Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#274528 - 17/01/2006 22:48 iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I got my hands on iLife 06 the other day, and decided to try out iMovie 6 with a short film of my lap around the Monaco F1 track. The first cut is here (19Mb QT mp4 file).

I have tried out a few of the new theme features, but as you will see there are some problems with the rendered output, the on the fly preview is fine, but on the timeline and in out put it's not very good. I have tried different pictures, restarts etc... and the problem is still there, it does move around, ie breakups are not always in the same place.

Overall I found it quite easy, but I much prefer Adobe's file management style. I would love to try out Final Cut Express but I'm dammed if I'm shelling out £200 !!!

So, what do you think? Lots of work to do, it's far from perfect, not not a bad first effort.

Another thing I am not happy with is the music, does anyone know what the new F1 music is ???

Cheers

Cris.

#274529 - 18/01/2006 05:09 Re: iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track [Re: Cris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

As far as the odd effects on exporting, maybe this is a sign of bad memory (along with the issues you had with the machine not booting a bit ago). Have you booted to the first DVD and ran the diagnostics? To do so, reboot holding the Option(alt) key until a boot menu appears, then pick the hardware test option off the DVD.

Beyond the rendering issues, it looks good.

#274530 - 18/01/2006 07:15 Re: iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track [Re: Cris]
tman
carpal tunnel

I've got iLife 06 but not tried the newer version of iMovie yet but iMovie 05 had odd bugs. Have you been fiddling with the transition times? If I did that then it was as you said, the preview looked great but when you rendered it bits would be cut oddly or put in the wrong order. The only way I found to fix it was to start a new project and reimport all the clips.

#274531 - 18/01/2006 08:08 Re: iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track [Re: drakino]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Have you booted to the first DVD and ran the diagnostics?

I did that when I was having problems last time, and I have just done it again now, no problems are found

So I assume it's some problem with the themed video files, it does happen on them all (that I have tried), it doen't happen on the clips I have imported.

Very strange, but I assume Apple will sort it in the next update if it is that at fault.

One other thing, do you think increasing the memory to 1Gb will make a big difference? When I did this to my Windows editing box it didn't really improve things, but the mini is very slow when running the new iLife apps.

Cheers

Cris.

#274532 - 18/01/2006 08:40 Re: iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track [Re: Cris]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Cool.

Is there anything like iMovie available for PC users? I've used an old version of Edit Studio in the past but wondered if there is anything cheaper, more funky and easier to use?

#274533 - 18/01/2006 09:49 Re: iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track [Re: furtive]
Cris
pooh-bah

My Dad uses Pinnacle Studio to great effect, it works really well for him. The only thing missing are the themes (the bits at the beginning and end of my movie) but I guess these sorts of feature are kind of unique to apple.

Cheers

Cris.

#274534 - 19/01/2006 09:38 Re: iMovie 6 Try Out - My Lap Around Monaco F1 Track [Re: furtive]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
There's always Windows Movie Maker, included with XP. (Tried it once. Can't remember but it seemed easy enough).