Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#283490 - 18/06/2006 19:31 Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps
TankheaD
new poster

Loc: MaryLand , USA
Hey all!

Reading up on the install process for emphatic I saw the line about an install prompt for setting aside some player memory for emphatic and other apps.

I've got a MkIIa, and I was thinking about trying out the GPS app, so do you think that I should set aside space now? If so, how much?

If I don't do it during this install, is it something that I can come back to and change easily later on?

#283491 - 19/06/2006 01:41 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: TankheaD]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
On my Mk2a, 12 or 16 was a good setting for ReserveCache when running just emphatic.

Thing is, I don't think you're going to have success running gpsapp and emphatic at the same time. The problem is, two apps tend to fight with each other in terms of controlling the display, etc. emphatic has a mechanism for going "to the background" with the "Hide" menu option, but I remember people complaining that the two still wouldn't coexist. As a non-gpsapp user, I really can't comment on why that might be.

#283492 - 19/06/2006 01:46 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: TankheaD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I run Emphatic and GPSapp both on my player, and I can't run them both at startup because of what TonyC just said: They fight for the display.

There is Yet Another Program written by someone on this BBS called "Launcher", which you can run at startup and it'll let you choose various apps to run.

#283493 - 19/06/2006 02:05 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There is Yet Another Program written by someone on this BBS called "Launcher", which you can run at startup and it'll let you choose various apps to run.

Actually, with the advent of Hijack's "MENUEXEC" commands, Launcher is really no longer necessary. You can just add MENUEXEC lines for all the apps you want to be able to launch, and run them on demand, instead of just when you're booting up.

#283494 - 19/06/2006 02:17 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh yeah, that's right, he implemented that after I'd already set up Launcher the way I liked it.

#283495 - 24/06/2006 12:16 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: tonyc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
("the form you have submitted is no longer valid" after typing a huge reply. Cushman, what's that java/netstat hack for getting POST data?)

I installed Emphatic and want to run it using MENUEXEC. Do I need a "Launcher"? How do I edit the config.ini (is there an editor via Telnet, Jemplode showed me a blank box, and does the FAQ's reg hack display the whole ini in Emplode?)? And where do I put this code:

;@EXEC_ONCE /usr/local/bin/emphatic
;@MENUEXEC +emphatic exec /usr/local/bin/emphatic

I know the answer is out there, I searched, but I just got more confused because I know nothing about HiJack or 3rd party software. Thanks.

#283496 - 24/06/2006 15:47 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You don't need Launcher, and you should only use one of those two exec lines, not both (I think).

#283497 - 25/06/2006 12:42 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Ok, cool. But where in config.ini should I put them. Do they need their own [section] or what section do they go under?

If anyone has a nicely filled out config.ini, please post it. I learn better by copying a working example than by descriptions. Thanks.

#283498 - 25/06/2006 15:00 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: FireFox31]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I just have the exec_once line in my config.ini and I edit using emplode most of the time. However I'm not sure what mem to set aside - I still haven't got around to soldering the final address line for the extra RAM so it doesn't work perfectly.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#283499 - 25/06/2006 16:59 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: FireFox31]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Ok, cool. But where in config.ini should I put them. Do they need their own [section] or what section do they go under?

If anyone has a nicely filled out config.ini, please post it. I learn better by copying a working example than by descriptions. Thanks.

EXEC_ONCE and MENUEXEC entries go in the [hijack] section. Here's mine:

[hijack]
;@MENUEXEC +player exec /empeg/bin/player
;@MENUEXEC +emphatic exec /usr/local/bin/emphatic
;@MENUEXEC +empsync exec /usr/local/bin/empsync
;@MENUEXEC +emptriv exec bash -c 'cd /usr/local/emptriv; ./emptriv'
;@MENUEXEC +empacman exec /usr/local/bin/empacman
;@MENUEXEC +empsoko exec /usr/local/bin/empsoko
;@MENUEXEC +emptris exec /usr/local/bin/emptris

Everything else you need should have been installed by the emphatic install script. If you chose to have the install script add the EXEC_ONCE entry for you, you'll want to get rid of that if you just want to run it via MENU_EXEC and not on startup.

#283500 - 25/06/2006 17:49 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

[hijack]
;@MENUEXEC +player exec /empeg/bin/player

Or to generalize that a bit more:

[hijack]
;@MENUEXEC your_menu_label_here the_command its options and arguments

Prefixing the_command with exec is a Good Idea(tm).

Sticking plus-signs (+) at the start of all of the menu labels simply makes them easier to find (visually) from the Hijack menu at run-time.

#283501 - 25/06/2006 23:31 Re: Emphatic install question, setting aside space for apps [Re: mlord]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Excelent, examples and formulas. Thanks so much Tony and Mark!