Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289475 - 08/11/2006 15:47 Feeding Audio in to a video socket
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Odd one this, I have a TV with the ordinary Red, White and Yellow line inputs, but, instead of a video, I want to feed an audio tuner in. I know that the sockets work, because I can plug my camcorder in, but the moment there's no video signal, the audio inputs go dead. A long shot, can anyone suggest how to fool the TV in to thinking it has a video signal: I've tried a switcher with an amp. in, but that doesn't do it?

#289476 - 09/11/2006 12:34 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: boxer]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
It's looking for valid sync signals, so pretty much you have to give it a video source. You could just leave the vid line hooked up to your vcr.

You know, using a tv as an audio amp is power wasteful...

#289477 - 09/11/2006 14:05 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: larry818]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
You know, using a tv as an audio amp is power wasteful...

It's only for an all purpose TV/Radio source in the corner of the kitchen. I figured, in the meantime, that the answer was to hook up a security camera in the video socket, so that you can see up and down the street!

Now I come to think about it, this will be the most over engineered project I've ever embarked upon: Encompassing an AdderLink Gold, kindly donated by Tahir, linked to a spare PC; A security camera; A Milestone remote scart connector gizmo (Which has been sitting unemployed for some time since I migrated to Freeview) to send the satellite signal across the house by Cat5 cable - if I could figure out how to get the Empeg in to the mix, I would!

#289478 - 09/11/2006 16:26 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
What does the adderlink do then if it's not being used for video???

Cheers

Cris.

#289479 - 09/11/2006 20:20 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:

........and all because the Lady loves milk tray!!!
Mrs. B is not technology driven, if it were you and I, we could do the whole lot without any of this complicated stuff, but you and I don't take our films to Boots for processing!
Conversly, after an evening class in IT, access to squandering our fortune on the internet is mandatory.
So, all of this overkill comes under the heading of anything for a quiet life
...and how else is she going to place an order with the chocolate club, or whatever it's called.

#289480 - 10/11/2006 05:53 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: boxer]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
MMMMMmmm - Hotel Chocolat!!!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#289481 - 10/11/2006 08:06 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
- revisited

The Adderlink takes all the functions of the PC located under the stairs to the PC input of the TV (taking my previous observations, this could do everything, with an ordinary monitor and Freeview DigiTV with the Sky box fed in to its aux socket: But, as I say AFAQL!), the milestone cat5 scart thingy takes the functions of the Sky+ box from the sitting room to the scart socket of the TV.
Unbelievably, Tesco's cheapest LCD TV sports inputs for:PC/3.5mm jack, Scart, S-video, composite AV, component video (Y/PB/PR), audio line in and out - all it's missing is a toslink input!
More unbelievably, it was PC World's engineer who suggested I'd be better going to Tesco or Richer sounds!
The solution to the original problem was to use the video output of one of those one for all video senders (I've meant to put it on ebay, it wouldn't go through the walls).

Edited by boxer (10/11/2006 13:38)

#289482 - 10/11/2006 08:51 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: boxer]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Sure it actually requires a signal? There are RCA sockets that have a switch in them so the device can detect a plug or not. You can usually see a white U shaped bit of plastic in the centre hole. Often they are used to override the rear composite AV connections on the back by the fronts (where you plug in a camcorder etc).

i.e. tried a blank plug or cable with nothing connected?
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#289483 - 10/11/2006 09:03 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: Shonky]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Sure it actually requires a signal?

It is certainly possible. For example all the wireless TV links that Maplins sell in the UK will only operate when a video signal is present, meaning that you can't use them to transmit a purely audio signal. I always suspected that some obscure European regulation (or a misinterpretation of such a regulation) was the cause of this oddity.

#289484 - 10/11/2006 09:16 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: Shonky]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
Sure it actually requires a signal?

All the video equipment I have actually needs a signal.

I remember an article about a guy that made a ham band recorder out of a vcr. The vcr records a 6mhz wide signal, so he just built a mixer to convert the band he was interested in (80 meters, I think it was) to the range the vcr was expecting, but he also had to build a sync generator to get the vcr to operate. He used this setup to record 6mhz of a radio band for later listening, just hooked the vcr video output to a tuner.

I thought this a very weird concept when I first read of it.

I still think it's weird.

#289485 - 10/11/2006 13:35 Re: Feeding Audio in to a video socket [Re: Shonky]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
i.e. tried a blank plug or cable with nothing connected?

Yep, I'd tried that before I posted, but thabks for the thought.