Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282766 - 08/06/2006 19:04 Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet!
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
http://www.google.com/googlespreadsheets/tour1.html

Shot across MSFT's bow... Or was this a direct hit?

- Jon

#282767 - 09/06/2006 10:52 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: jbauer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Create basic spreadsheets

I'd say across.

Do they have a word processor yet? I might have missed it given the large amount of products Google has been putting out recently, but I would have thought that would be first (before a spreadsheet program, at least).

Anyway, given my personal needs for office software, if Google releases a word processor, I'm done with Office, OpenOffice, etc. At least for personal use. I already exclusively use GMail and Google Calendar as opposed to Outlook/Thunderbird. It all works perfectly for me, and I'm very excited that they're talking about adapting Google Calendar for smartphones.

I say go Google! As long as you don't require that I use Google Desktop, we're cool.

#282768 - 10/06/2006 15:17 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
But WHY web-based? I don't understand the push behind Office Live and competeing Google office web apps. I don't want my data going out over the Internet (ie: restricted-access research spreadsheets or letters to a lawyer). Can I code macros/VB to manipulate web-based data?

On the flip side, I'm flat out desperate for a way to prevent my coworkers from e-mailing files to eachother. If they could simply give eachother access to their web-based files and send URLs, that would be great. But the whole reason to stop e-mailing files is to keep them from flying across the Internet, which is what web-office data would be doing.

With all the VB coding/hacking I'm doing for a database I'm creating, I'm learning to appreciate how MS Office apps link together on their undersides. And at work, these links exist in the simple user interface. It's nice to instruct my users that they can copy and paste Excel tables into Word and PowerPoint, leaving them fully editable in "Excel mode". Can I do that on web-office apps?

#282769 - 10/06/2006 21:30 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: FireFox31]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Don't like the fact that if I rely on this it is not going to work if my internet connection breaks, or will be slow if I'm downloading something at the same time. It means I wouldn't be able to do any work without connecting up - eg on a train or something. Can't imagine using that over GPRS.

#282770 - 11/06/2006 04:31 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But WHY web-based?

Because the last spreadsheet I created was to compare the dimensions of the MP3 players I'm thinking of buying.

You're talking about work-related info. I'm talking about the fact that for personal purposes, I've only created about 4 Word documents in the last year. I can't fathom spending all that money on Office. Sure I could use something like AbiWord, but the convenience of having my file available to me from any computer (with internet) is appealing.

And Sein- I don't mind being internet dependant. My connection is pretty reliable, so if I don't have internet at home, I'm probably in the middle of a blackout. Oh, and high-speed wireless networks are becoming pretty common EVDO kicks GPRS's butt. Even so, I'm typing this all on my Treo 600, and despite being a little slower to type on, it's sufficient to browse the board. I think you're also forgetting about mobile versions of sites. I use mobile GMail all the time and it's excellent.

#282771 - 12/06/2006 05:02 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Do they have a word processor yet?

Writely?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#282772 - 12/06/2006 10:37 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: bonzi]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Do they have a word processor yet?

Writely?

Yeah, I have a Writely account, but I never use it. Mostly because it isn't a Google service. I could have used one of many online calendars, but I waited until Google had their own. I was then able to share calendars with my fiancee who also has a Google account (this is pretty useful when planning a wedding ).

It's probably only a matter of time until Google buys Writely (if they haven't already - I can't remember if that happened...). More likely, they'll put together a very basic word processor like this spreadsheet app.

#282773 - 12/06/2006 10:53 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
It's probably only a matter of time until Google buys Writely (if they haven't already - I can't remember if that happened...)

Writely The Web Word Processor
...that's now part of Google.

#282774 - 12/06/2006 11:06 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
sein
old hand

Quote:
You're talking about work-related info. I'm talking about the fact that for personal purposes, I've only created about 4 Word documents in the last year...

Good point!

Quote:
I'm typing this all on my Treo 600, and despite being a little slower to type on, it's sufficient to browse the board.

Ah the little 600, I miss browsing the BBS on that baby. I've now got a 650 with Blazer v4.3.2.1 and it barfs at some pages, and on here it wants to save .php files instead of viewing them. I really do think some of the software on the 600 was better in some ways (First Name, Last Name in the address book is now impossible! As is mapping the center button to the Call Log when in the Phone app, grr). Will try out some different browsers soon.

#282775 - 12/06/2006 13:53 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: sein]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
<snip> I've now got a 650 with Blazer v4.3.2.1 and it barfs at some pages, and on here it wants to save .php files instead of viewing them. I really do think some of the software on the 600 was better in some ways (First Name, Last Name in the address book is now impossible! As is mapping the center button to the Call Log when in the Phone app, grr). Will try out some different browsers soon.

You CAN set the Treo 650 up for Last Name, First Name. Check Options -> Preferences when in the contacts list.

How did you get a later version of Blazer? I only have v4.0!

- Thanx
- Jon

#282776 - 12/06/2006 14:25 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: jbauer]
sein
old hand

Quote:
You CAN set the Treo 650 up for Last Name, First Name. Check Options -> Preferences when in the contacts list.

Yeah, thats what I'm using now. But I don't think it is as good as having First Name, Last Name (the other way around) a la Treo 600. I like it to be informal.

Quote:

What software version are you running? Check in the phone app, Options, Phone Info. The latest one is 1.20 which mainly adds Gmail attachment support to VersaMail and much better sound quality over Bluetooth as well as point upgrades to things like Blazer.

#282777 - 12/06/2006 14:33 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: sein]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Quote:

What software version are you running? Check in the phone app, Options, Phone Info. The latest one is 1.20 which mainly adds Gmail attachment support to VersaMail and much better sound quality over Bluetooth as well as point upgrades to things like Blazer.

I only have 1.13, but I don't think a later version has been released for Sprint CDMA... http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/

Or is it available somewhere else?

Oh, sorry - I must have mis-read your note about First Name, Last Name...

- Jon

#282778 - 12/06/2006 14:37 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

Quote:
Oh, and high-speed wireless networks are becoming pretty common EVDO kicks GPRS's butt. Even so, I'm typing this all on my Treo 600, and despite being a little slower to type on, it's sufficient to browse the board. I think you're also forgetting about mobile versions of sites. I use mobile GMail all the time and it's excellent.

I will second this. I just got this phone on Sprint's network and the speeds are insane. There are also a couple really nice browsers available for Windows Mobile that make using EVDO really sweet.

#282779 - 12/06/2006 17:15 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: jbauer]
sein
old hand

Quote:
I only have 1.13, but I don't think a later version has been released for Sprint CDMA... http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/

Or is it available somewhere else?

It does appear the software versions between CDMA and GSM are different (I am running unbranded GSM software on my Orange UK phone). It is interesting to see both CDMA 1.13 and GSM 1.20 came out in January 2006, yet they have different versions of Blazer and such.

TBH as they are dated similarly I really doubt you are missing out on much.

#282780 - 12/06/2006 17:34 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: tahir]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
It's probably only a matter of time until Google buys Writely (if they haven't already - I can't remember if that happened...)

Writely The Web Word Processor
...that's now part of Google.

D'oh! I didn't actually go to the page. I thought I heard about that a while ago but wasn't sure. Looking at it now, it appears that they're in the process of integrating it, so when that happens I'll be using that. Excellent!

#282781 - 14/06/2006 09:22 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK

#282782 - 14/06/2006 10:57 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: furtive]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, it could be a PayPal killer, but at first it'll only be for merchants. Oddly, the article didn't even touch upon the possibility for any person to use it.

#282783 - 14/06/2006 11:17 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Google for President!

#282784 - 14/06/2006 11:55 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: ]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Oooh, and this I like

http://sketchup.google.com/

#282785 - 14/06/2006 11:58 Re: Interesting new Google app - Spreadsheet! [Re: furtive]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Oooh, and this I like

http://sketchup.google.com/

You devil! I've been avoiding that for weeks now, but I felt compelled to click. My productivity will be ruined!