Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#282897 - 14/06/2006 06:30 Re: World Cup [Re: julf]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Unfortunately that is a trait that some Dutch authors have copied as well - Harry Mulisch is probably the best example.

Oh, I hadn't really spotted until now that The Discovery Of Heaven was translated from the Dutch. Now that really is a book where all the flummery and intellectualism is there to hide a weak story. (Not that flummery by itself is necessarily bad -- there's such a thing as good flummery in its own right, such as in Gormenghast or The Pope's Rhinoceros. But if the flummery's no good, and the story it's hiding is no good either, what's the point?)

Peter

#282898 - 14/06/2006 16:21 Re: World Cup [Re: peter]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Oh, I hadn't really spotted until now that The Discovery Of Heaven was translated from the Dutch. Now that really is a book where all the flummery and intellectualism is there to hide a weak story. (Not that flummery by itself is necessarily bad -- there's such a thing as good flummery in its own right, such as in Gormenghast or The Pope's Rhinoceros. But if the flummery's no good, and the story it's hiding is no good either, what's the point?)

Indeed. He is still considered one of the 3 "great" Dutch authors.

#282899 - 10/07/2006 22:14 Re: World Cup [Re: julf]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Back to the topic, I admit I'm very happy. Of course, it's good to see flags all around, everybody happy and thinking life is good and all is fine.
I don't even mind hearing, reading, seeing football/soccer everywhere

But, I'm afraid in few days it's going to be a little daily nightmare...
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#282900 - 10/07/2006 23:09 Re: World Cup [Re: Taym]
visuvius
addict

Well I (almost) thoroughly enjoyed the 2006 World Cup. I watched the majority of the games in full and it was super entertaining. Its really cool seeing everyone so fired up. And I gotta be honest, its a bit sappy but I really got a kick out of things like hearing the crazy fan chants and jersey swapping at the end of the game.

Like many, I was disappointed with the way the final ended. Zidane is awesome but I was completely dumbfounded at the end of the game? The guy was on his way to becoming a legend but his stock took a serious hit when he knocked that italian to the ground.

Why Zinadine, WHY?!?!

#282901 - 11/07/2006 06:25 Re: World Cup [Re: visuvius]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Why Zinadine, WHY?!?!

Note to self: Don't *ever* tweak a player's nipple.
I'd like to know what words were exchanged in the moments between the tweak and the head-butt.

#282902 - 11/07/2006 06:55 Re: World Cup [Re: Robotic]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I'd like to know what words were exchanged in the moments between the tweak and the head-butt.

For a split second there I thought you were implying that Marco Materazzi threatened to go outside to the carpark and break the nipple off Zinedine Zidane's Empeg VFD. That is the kind of thing that would definately justify a headbutt.

#282903 - 11/07/2006 08:19 Re: World Cup [Re: visuvius]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
The guy was on his way to becoming a legend but his stock took a serious hit when he knocked that italian to the ground.

It's changed nothing. It'll all be forgotten in a couple of weeks, Zidane is one of the greatest players to grace the football field. He is nothing compared to the player he was 5 years ago, we saw moments of it this world cup, but 5 years ago those moments would have lasted complete games.

It'll all be forgotton and he'll go down in history as one of the truely special players.

Look at maradona and everything he did on and off the field, he's still one of the greats and will be forever more, you can never tire of seeing footage of him playing.

#282904 - 11/07/2006 11:53 Re: World Cup [Re: Robotic]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Quote:
Why Zinadine, WHY?!?!

Zinadine has a history of doing stuff like that, but so does Materazzi. Hardly anybody remembers the Red Card (and two game suspension) he got for intentionally stepping on the player's back when he was down or the previous headbutt. Maybe because it didn't cost them the championship that time, but great feats on the pitch tend to overshadow the uglier aspects of competitiveness.

The report I heard said that Materazzi called him a 'dirty terrorist'. I don't know the exact political climate over there, but even though that isn't exactly a nice thing to say it shouldn't have provoked him that badly. Materazzi denied it, so it is a case of 'he said - he said' and we might never find out what provoked him.

Overall I enjoyed all the matches I was able to watch. The final was especially thrilling.

#282905 - 11/07/2006 12:04 Re: World Cup [Re: Tim]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

History or no, Zidane did it in front of a billion people, replayed over and over. It's hard to forget. I figure that Zidane will be permanently tainted by this is in precisely the same way that Bill Clinton was tainted by the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal. No matter all the good things he did in his career, the scandal will always hang around his neck.

#282906 - 11/07/2006 15:54 Re: World Cup [Re: DWallach]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I totally agree that it was bad, and it pisses me off that he ended his international career like that. However, some of his other outbursts were in highly publicized games (the headbutt in a Championships League game while he was with Juventis) and the stomping on the Saudi's back was during the World Cup (1998).

At the time, he got all kinds of coverage for the two game suspension from the World Cup because of that 'attack' (what it was referred to as at the time). A couple weeks later, nobody remembered it and everybody was focused on his scoring two goals to help France destroy Brazil in the finals. It will taint his reputation, no doubt about that. It wouldn't taint it nearly as much if France ended up winning, though. It is almost as if he is being used as a scapegoat for France losing to Italy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2