Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2776 - 16/05/2000 14:27 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3 [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If it is classified as high end audio equipment, then it will be a leader in the category.

You hit the nail right on the head, Calvin.

I strongly suspect that the GREAT majority of purchasers of the empeg Mark II are NOT looking for a computer for their car that happens to play music.... but want a superior music player for their car that happens to be a computer.

I am somewhat of a computer geek (as are, I bet, most of the 614 people registered on this bbs) but I don't care one way or the other that the empeg Mark II is a computer. I just want the best music player on the market, and if that turned out to be hamsters in a cage turning Edison wax cylinders instead of an ARM processor running multi-gigabyte hard drives, then I'd start stocking up on hamster food.

When empeg goes mass market, you are going to see a big change in the user demographic. It will shift toward people who want an 800 CD in-dash changer, and the people who want to expand the capabilities of the empeg beyond music will fill into a small (but talented, vocal, and intriguing) minority.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#2777 - 16/05/2000 14:42 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3 [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
and if that turned out to be hamsters in a cage turning Edison wax cylinders instead of an ARM processor running multi-gigabyte hard drives, then I'd start stocking up on hamster food.

(ROFL)

No, no, no, you're on the wrong BBS. You want the Guinea Pig Car BBS, not the Empeg Car BBS.

Tony Fabris (http://www.jps.net/tfabris)
Empeg #144

#2778 - 21/05/2000 12:50 Post deleted by PaulH [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

#2779 - 21/05/2000 12:59 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Sheesh!

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#2780 - 21/05/2000 13:08 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Ahhh... the enlightened have finally joined us, then. Pay attention at the back!

I'd really love to know what you would define as a computer, then - Linux, connectivity and hard disks not good enough for you? Or would you prefer that it has elastic bands and a whirly propellor as well?

Does your Wonderful Aiwa and Kenwood MP3 allow you to connect to the internet then? Yes? I'd better go down to the shops right now, buy at least three, throw out all these expensive workstations I have here (who needs Solaris when you have an Aiwa MP3?) and just use the Kenwood instead. And I can't believe it - I must be the only person on the planet without a CD-R drive. How embarrasssing! How will I hold my head up in front of the neighbours each morning!!!!!

Slap forehead Naughty brain! Naughty brain! punctuated by repeated slaps to head DON'T BUY EMPEG YOUR IDJIT DON'T BUY EMPEG YOUR IDJIT brain oozes out of side of head due to repeated percussive impact.

There, that taught you, didn't it?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#2781 - 21/05/2000 13:09 No flame war please
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I'd like to suggest that people don't get into a flamewar here. The post is obvious flamebait from someone who knows very little about the car player, and doesn't even have the guts to login to the BBS. Maybe it's the same guy who's being a dick on the mp3.com hardware discussion at the moment, who knows.

Save all the great advice for people who are actually open to other viewpoints.

Rob

#2782 - 21/05/2000 13:59 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Hehehehehe.

I'm Norwegian and know some english, this idiot can't even spell the easiest words. I love my Empeg, it's a cool kåmpjuter.....

TommyE

#2783 - 21/05/2000 14:33 Re: No flame war please [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have to agree with you, Rob.

I've only been participating on this BBS for 6 months or so, but I haven't seen a flame war in all that time. It'd be a shame to spoil that record now.

Still, it makes a good case for disabling anonymous postings on the BBS. See what happens when you don't require registration? PaulH, are you listening?

Empeg #144

#2784 - 21/05/2000 16:28 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3
corby
journeyman

What is it, only May 21st?

Troll season comes earlier and earlier each year...

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

P.S. My name spell checks out to 'Corcoran.' What the hell is Corcoran?

P.P.S. Hey, Rob said dick. That's a naughty word in the states. I wonder if the filter will accept 'pussy'? Yes, that's bloody good!

P.P.P.S. By reading this message, you agree that you are at least 18 years of age.

#2785 - 21/05/2000 18:13 Re: No flame war please [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Yes, PaulH -- I concur with Tony. No aomynous... uhh, no annonnymus.... uhh, no amonymous.... uhh... nobody post anything here without identifying themselves first, dammit!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#2786 - 21/05/2000 22:55 Re: Competition: Aiwa CDC-MP3
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
I wub you.

(O|||||O)

#2787 - 21/05/2000 23:50 Re: No flame war please [Re: tanstaafl.]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Heh, I'm guessing you have never extensivly done FTP via a command line process. It's the whole reason I know how to spell anonymous correctly is from hundreds of FTP site visits back in 1994.

Also, NT is why I know administrator. :-)

#2788 - 22/05/2000 00:41 Re: No flame war please [Re: drakino]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Win 95/98 is why I know the ESC key

-Waiting to replace the hole in my truck with a Mark2

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#2789 - 22/05/2000 01:28 Re: No flame war please [Re: rob]
teemcbee
addict

Such anonymous postings (if not disabled) should only be ignored.

They could never change my mind and my way of thinking about the empeg and I think those people who are interested in the empeg feel the same way I do when reading such postings.

MY only worry is to get a Mk 2 as soon as possible.

There will be many facturers who will come with a mp3 cd-player or flashcard player for the car in the end of this year or next year. For example blaupunkt will also offer an mp3-player for the car.

And Sony is about to bring out voice-recognition with some new models (But no mp3 - who know why ;-)

But the empeg combines voice recognition and the whole music archive (that you've converted) and a great look and is a very good car-stereo (I'm sure it is, although I don't have one yet) and is for individualists. Everyone has an alpine or sony or kenwood. They might be nice. but not enough for me.

Waiting so hard for the shipping of the Mk 2

TeeMcBee

#2790 - 22/05/2000 02:28 Re: No flame war please [Re: bmihulka]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
and linux is why I know "root"

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->Ethernet)(USB->COM 1-8)(USB->You name it)

#2791 - 22/05/2000 02:33 Re: No flame war please [Re: bmihulka]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Shouldn't that be the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys? Or the reset button? Or even just hitting your head against the keyboard?

:)

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#2792 - 22/05/2000 09:25 Re: No flame war please [Re: Mark Petersen]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, root is rather easy to spell compaired to administrator. I still find it funny looking at people trying to crack a Linux machine and seeing in the logs: "Failed logon: adminin^H^H^H". After that comes "Failed logon: administrator", then finally if they get a clue, "Incorrect password for: root"

#2793 - 22/05/2000 11:09 Re: No flame war please [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, you would have been proud of me. My first installation of Linux, I was presented with that login box under KDE, and I sat there for a minute, wondering what the user name would be. It had prompted me for the root password during installation, but never prompted me for an adminstrator's user name. Then I realized- DUH!, the root user name is "root". Typed it in correctly the first time.

Empeg #144

#2794 - 22/05/2000 18:47 Re: Post deleted by PaulH
corby
journeyman

Hey Paul, this is your BBS, and you can run it however you like. I'm just throwing out an opinion from a user who has enjoyed your BBS enough to donate to the cause.

As Empeg grows more and more popular, we are going to see more posts like the one you deleted, where someone who really has no interest in the Empeg community defaces the board with flamebait.

But I don't think deleting every such post is a very scalable process. As more and more such posts arise, you are more likely to be put in the sticky position of making questionable judgement calls about what to censor and what not to censor. Not to mention that someone persistent enough can simply repost.

So my suggestion would be to avoid deleting posts, even those that have no redeeming social value.

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#2795 - 22/05/2000 19:38 Re: Post deleted by PaulH [Re: corby]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Hopefully Paul will turn off the anonymous posting and then there will be less of a chance of that type of post.

Has anyone out there emailed Paul asking if he knows about the anonymous posting?

-Waiting to replace the hole in my truck with a Mark2

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#2796 - 22/05/2000 23:20 Re: Post deleted by PaulH [Re: bmihulka]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Has anyone out there emailed Paul asking if he knows about the anonymous posting?

I sent him a private BBS message. I think he knows. Perhaps he took care of it at the same time he deleted that other message. He seems to be a man of few words, but takes action when necessary.

For the record, that's the first piece of flame-bait I've seen on the BBS, and I think it's cool that no one took it.

#2797 - 23/05/2000 08:21 Re: No flame war please [Re: rob]
Kureg

In reply to:

I'd like to suggest that people don't get into a flamewar here. The post is obvious flamebait from someone who knows very little about the car player, and doesn't even have the guts to login to the BBS. Maybe it's the same guy who's being a dick on the mp3.com hardware discussion at the moment, who knows.

Save all the great advice for people who are actually open to other viewpoints.

I just thought I'd like to mention a few things. I never had the opportunity to read the "flamebait", but I'm sure that flame messages could have a slight negative impact on the morale of customers and the empeg developers. I'm sure that the empeg guys get lots of feedback from all the experienced empeg owners out there to lighten their days against attacks of this sort.

I'd like to offer my feedback from the perspective of a newbie to empeg, as well as a person without a great deal of money, and as a person that is definitely not an audiophile or enthusiast. I hope that it helps contribute to the overall morale of empeg (customers and developers), and illustrate that not all newbies share a flame point of view.

I have never owned or seen an empeg (other than videos). But from the first day I saw the empeg site and screen shots, I had to find out more.

Since then (almost two months), I am very hyped over the empeg. I was hyped about the Mark I and didn't even know there was going to be a Mark II at first. The Mark II pretty much gave me wood . I have since begun saving up every penny towards getting one of these players.

Even though the empeg unit has a large price tag attached, what has been the real selling factor for me and why I'm encouraged to buy an empeg is what I have seen from the community and empeg's staff. It is obvious that empeg is a company that has very good business ethics, but at the same time has a lot of care and consideration for their product and customers. Empeg is a company that has a lot of faith in their product and is motivated to please it's customers (both with technology and support). I am impressed with the empeg staff involving themselves with the community so personally. All this in combination with the excellent conversations and testimonies on this BBS truely make the competition look silly. I think that empeg has created an exceptional product with amazing potential, and a product that I myself believe in.

As a customer, I prefer to deal with companies that can see past the dollar bill and recognize that they have customers who are real people!

I don't think I can ever look at another head unit seriously again .

I've seen and researched details on the empeg car and I've sparked in the interest in all my friends, whom have passed that knowledge down the line to others. When I get my empeg car, it is my intentions to register it on the developer site in hopes that someone here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada will be interested in an empeg and wanna see it in operation. It would be nice to be able to promote such an awesome product that deserves as much attention as it can get!

The only thing I'm sad about now, is that I've run out of things to read about! I wish I had an empeg right now!

I don't think I'm the only stranger to share this opinion. I think the empeg guys are doing a great job and I can't wait to buy one. My sincere thanks and appreciation goes out to you, Rob, Hugo, and all you other empeg guys (and I don't even have an empeg yet)! Keep up the excellent work!

Actually, the community deserves some thanks too. The enormous amount of information I've aquired from all of you (tfabris, dionysus, hell there are too many of you to list) has been invaluable.

I hope this little ramble has helped to make the empeg guys realize just how much new people to the community really believe in the empeg car and it's developers!

Kureg

#2798 - 23/05/2000 16:15 Re: Post deleted by PaulH [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Tony,

That's a nice sig. Reminds me of the C64 days. Can you do a twirly cursor? ;)

Calvin

#2799 - 23/05/2000 16:58 Re: Post deleted by PaulH [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I actually experimented with coding some raster-scrolling stuff on the C-64 for a while. Tough stuff, but interesting. The twirly cursors I saw everywhere were irritating, though.

#2800 - 23/05/2000 18:35 Re: No flame war please [Re: Kureg]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Thanks for the nice comments :-) I can't help but think that we should quote feedback like that in our literature!

Anti-empeg flames don't generally affect our morale as the comments are usually ill-informed and immature. On MP3.com recently, the total demise of our company was confidently predicted by one rather rude poster. We find that kind of thing vaguely amusing, as the fact is that we can't recruit fast enough to be able to take on all of the work that has been offered to us. (Good C++ coders, apply to [email protected] for details!).

Rob

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2