Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282644 - 06/06/2006 23:36 Serious Subaru Stealth System
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Since I upgraded my install I thought I'd make a stealth faceplate like others on this board have. I used expando foam to fill the back of the faceplate and bondo/paint on top of that so it makes the faceplate square and fit in the box that my Nakamichi faceplate rides in. I just set it on top of the Empeg sled and it's happy there faking out all the punk-ass wannabe radio thieves in my 'hood.

Really real:

Closeup:

#282645 - 07/06/2006 13:55 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: cushman]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
excellent. this is my next step for a completely stealth install.

I don't need to cover an existing HU though, I need to cover the hole that the empeg leaves behind when I take it out. I suppose I'll just buy some super cheap-o DIN unit and modify it.

any ideas on ones that will work for the size?

#282646 - 07/06/2006 14:35 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: ithoughti]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
any ideas on ones that will work for the size?

I'd like to find something like this, too. Some kind of pocket that would fit in the sled to make it appear to be just another storage pocket would be ideal. I painted my sled black to make it look more like a part of the dash, but if someone looks closely they would see something is supposed to be there.

#282647 - 08/06/2006 08:22 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: cushman]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
A storage pocket in my mondeo dashboard pops out to reveal a second DIN mounting position.

Following a little file work, that same storage pocket slides nicely into the empeg sled to achieve the stealth look.

#282648 - 08/06/2006 10:22 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: jarob10]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Cool idea! I have a DIN sized pocket under my Empeg (here). If I get hold of another pocket from a scrapyard I'm going to make that fit in the sled. Two pockets in the dash - that'll confuse 'em.

#282649 - 10/06/2006 16:09 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: cushman]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
AWESOME! Now, the big question: what Subaru radio died to make that faceplate? If you cut up your own, how will you resell the car in its stock configuration (needing a new wood dash piece also)? Or will you leave the upgraded unit in there?

For my fake faceplate (soon to be pluralized), I bought used units off eBay to cut up (and lower end units than the ones I had, to make it look even less attractive). With the original headunit in a box, and wiring harnesses in the dash, I can easily revert back to the stock configuration to sell the car. Of course, I plan to drive my cars into the ground, but still, it's a nice option to have.

For the dash pocket, I bought one off Crutchfield thinking it was a "dashboard adaption kit" for my car. Turns out, it's just a pocket to fill the second DIN slot they though I wouldn't use. Pocket + trim ring = simple empeg sled filler. Though, I'd recommend buying a used whatever-was-there-before off eBay to cover the hole, making it super stock.

#282650 - 10/06/2006 20:38 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: FireFox31]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
AWESOME! Now, the big question: what Subaru radio died to make that faceplate? If you cut up your own, how will you resell the car in its stock configuration (needing a new wood dash piece also)? Or will you leave the upgraded unit in there?

I used my old stock stereo. I'm planning on keeping the car for some time, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The new wood-grain facia is $100, but I'm not going to rip out all the installed stuff for a new car, I'll leave most of it there (maybe I'll take the HU).

Quote:
For the dash pocket, I bought one off Crutchfield thinking it was a "dashboard adaption kit" for my car. Turns out, it's just a pocket to fill the second DIN slot they though I wouldn't use. Pocket + trim ring = simple empeg sled filler. Though, I'd recommend buying a used whatever-was-there-before off eBay to cover the hole, making it super stock.

Show me! I'd like to see the filler in the dash, and if it would work for my install. What's the link to the product on Cruchfield?

#282651 - 10/06/2006 23:22 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: cushman]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Here's the "dash kit" whose description I didn't read close enough before buying. It was a recommended part for my Volvo, so essentially works in any true double din opening. Yours looks a little bit more narrow, so it may be trickey. Nothing a dremmel against the many trim rings couldn't fix. And since the pocket itself is smaller in height and width than the DIN opening, it should fit in the empeg sled with no problem.

I still have mine, gathering dust, so I'll test fit it in my sled and take some pictures for you. Maybe Sunday night or so.

#282652 - 02/07/2006 15:00 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: cushman]
ithoughti
old hand

Thought I would post a pic or two of my solution for stealth in the WRX...

I got an old tapedeck from an '00 Impreza and ripped off the faceplate, then glued the knobs back on. It fits perfectly in the sled opening.

To the would-be thief, I think that looking in from the outside at an angle through my dark tinted windows, the tape deck is pretty convincing.

#282653 - 02/07/2006 18:12 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: ithoughti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Awesome. I love those kinds of stealth installs.

#282654 - 08/07/2006 22:08 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

But where do you find old sacrifice decks for their faceplates? My latest project took me months of searching. Both times now, I've tried contacting salvage yards, but get no response. THOSE guys must have stacks of dead, flooded out, and otherwise scrap stock decks for use as fake faceplates. Must be a business opportunity, if a source could be found.....

#282655 - 09/07/2006 08:05 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: FireFox31]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
They do. Just drop by and pull one from the stack...it's not too difficult. I rarely get any response from those guys either.

#282656 - 10/07/2006 00:57 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: FireFox31]
ithoughti
old hand

Quote:
But where do you find old sacrifice decks for their faceplates? My latest project took me months of searching. Both times now, I've tried contacting salvage yards, but get no response. THOSE guys must have stacks of dead, flooded out, and otherwise scrap stock decks for use as fake faceplates. Must be a business opportunity, if a source could be found.....

Ebay my friend. and mine wasn't dead. It was a totally functional tapedeck for an '00 Impreza, but I was wiling to part with $25 for it.

#282657 - 10/07/2006 03:48 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: ithoughti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Jeez, I thought everyone was cutting up the original factory stereos they pulled from their own dashboards before installing the empeg.

#282658 - 13/07/2006 01:48 Re: Serious Subaru Stealth System [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

No way, man. Original stereo goes in a box for future replacement when the car is resold.

My sacrifice Volvo radio from eBay cost an insanely cheap $40 (item+shipping), and I intentionally bought the lower end model to decrease appearance.

But my soon-to-be-cut-apart sacrifice Benz radio from eBay cost a "rather cheap" $85. They were regularly selling for much more, I just found a guy with a poorly written, thus underexposed listing.

$85 for peace of mind is a price I'll pay any day of the week. I just wish I could see the dealer/independant mechanic when my car is in the shop and they want to hear the radio. They spin the loose knobs and press the buttons with no click until the entire faceplate falls to the floor mats. Must be funny to see their reaction.