Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284830 - 26/07/2006 19:22 2000 Freelander Install
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
My current set of install pics are to be found at http://rhodes.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album01

It's a 2001 spec. 2.5ltr V6 petrol automatic that guzzles fuel like a guzzling thing ... but I like it. Plenty of grunt in sport mode at the low end but not overly responsive in higher gears.

I broke a cable on my Parrot phone kit when I took it out of the old car and so I'm waiting for a new cable to arrive. Then I can complete the full install. The important thing is in .. the player.

I've kept the stock speakers to see how they perform, however, I think I'll be looking for some new ones pretty soon.

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#284831 - 26/07/2006 19:42 Re: 2000 Freelander Install [Re: srhodes]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Very nice install! It's nice when auto makers do things right! With the amount of room you have, is it difficult to pull up the handle to remove it?

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#284832 - 28/07/2006 00:26 Re: 2000 Freelander Install [Re: srhodes]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Nice install! What a nice, non-destrive fit. And wow, that's a LOT of wires to make the thing work. And that's quite a colorful empeg in the earlier pictures! Good stuff.

#284833 - 29/07/2006 08:53 Re: 2000 Freelander Install [Re: FireFox31]
srhodes
enthusiast

Quote:
Very nice install! It's nice when auto makers do things right! With the amount of room you have, is it difficult to pull up the handle to remove it?

There is a bit of space around the empeg when it is in. I'd like to get some sort of surround to make it neater but I think it would need to be too thin. I can easily get to the handle and at the moment, the space actually helps as I haven't bent the tabs to hold the sled in place yet. I'm waiting until I get the hands-free sorted out before I do that so I have to hold the edge of the sled with my fingernails while I pull the empeg out.

Quote:
Nice install! What a nice, non-destrive fit. And wow, that's a LOT of wires to make the thing work. And that's quite a colorful empeg in the earlier pictures! Good stuff.

I guess there's a certain amount of bias towards those buttons

The old set nicely matched my Alfa dials. I'm going to try a few different mix of lenses and buttons again at some point but at the moment the smoked with the green looks nice. The great thing about being able change even just the lens on the empeg is that it seems to give it a new breath of life when you do it.

All the wiring is the radio module, handsfree and stalk connector. The handsfree does have a lot of wiring as it is made to cater for all wiring assemblies for ease of install. I'm tempted to cut away the excess (for non ISO looms) and also do some trimming on the stalk connector.

#284834 - 29/07/2006 14:20 Re: 2000 Freelander Install [Re: srhodes]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
There is a bit of space around the empeg when it is in. I'd like to get some sort of surround to make it neater but I think it would need to be too thin.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for?

#284835 - 01/08/2006 15:46 Re: 2000 Freelander Install [Re: tfabris]
srhodes
enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for?

I had looked at those pics a long time ago. Thanks for reminding me. I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on.