Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#286182 - 30/08/2006 16:47 Distributed Computing?
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Hi-

For a long time I've thought that projects like SETI@home were pretty cool.
Recently, the thought worked its way back to the forefront of my brain and I went to my favorite source for more information about distributed computing.
I signed up my home computer to work on projects for the World Community Grid.
Anyone have some thoughts or experiences to share?

WCG allows 'teams' to sum their points (for no real benefit other than looking like fun statistics). There isn't an empeg team... yet!

#286183 - 30/08/2006 17:31 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Robotic]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Apparently Folding@home has had some good results. I would get in on some of these programs, but my computer hasn't been very reliable, and the software that most of these programs distributes hasn't been very good, IMO.

#286184 - 31/08/2006 00:38 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Robotic]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
My only problem is that since it makes your CPU run at 100% all the time, it ends up costing a bit in power comsumption, both in electricity for processing, and in heat generated by the CPU that then has to be air conditioned. Not major issues, but I don't like my chip staying hot when I'm not using it.

#286185 - 31/08/2006 01:05 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Robotic]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I used to be really big into distributed.net and was ranked pretty high. One big reason that I stopped though was due to moving to more thermal controlled systems with dynamic fans. First my Shuttle XPC, and most recently to laptops. Having to hear what would normally be a quiet machine turn into a beast as noisy as full desktop PCs got on my nerves quickly.

I also see no concrete benefits from these programs. Many sound good in theory, but lack any real world results now after years of being out there. I'd much rather donate my money directly to the scientific communities involved in real research instead of handing that money over to the local energy company by having my system run 24/7 full tilt.

#286186 - 31/08/2006 11:10 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I also see no concrete benefits from these programs. Many sound good in theory, but lack any real world results now after years of being out there.

That's why I said that this Folding@home program seems to have yielded some results. I can't begin to understand what they're talking about, but others who do understand seem to be saying good things.

#286187 - 31/08/2006 11:59 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Dignan]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
I run this 'distributed computing' screensaver:

http://www.electricsheep.org/

The results are clearly visible, pretty pictures to save your screen
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#286188 - 04/09/2006 16:00 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Robotic]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I've been running WCG for maybe 9 months now on numerous computers. I have no idea if it will benefit the biomedical community, but I sure hope it will.

I don't see how a computer running 100% or running 2% (idle) are any different on power input. My power supply is still pulling in the same amount regardless. WCG or not, I never shut my computer off and never put it in any stand by or power save (because no computer ever seems to reliably recover from those).

The WCG Windows client (United Devices) is simple for casual users and causes minimal slowdown to the system. The cross platform client (Boinc) allows for running many different computing projects, allows remote management, allows multi processor and more. And there is an active community on the WCG forums to help with configuration, troubleshooting, deployment/management automation, etc.

During the summer, the CPU heat was a problem since some of my computers were in un-airconditioned spaces. Remotely, I was able to have them run only at night. Later, the ability was built in to throttle CPU usage to any percentage.

I am glad to use 100% of my CPU time toward a project which may have some potential. If I'm not using it, then it's wasted.

#286189 - 04/09/2006 16:12 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Schido]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

That Electric Sheep project looks very very cool. The family tree is very interesting, seeing how influence of two parent images can be seen in a child image.

Windows Media Player visualizations, eat your heart out.

#286190 - 04/09/2006 16:56 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: lectric]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
Not major issues, but I don't like my chip staying hot when I'm not using it.

I was a little worried about this once you mentioned it, but I found this FAQ page that relates more info as to how WCG handles this.
Specifically, there's a way to 'throttle' CPU usage up or down from the default 60%.
Personally, I don't expect much of a change to my electricity bill because my CPU is flip-flopping more than before. Also, I'm not about to do any specific data collection to prove to myself one way or the other. Hmm... maybe someone on the WCG user forum has already done just that?

I hope that the WCG is actually helping to solve these medical problems. If it isn't, then I think the issue lies in applying the method to the right kind of task. As distributed computing becomes more well known and organized this issue should solve itself.
So at the very least I'm helping to prove the willingness of the general public to assist in projects like this.
I don't think it hurts and I do think it helps- in one way or another.

edit: Found a forum entry in the WCG FAQ that relates to power consumption (over the thumb = +10%).
I know the worry was CPU temp, but I thought I'd just throw this in as an aside (temperature having been addressed by the 'throttle' feature).

Edited by Robotic (04/09/2006 19:03)

#286191 - 04/09/2006 18:14 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I know you're loath to upgrade, but surely you're not still running a CPU that doesn't have an idle state. Modern CPUs (where "modern" probably means "engineered in the last decade") consume much less power when they're not doing anything than when they're running full bore. That's why fans kick on: to dissipate the additional heat generated by the additional power consumption.

Personally, I'm fine with trading that off with the computer doing something, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're getting something for nothing.

#286192 - 04/09/2006 19:45 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: FireFox31]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Just because your power supply is CAPABLE of pulling 350 watts, doesn't mean it necessarily IS.

#286193 - 05/09/2006 03:04 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: FireFox31]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't see how a computer running 100% or running 2% (idle) are any different on power input. My power supply is still pulling in the same amount regardless. WCG or not, I never shut my computer off and never put it in any stand by or power save (because no computer ever seems to reliably recover from those).

Noise & Power benchmarks from Anantech on a few recent Core 2 systems showing the difference between idle, 100% CPU, and also GPU. It's about 40w difference for the Core 2, and worse for older processors. This shows a Pentium Extreme edition using up 76w more power when running at 100% compared to idle. A power supply for any device only pulls the necessary power requested by the components inside. If a processor goes into an idle states, portions of it have no power flowing through the transistors, and the CPU isn't trying to pull as much power. Modern processors not only have an idle and active state, but they have several steps they can take to reduce power usage even during light CPU usage.

As far as the power saving modes, my media center system and my laptop both enter and exit sleep mode just fine many times between actual reboots. Though that may have something to do with the OS, since OS X runs on both.

#286194 - 06/09/2006 23:33 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Good points, all around.

My Athlon C 1.4 likely does have an idle state, but the fans don't know about it and run full even at idle. The newer machines I manage are much better about this.

I've got some electrical engineering to learn before I'll truely know if my "enegry conservation efforts" are paying off. Too many assumptions (always turn off CRTs and room lights, but leave flourescents on because they consume more power when starting up) and not enough information (I thought the PSU always drew 350 watt).

What I do know is, my "energy conservation" is nullified by so many inefficient and wasteful systems out there. And my energy waste is similarly dwarfed by them. Makes me wonder what is the power consumption of the entire WCG (or any other distro computing project)? Maybe we should opt for having a super computer do it slower but with less total (project life) power consumption.

#286195 - 07/09/2006 00:15 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: FireFox31]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I've got some electrical engineering to learn before I'll truely know if my "enegry conservation efforts" are paying off. Too many assumptions (always turn off CRTs and room lights, but leave flourescents on because they consume more power when starting up)

Typical 4' flourescent bulb: 40W. Typical fixture: 2x40W = 80W consumption when "on".

Maximum permitted draw on typical circuit: 1500W.
Assume flourescents take 5-seconds to startup.
Absolute theoretical worst case possible power usage when turning on flourescent fixture is therefore 5-sec x 1500W; much (*much*) less in real life.

This is equivalent to "leaving them on" for 94 seconds absolute worst case.
(5 x 1500 / 80W = 93.75 seconds).

Conclusion: turn them off if planning to be out of the room for more than a minute and a half.

Note: this calculation ignores cost of replacement of dead bulbs due to too many on/off cyles.

Cheers

#286196 - 07/09/2006 01:26 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: FireFox31]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
What I do know is, my "energy conservation" is nullified by so many inefficient and wasteful systems out there. And my energy waste is similarly dwarfed by them. Makes me wonder what is the power consumption of the entire WCG (or any other distro computing project)? Maybe we should opt for having a super computer do it slower but with less total (project life) power consumption.

The way I see it, the old saying "Think globally, act locally" applies.
This Slashdot topic from a couple of days ago relates the massive engergy savings possible if only everyone switched out their normal incandescent bulbs for fluorenscents. (Much arguing ensued, I'll let you read it and draw your own conclusions.)
The amount of *additional* power expended on the part of my PC while doing chores for WCG amounts to *maybe* 50W (I'm guessing conservatively high). I could easily offset this by replacing a few bulbs with the swirly fluorescents. Of course, this is my opinion.
As for the supercomputer question, WCG answers this by mentioning the high cost of supercomputing support and infrastructure. Many grid-possible projects just don't get the funding required for supercomputing. For the 'grid-vs-supercomputer' argument, they're mostly citing usage-based cost issues, not power-based cost issues.

#286197 - 07/09/2006 03:03 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: mlord]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Actually, a flourescent bulb will draw about 2.5 times it's running current to start up, so a 15 watt light will draw 45 watts, for about 2 seconds. Even giving it 5 seconds, starting up the light will only cost you 15 seconds of running current.

The stuff in these lights will probably die faster by running hours rather that amount of starts.

#286198 - 07/09/2006 04:02 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: larry818]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Yeah but does it even matter when the bulbs last so long. I had one compact flourescent that lasted five years.

Matt

#286199 - 07/09/2006 16:12 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: msaeger]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I don't think it matters, but it was a point raised in the previous post.

I've had a couple die in a year, but they were the cheap 99 cent ones. Which are all I have.

#286200 - 18/09/2006 14:48 Re: Distributed Computing? [Re: Robotic]
drakino
carpal tunnel

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.games/09/18/playstation.folding/index.html

Seems the PS3 will be folding when it is idle. I wonder how many units will be bought just to plug into some server room as a cheep alternative to a bunch of Cell powered servers.