Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#286349 - 04/09/2006 17:42 Hijack and V3 alpha 11 - sync problems
zanthos
new poster

Loc: Switzerland
Hi all

I had upgraded to V3 alpha 11 on my player and also loaded Hijack kernel v454. But I got troubles syncing my mk2 unit.
So i decieded to use a new harddrive and to completely reinstall the player software.
After installing V3 alpha 11 and the latest Hijack kernel (v464) again, I again had trouble to sync: It just aborted while uploading over ethernet. there was no error in jemplode and the player had to be rebooted (power off). Afterwards eighter the player or jemplode had to rebuild the database. Still I was unable to upload music.
-> Then I decieded to just install v3 alpha 11 without Hijack. After this, there was no problem to upload 20GB of music to my player.

Is there a problem with the Hijack kernel?

Following question:
I don't really need hijack, But i'd love to have a custom boot animation. Is there a way to use another animation without Hijack?

Thanks for your reply!

#286350 - 04/09/2006 18:05 Re: Hijack and V3 alpha 11 - sync problems [Re: zanthos]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The alpha has known stability problems with syncing, especially large quantities of content. For short term, you are better off using the 2.0 final until you have everything uploaded to the player.

#286351 - 04/09/2006 18:45 Re: Hijack and V3 alpha 11 - sync problems [Re: zanthos]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Is there a problem with the Hijack kernel?

No. But it does take up somewhat more space in RAM than the stock kernel. And when an upload just "dies" for no good reason, a likely culprit is running out of memory (due to bugs in the player software). So uploading without Hijack might possibly make a tiny little difference.

More likely, you just "got lucky" both times (different luck each time though..).

Cheers

#286352 - 04/09/2006 23:01 Re: Hijack and V3 alpha 11 - sync problems [Re: zanthos]
Gleep

Loc: Iowa
I run V3 Alpha 11 (with hijack) on one of my Empegs and I have sync problems almost everytime. It almost always dies when trying to update the playlist. My current method is to use Emplode 2.1 and as soon as I see it is taking too long to update the playlists, I reboot the Empeg. This causes Emplode 2.1 to cancel but not abort like the regular version. Once the Empeg has finished rebooting (takes awhile because it rebuilds the database). I just hit sync again in Emplode and it almost always works fine this time. I use V3 Alpha 11 because of the gapless playback. I am still ripping to mp3 because I cannot get ogg files to play all the way through without glitching once and a while and flac files always glitch. Mp3 files will glitch sometimes too but not very often.