Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281891 - 23/05/2006 16:35 VoIPonCD - a free CD for getting an own VoIP-PBX in half an hour
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Oh yes, I should have done something for the empeg but that's life. For my degree I wanted to create something that people can use in real and nothing with just throwing calculations, formulas and sentences around me. So I created VoIPonCD (again sorry that I didn't put it into an empeg, but... now said... maybe this is a cool idea).

VoIPonCD brings a debian linux, Asterisk VoIP-PBX, MySQL, Apache Webserver and some more things to a fresh PC (without any operating system already installed). Even if you are not so common with Asterisk or a VoIP-PBX you can set up your own PBX by just clicking around.

Oh, and for the ones who do not know what's a VoIP-PBX: You can make phone calls on the internet even with real telephones using ATAs to convert it to IP. When using more than one telephone, needing voicemail or just want to play around you will need a PBX as you would do in the plain old telephone system. This PBX is just a piece of software for putting it on a PC.

I posted this here to mention that I didn't forget my empeg and the really good community here but I was quite busy creating this.

You can get VoIPonCD from http://www.voiponcd.com, the german speaking people can use http://www.voiponcd.de.

If there is someone who tries VoIPonCD please tell me if you like it.

Rolf

#281892 - 23/05/2006 17:15 Re: VoIPonCD - a free CD for getting an own VoIP-PBX in half an hour [Re: rowitech]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
I normally use *@H for my client setups if we're not hosting it on our main PBX, but I'll give your distro a shot the next time I'm having to roll out another PBX.

What I'm trying to work on is a setup where I have many small PBX setups running on one server that's easy to set up so I don't have to edit the extension.conf and sip.conf files by hand.

#281893 - 23/05/2006 18:29 Re: VoIPonCD - a free CD for getting an own VoIP-PBX in half an hour [Re: rowitech]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Perfect timing. I was just trying to sink some time online reading about Asterisk last night. So maybe you can share a bit of info to educate me and anyone else who still has a lot of qestions.

I'm vaguely familar with PBX systems of old but not so much on the provisioning side. The biggest meta question I have right now is what do I need to get this all going.

Here's how I have my place set up right now (no PBX or fancy distribution).

POTS = disconnected at the demarcation point.
CABLE Internet to cable modem to router (which connects up to some additional switches, pcs, etc..)
ATA (BroadvoxDirect branded Sipura device) connected via Ethernet to the Router
Cordless phone base connected to ATA which supplies signal to 5 phones around the house/office

I currently subscribe to a package with BroadvoxDirect for unlimited calling to Canada and US.

I'd love to have the same unlimited calling with VOIP but with the ability to run 3-5 unique calls at one time. Specifically with the ability to accept and transfer incoming calls when the line is busy (doing this manually as well as having people be able to key in an extension or other code to reach a specific number.

Some info I need:

Server requirements (Computer and normal computer bits)
What additional hardware to plug into the server.
Any special phones to pick up?
General process for achieving above goal.

And anything else I need to know/obtain/setup to get what I mentioned above?

Bruno

#281894 - 23/05/2006 19:13 Re: VoIPonCD - a free CD for getting an own VoIP-PBX in half an hour [Re: hybrid8]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Everything is possible but not all features are implemented in VoIPonCD by default. Nevertheless everything which can be done with Asterisk can be somewhat easier done with VoIPonCD. Callforwarding can be used at the telephone's side but also being implemented in the dialplan. I did not put in all features the base system is able to handle, just a small set of features to set up easily your first PBX.

It is very good if you know a linux shell, then you are able to do almost everything. You need an (maybe old) PC with at least 500 MHz and 128 MB RAM. Even older PCs are working for not too many telephones. As a helping direction I can say that I had about 500 registered users and 200 simultaneous calls with a 1000 MHz Dual-Pentium III with 1 GB RAM, so for a home PBX you may be happy with your old 300 MHz PC with 64 MB RAM, but I never tried it. Use a harddisk with at least 2 GB space and be aware that everything will get lost on this harddisk when installing VoIPonCD! If you just have a virtual server, try the script shown at http://forum.voiponcd.com.

Rolf