Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#288350 - 18/10/2006 18:06 Linux RAID HD Failure - HELP!
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I have been running ClarkConnect for some time now. Over the past couple of days I have been getting various internet related problems. After bypassing the firewall for a few hours today I decided there was something up with the ClarkConnect Box, as it hasn't had a restart since April(ish) I thought that would be a good idea.

But, to my horror it never came back up. I went into the BIOS and disabled the master HD and it booted off the other drive perfectly. Also the issues I have been seeing seem to have gone.

Being a total Linux newbie I have no idea what to do. What do I do? Just drop in a new drive? How do I check there is a problem, I couldn't really see anything in the boot sequence but then I don't really know what I am looking for, is this logged somewhere?

I also think now would be a good time to back up my picture Gallery (Gallery 2) but I am left feeling a little lost with that task also.

Any pointers would be great. Man am I glad I did the RAID thing!

Cheers

Cris.

#288351 - 18/10/2006 18:24 Re: Linux RAID HD Failure - HELP! [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Not to sure about anything specific to ClarkConnect. As for gallery2, i'd simply copy the gallery2 folder to somewhere safe and the do a dump of the SQL database to a file. That appears to be a common method for backing up. As you can just restore them back and everything should be intact.

I would've thought there should be some RAID tools (probably CLI ones) available on the shell prompt.

Maybe I could have a look at it for you?

Andy M

#288352 - 18/10/2006 18:51 Re: Linux RAID HD Failure - HELP! [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Ok, the gallery is backed up, I think! Database, gallery dir and album dir all safe

No idea with clarkconnect either, their support is pretty rubbish for RAID setups. I think what I will do is remove all my data from the working HD, buy a replacement and start from scratch with a new install of ClarkConnect V4.

What are you doing this weekend? I would like to get the box booting off a CF card, I have all the stuff, just never got around to doing it.

Cheers

Cris.

#288353 - 18/10/2006 19:21 Re: Linux RAID HD Failure - HELP! [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
In Brum with SWMBO on Friday + Saturday, but I'm free tomorrow and Sunday. What do you think?

Andy M

#288354 - 18/10/2006 19:28 Re: Linux RAID HD Failure - HELP! [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Sounds good to me. I should be doing study on Sat anyway

I'll have to check, but I don't think there is anything planned for me on Sunday.

Cheers

Cris.

#288355 - 21/10/2006 05:46 Re: Linux RAID HD Failure - HELP! [Re: Cris]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
depending on the raid config, you should be able to easily clone the original drive. it's not as easy as just pluging in a replacement drive as you need to restore a partition format.

You shouldn't need to re-install anything. You just need to replace the damaged part. It's hard to walk you through anything without a bunch of info tho. I've done this type of recovery a dozen times.

#288356 - 29/11/2006 11:56 Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

So, I've had my clarkconnect box up and running for a few weeks now, it was hardware failure and the drive is being replaced for free

I didn't want to start a new topic, but...

I have been messing around again. This time with the MultiWAN features of clarkconnect. Basically I've had a second line and broadband installed to the house (long story, basically I'm having tenants in who are big internet users) one plus side of this is that I get use of it

I have got the CC box hooked up to it, and it seems to be working fine it makes use of both dsl lines just fine (load balancing, so it's not faster I just get more bandwidth) I want to test if my webserver is working ok, could a few people hit http://2b1q.com and let me know if it's working. I am wondering if the load balancing will effect the web server etc... but of course when I try it from here it always works

Thanks in advance

Cris.

#288357 - 29/11/2006 12:29 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: Cris]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
I want to test if my webserver is working ok, could a few people hit http://2b1q.com and let me know if it's working. I am wondering if the load balancing will effect the web server etc... but of course when I try it from here it always works

Thanks in advance

Cris.

Your website is working for me.

#288358 - 29/11/2006 12:31 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: Cris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Works here.

#288359 - 29/11/2006 13:31 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: Cris]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Works for me too.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#288360 - 29/11/2006 16:02 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: pedrohoon]
Cris
pooh-bah

Thanks Guys.

So it seems the webserver works as it should.

I am seeing a few downsides to using 2 dsl lines at once. On some websites you get logged out of your session is it flips you onto the other IP address.

I have set up a few static routes for Newsgroups and e-mail, everything seems to work

Cheers

Cris.

#288361 - 29/11/2006 16:46 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
On some websites you get logged out of your session is it flips you onto the other IP address.

Not to mention that all long-term TCP connections (telnet, ssh, ftp) will also reset. Not too bad if all you're doing is web surfing, though.

#288362 - 29/11/2006 17:42 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
all long-term TCP connections (telnet, ssh, ftp) will also reset.

You can set static routes for those services, which is so easy to do even I can do it More info here.

Quote:
Not too bad if all you're doing is web surfing, though.

I don't really see any speed increase in browsing, but there is a definate improvement when downloading from the newsgroups and downloading at the same time. I don't think it would have been worth getting the 2nd line just for this, but now I have it I like it.

Cheers

Cris.

#288363 - 29/11/2006 18:16 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Actually, I was talking about if one connection fails. Of course, a reset connection is hardly worse than no connection. I would be very surprised if it would change the interface on a VC while still up. That would break everything, web browsing included.

I guess my point was more along the "too bad real multihoming is impractical" lines. And by "impractical", I mean impractical for the backbone providers, who have disabled any support for it, except for very large customers, which makes it impossible for the rest of us.

#288364 - 29/11/2006 18:26 Re: Help me test my webserver please - using MultiWAN [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

I must admit it would be cool to do channel bonding, which would make sure if one went down everything stays including the webserver.

I tried pulling the plug on one of the lines, and I could still surf ok. I am using 2 totally seperate providers, one with BT (staff discount) and my original line with zen.co.uk so I suppose it does offer me some protection inthe event of a total failure at one of the ISP's. I also made sure I was routed on different racks in the exchange, although I didn't have enough time to look into the back bone records.

I am using opendns as clarkconnect suggest, I was having problems with the ISP DNS servers, are there any downsides to opendns?

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cris (29/11/2006 18:27)