: MRHJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I have one installed and will be at the meet on Saturday. It is the Sony XA-39MK2.

Bingo. Thanks for that information.

Here's the entry at Crutchfield, it sells for fifty bucks US.

They say: "The Sony XA-39II switching relay allows you to run two separate four-channel sources (an in-dash cassette and in-dash CD player, for instance) into your amplifier system. The unit features front and rear inputs for two separate head units (or any source with up to four RCA outputs), and front and rear outputs which can be connected to a 4-channel amplifier (or two 2-channel amps)."

Considering all that it does (properly handles four independent signals and amp remote turn-ons from two separate units), it seems like a bargain for fify bucks.

Dominic also describes a similar DIY device in this post and includes a schematic.

Any questions?

#27426 - 01/03/2001 03:38 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: tanstaafl.]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
if the Sony feeds the empeg Aux In, then when the empeg is out of the car, you have no music

Not sure I'd agree with you there; with a bit of circuitry, you can sort this out. Domenic recommended something like this a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago somewhere on this board.

This is exactly my situation in the Laguna we own; a Philips head unit with no Line In, but a stereo Line Out. My original (mistaken) intent was to feed the empeg through the Philips, so we could retain CD capability and get away with not having to buy an external amp. No way, Jose - instead, I needed to feed the empeg with the Philips. I did this by the use of a 4 pole, two-way relay with gold contacts (and BIG springs!), so that when the empeg is inserted, the audio source becomes the empeg by energising the relay with the remote antenna output. Empeg out, the amp is fed with line-level transformers from the normal high-level outputs of the Philips. Takes a bit of fiddling to set it up initially, but it works OK.

As regards noise... what noise?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#27427 - 01/03/2001 12:34 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: schofiel]
Smoker_Man

My words are eaten...

Tony, get a good look at that Sony unit on saturday, I cant make it (far too long a drive, plus I cant take any time off work).

Have fun this weekend boys!!(And girls)
And be sure to share lots of pictures for those who couldnt make it!

Smoker_Man

#27428 - 02/03/2001 06:49 Re: sony cd/tuner in empeg aux [Re: schofiel]
tychl
new poster

I've done the almost the same thing with a radio shack project box and a cheap radio shack DPDT pc board relay.
I'm running the empeg audio into my stock head unit through the cd changer input. I routed the cd changer adapter cable into the project box and setup the circuits so when the empeg antenna wire is energized the cd changer output is switched to the empeg aux input and the empeg output is switched to the head unit cd changer input. When the empeg is off or removed, the relay switches the changer back to the head unit. I've had no problems with noise or any detectable loss of sound quality.