Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281339 - 11/05/2006 05:42 Learning a language
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm off on holiday to Italy in October and I'd quite like to learn some Italian before I go.

I did French at school, while I managed to get a 'B' in my French O Level (and did an AS Level in business French), I never did manage to really speak it. I think the problem was always confidence, I always believed that I sounded like an idiot.

I am more confident generally now, so hopefully I'll be better at it now...

Can anyone recommend the best way to teach myself some Italian ?

#281340 - 11/05/2006 06:16 Re: Learning a language [Re: andy]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
I've found that for people who want conversational skills, the Rosetta Stone products seem to work well. $$$ but worth it.

#281341 - 11/05/2006 07:44 Re: Learning a language [Re: andy]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
I think the problem was always confidence, I always believed that I sounded like an idiot.

That's the key, you've got to forget all that self consciousness. we used to have loads of Spanish clients, one day I upset one, couldn't work out why so I started learning Spanish, just off phrase books and stuff but making sure that I spoke as much Spanish as I could to anyone I could. Yeah I made a tit of myself more than once but my conversational Spanish gets me underestood whenever I need to.

I'd also add that I was already bilingual; Punjabi/English, makes it a lot easier IMO to pick up another language later, I'd recommend anyone with kids to start them on a foreign language as young as possible.

#281342 - 12/05/2006 00:26 Re: Learning a language [Re: andy]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Being Italian I really would not know what to recommend to learn my language as a "foreigner", but for sure practicing will help you improve your Italian. So, if you happen to be in Rome, we may get together and have something to eat!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#281343 - 15/05/2006 17:47 Re: Learning a language [Re: webroach]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Rosetta Stone looks the most interesting to me, I like that neat approach they have of making the vocab sneak up on you instead of ramming translations down your throat.

Just need to decide whether to opt for the monthly "rental" model or buying it outright.

Thanks guys

#281344 - 17/05/2006 01:26 Re: Learning a language [Re: webroach]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
The other ones I've heard highly of are the Pimsleur courses. I don't know how they compare against the Rosetta Stone versions -- I've never done either. I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with them, though.