Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#279118 - 05/04/2006 02:20 Install upgrade - advice needed on setup
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Ok, I've gone from not caring too much about the sound in my car (wired FM modulator) and caring more about the volume of music and Empeg geekiness to wanting a good sounding system in my car. Too bad I didn't do this at the beginning when the car was brand new. Here's what I have waiting to be installed:

Nakamichi CD400 head unit (aux in and sub volume control)
Nakamichi PA-1004 4-channel amp (for the door speakers)
Nakamichi PA-1002 2-channel amp (for the sub)
MB Quart DKE 116 2-way coaxials (four 6.5" door speakers)
JL Audio 10w1v2 10" subwoofer

I plan on running the Empeg into the aux in of the CD400, then normal stereo install from there. I have an audiophile friend that makes all his own cables, so we'll be custom making the RCAs and getting good quality speaker wire and power/ground wire. I'll be ripping out my seats and re-wiring the speakers and running everything myself.

I have an issue with how to mount the amplifiers. I have a wagon, so I need to mount them in the back somehow. I don't want to mount them against the seats because I would like to retain the usefulness of putting down the rear seats and having the extra cargo space (without bumping into the amps). The most ideal place that I can think of is fabricating a custom box against the wheelwell of the car and mouting the sub and the amps to this box. The box would run down the entire left side of the rear compartment, and I could mount the sub at the back and the amps towards the front on their side. I would sink the amps down into the box a bit so the heat sinks are flush with the outside of the box (so all the connectors are protected from cargo moving around).

My problem is that the Nakamichi manual that came with the amps does not suggest mounting the amps with the heat sinks running (edit: parallel) to the floor. From an engineering standpoint I understand this, the heat coming off the lower fins will just rise to the upper fins and may cause a problem. Would this really be an issue, though? I am not playing my stereo at anywhere near the max limit on these amps. Has anyone had a Nakamichi amp and was heat ever a problem? Here's a 3d expert rendering of my planned enclosure:

Comments?

Attachments
279354-untitled.gif (191 downloads)

Edited by cushman (05/04/2006 12:17)

#279119 - 05/04/2006 13:58 Re: Install upgrade - advice needed on setup [Re: cushman]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I'm guessing that this

is not an option?

tanstaafl.

Attachments
279393-nakamichi.JPG (224 downloads)

Edited by tanstaafl. (05/04/2006 14:00)

#279120 - 05/04/2006 13:58 Re: Install upgrade - advice needed on setup [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think it has more to do with airflow. Since you're creating a temperature differential, the air will want to move up, and if there is another fin in that direction, it will be harder for it to move.

Some people claim that you actually get more heat output when you're running an amp well below specs. I don't know if that's true, and I certainly don't know if that's universally true. (Sounds like something that could happen with some cheap engineering to me.) I don't have the same brand of amp you're looking at, but mine is also installed with the heatsink fins running horizontally, and I've had no problem at all. It just doesn't even begin to run hot enough for it to be any concern.

#279121 - 05/04/2006 14:07 Re: Install upgrade - advice needed on setup [Re: tanstaafl.]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
I'm guessing that this is not an option?

I thought about that and it would be ideal, but the 4 channel amp length is 17 inches. RCAs are on one side and the power/speaker connections are on the other, so I would have to add 3-4 inches for each side of the enclosure to allow for the cabling. This would make the enclosure higher than my window above the side of my rear cargo compartment which I am trying to avoid.

#279122 - 05/04/2006 14:19 Re: Install upgrade - advice needed on setup [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
I think it has more to do with airflow. Since you're creating a temperature differential, the air will want to move up, and if there is another fin in that direction, it will be harder for it to move.

I'm thinking worst case I can mount some fans to blow horizontally across the fins to dissapate the heat.

Quote:
Some people claim that you actually get more heat output when you're running an amp well below specs. I don't know if that's true, and I certainly don't know if that's universally true. (Sounds like something that could happen with some cheap engineering to me.) I don't have the same brand of amp you're looking at, but mine is also installed with the heatsink fins running horizontally, and I've had no problem at all. It just doesn't even begin to run hot enough for it to be any concern.

I know that the amps are supposed to be well-built, I just don't know how much heat they will put out. What brand amps do you have? If 5 more people tell me they have their amps mounted in a similar way, I'll start to feel better! The amps will be open to the passenger area and not in an enclosed trunk, so I imagine they will get some decent airflow around them just sitting there.

I figure that the more resistance that is in the system the more heat will be built up, so I am going overkill on my speaker wire and power/signal cables to the amp. Is this off-base? Just trying to head off any heat or sound related problems before they become an issue. The Nakamichi stuff seems pretty high-quality (from what I've read) and is supposed to sound very good. I bought it because of the SQ but also because it's very understated and the head unit will be less of a target for theft since it looks stock.

Attachments
279399-amp_head_unit.jpg (200 downloads)

#279123 - 05/04/2006 14:24 Re: Install upgrade - advice needed on setup [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Honestly, I just have one (relatively) small Alpine amp. But I've felt it after it's been on and running for hours, and I can't imagine that another five of them would bring the temperature beyond what it's probably like in the trunk in the summer anyway.