Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#278956 - 03/04/2006 18:43 Getting paint off paint
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
So some dumb high school kids were playing with paint in the middle of the road this past fall. Since then, even though it's dry people get it sort of sprayed up the side of their cars. I'd like to try to get it off there myself, if possible. I'm able to get it off by scraping a bit with my fingernail, but that's not really a feasible solution for all the paint that's on there.

Any ideas? Products? Cleaners?

#278957 - 03/04/2006 19:17 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: Dignan]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
You need to know the chemical composition of the paint. It sounds to me as if it might be a tar- or oil-based paint. Depending on the age of your car, you may be able to use either cellulose thinners or an acryl-based solvent. However, I would recommend you take the car (complete with paint splats) down to a spray shop and ask for advice.

You can easily passivate the paint on the road with solvents too - how does it react to turpentine? If it dissolves, then - problem solved. If it "curdles", then you have to change solvent. Alternatively, your city council might be able to help - it should be part of the responsibilities of the Road Services and Maintenance department.

However, the best solution is to kill the kids with a large axe to the head. Most State courts accept paint splatters to car paintwork insanity as a legitimate defence these days, but check with your attorney first to be sure before launching your decapitation foray.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#278958 - 03/04/2006 19:54 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: schofiel]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
However, the best solution is to kill the kids with a large axe to the head. Most State courts accept paint splatters to car paintwork insanity as a legitimate defence these days, but check with your attorney first to be sure before launching your decapitation foray.

Agreed. I really have to tell the story.

I live in a neighborhood directly next to the high school I went to. Every year for the homecoming football game there's a "color week" leading up to the game, and on one day each class wears its color. Most do it with clothing, funny hats, face paint, etc. Well apparently two geniuses thought it would be a good idea to drive to the very back of my neighborhood, where I live, stop in the middle of the street, and douse themselves with paint. Seriously. We're talking paint you get at the local hardware store in cans. They opened them up and dumped them on themselves. Then a woman came out of the house they were parked in front of and they got in their car and drove away.

I take solace in two things:

1) they were probably blue for a long time.

2) my high school is known for being a bit...well...afluent. I really hope these kids were driving daddy's BMW, which presumably needed new - everything I guess.

I would have called the school to complain if I had known this would happen to the car. I'm sure it would have been easy to pick the kids out in a classroom for the next couple weeks [and I would have had to specify - it's the blue kids, not the green kids who did the same exact thing in another part of my neighborhood]

#278959 - 03/04/2006 20:19 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Try paint thinner and a push broom.

#278960 - 03/04/2006 20:57 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
This is house paint that has transferred to your car?

Use polishing compound, lightly. Buff and wax. Use the least aggressive.

#278961 - 03/04/2006 22:23 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
You should clarify if you are trying to get the paint off the car or the street.

Matt

#278962 - 04/04/2006 01:10 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: msaeger]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
I agree.

#278963 - 04/04/2006 02:18 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I say you should call your city hall and ask for the public works department. They have the responsibility of cleaning this up. Be sure to throw in that is damaging private property to try and hasten the removal. Attempting to clean it yourself possibly opens you up to liability should the solvent itself damage the paint on any cars.

Edited by lectric (04/04/2006 02:18)

#278964 - 05/04/2006 14:13 Re: Getting paint off paint [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear. I'm trying to get it off the car. It would be nice to get it off the street, but at the moment I'm more concerned about the car.