Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#274480 - 16/01/2006 15:16 Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Ok, I've installed Kubuntu (Mlord's constant praising helped with that decision!) and now want to try running JEmplode. I've downloaded the lastest Jemplode.jar (70) but when I click on the file I brings up the ARK extraction program. I've looked at the Synapic Package Manager and think I have Java installed. Do I need to download it directly from java.com? If so how do I install a RPM on Kubuntu? Thanks!
The ubuntu forums seem to be down...

P.S. I've got other Linux related questions if anyones to help!

#274481 - 16/01/2006 15:22 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
apt-get install j2re1.4

Or point-and-click on the same package inside synaptic.

#274482 - 16/01/2006 15:24 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
petteri
addict

Thanks for the quick reply! Here is the result of that...

Quote:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package j2re1.4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package j2re1.4 has no installation candidate

#274483 - 16/01/2006 15:24 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Once you have java installed (previous message), run jemplode as follows:

java -Xmx192M -jar /path/to/jemplode.jar

Or just stick that line into a shell script (once you get it working), so you don't have to type it again:

#!/bin/sh
exec java -Xmx192M -jar /path/to/jemplode.jar "$@"

#274484 - 16/01/2006 15:27 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

try clicking "reload" in synaptic first (or apt-get update from a shell prompt).

#274485 - 16/01/2006 15:30 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
petteri
addict

Ok, I just tried running jemplode.jar as suggested, seeing that a Java package is installed under Synaptic. I'm now seeing the "Jemplode splash screen" a fetus? But is is stuck at that. Do I need the Empeg connected to go any further? It's in the car at the moment (secure garage). Thanks again!

EDIT: Here is the text from the command shell:

Quote:
Warning: -Xmx192M not understood. Ignoring.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jempeg.empeg.manager.EmplodeUI.EmplodeUI(org.jempeg.ApplicationContext ) (Unknown Source)
at org.jempeg.empeg.manager.Main.start() (Unknown Source)
at org.jempeg.empeg.manager.Main.main(java.lang.String[]) (Unknown Source)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.call_main() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)

Edited by petteri (16/01/2006 15:33)

#274486 - 16/01/2006 15:31 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Oh.. just a thought.. j2re is in the optional multiverse section of the package repositories.. which is not turned on by default.

Easiest fix is to go into Synaptic --> Settings --> Repositories --> Settings, and click on "Show disabled software sources", and then find and enable the multiverse "Binary" source on the Repositories screen.

Then do the "Reload" and then the install of j2re1.4.

#274487 - 16/01/2006 15:33 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Ok, I just tried running jemplode.jar as suggested, seeing that a Java package is installed under Synaptic. I'm now seeing the "Jemplode splash screen" a fetus? But is is stuck at that. Do I need the Empeg connected to go any further? It's in the car at the moment (secure garage). Thanks again!

The current version splash is something about a Reunion Tour, so you should probably get the latest first. Then, if it's working, you should see a "Looking for Devices" pop-up, whether or not your player is online. IF that fails, well.. Jemplode seems fussy about which java interpreter is used..

-ml

#274488 - 16/01/2006 15:35 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
petteri
addict

I already have that option set. A search of Synaptic shows no j2re at all. I'm running Hoary if that matters.

#274489 - 16/01/2006 15:36 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
petteri
addict

Quote:
The current version splash is something about a Reunion Tour, so you should probably get the latest first. Then, if it's working, you should see a "Looking for Devices" pop-up, whether or not your player is online. IF that fails, well.. Jemplode seems fussy about which java interpreter is used..
-ml

Yep, that's the one I'm getting, but it just hangs there.

#274490 - 16/01/2006 18:24 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I already have that option set. A search of Synaptic shows no j2re at all. I'm running Hoary if that matters.

Ahhh.. Okay, and I'm running Breezy. And yup, after looking at the Hoary packages, it appears that they don't have j2re available for hoary -- and the breezy one won't install on Hoary (needs dependencies).

So, you can either:

(1) upgrade to Breezy, which is a good idea in general --> just change your /etc/apt/sources.list file (replace all occurances of "hoary" with "breezy") and do apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade (and wait..).

Or (2) go and grab j2re directly from Sun and install it manually.

Cheers

#274491 - 12/12/2006 01:46 Re: Help installing Java (+Jemplode) for a Linux newbie [Re: mlord]
TheRhino

Loc: Aurora, CO
Just an FYI - It seems jEmplode does not run with Beryl turned on. It did not for me, anyway, as I figured that out the hard way (staring at a blank java screen going "Why doesn't it come up? It detects the player!"). As soon as I turned off Beryl, everything worked fine.

BTW, Ubuntu rocks!