Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#290021 - 05/12/2006 00:30 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Those poor PS3 people

I heard something about a guy being shot by police and killed as he fled a store with a stolen PS3. Not worth it, man. Just get a Wii.

I should get one of those to play every version of Tetris ever!!

#290022 - 05/12/2006 13:11 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I laughed out loud at this.

#290023 - 10/12/2006 05:17 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I added all you guys and only Drakino added me! I'm Wii friendless! hahah.

Man, I played Zelda for 9 freaking hours yesterday. I couldn't stop. What a great game. How far into it are you guys that are playing it?

#290024 - 10/12/2006 05:52 Re: Wii [Re: adavidw]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
So the fan in my Wii started to make a nasty rattling/buzzing sound. I called Nintendo, and their first suggestion was we'll keep an eye out and see if anyone else ever reports that problem, but in the meantime, have fun with your Wii, mmmkay?

I pointed out that that didn't really solve my problem. They had two options. Option 1: They can do advance replacement with a new unit, but I would lose any Wii points I had or any games I had downloaded. They insisted there was no possible way to transfer the account information over. Option 2: Send in my Wii for repair. I'll be without for 5-10 days, but I'll still have my point balance and such.

I choose Option 2. They turn around the repair really fast; I send it out on Monday and I get it back Friday. When I open it I realize how they fixed it so fast: They replaced it. The shopping channel recognizes the new one as being mine, and shows me the correct point balance and lets me redownload my games, which means they evidently do have a way to transfer that information.

I got the worst of both worlds. I'm without the system for week, like a repair, but I have to reenter all of my information, like in an advance replacement. I've got like a 2000 character WPA key on my network to reenter, plus I've got everybody's Wii codes to reenter. Plus, I lost everything that I couldn't back up to SD card, like all my Miis (I backed up some to the remote, but that only holds so many).

Anyway, that's a long way of saying the I have a new Wii code now, and anyone who entered my code before should reenter it.

Here's my new code:
6940 1103 2809 4388

Please enter my code so I can repopulate my Mii parade!

#290025 - 11/12/2006 14:11 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I added all you guys and only Drakino added me! I'm Wii friendless! hahah.

I added you too! I thought that's all you needed... have you checked your Wii Parade? At first I only had one Mii in it (Drakino's, I assume), but now I have about 20! It's so cool to see all these Miis created by different people on the empeg board!

Quote:
Man, I played Zelda for 9 freaking hours yesterday. I couldn't stop. What a great game. How far into it are you guys that are playing it?

Isn't it fantastic? I really don't think there's a better franchise in the history of video games.

I'm about 16 hours into the game, but that's only because I left it paused for two hours and it counted that time. But still, what amazes me is that I've played this game for 14 hours, and it seems like I've done so much. The fact that I've heard total playtimes of 60 to 100 hours makes me insanely curious about what's in store for me. I can't speak highly enough about this game. I just wish I'd been able to play it once in the past week. I need to stop doing stuff

#290026 - 11/12/2006 15:31 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

I thought I add everyone here but I havn't received any adds. I might not be doing it right though.

#290027 - 11/12/2006 18:06 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
I haven't added anyone, yet. I did compile this list just a second ago, though. Now I can take it home to add people

Code:
l0ser		3936 1790 6273 8490
Dignan 2346 2852 4904 8562
drakino 3248 5534 2295 4054
msaeger 7010 4111 2461 3022
ricin 3313 8584 0068 9980
adavidw 6940 1103 2809 4388
loren 1042 3358 6234 5595
visuvius 6427 6579 1576 5804

#290028 - 11/12/2006 18:12 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I thought I add everyone here but I havn't received any adds. I might not be doing it right though.

I'm not sure that anything actually happens. I think that both people just add each other, then they can send messages back and forth, and if they set any Miis to "Mingle," those Miis will show up in the Mii parade (which for some reason doesn't include your own Mii that you've set to mingle...I wonder why they did that...).

#290029 - 13/12/2006 01:10 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm about 16 hours into the game, but that's only because I left it paused for two hours and it counted that time. But still, what amazes me is that I've played this game for 14 hours, and it seems like I've done so much. The fact that I've heard total playtimes of 60 to 100 hours makes me insanely curious about what's in store for me. I can't speak highly enough about this game. I just wish I'd been able to play it once in the past week. I need to stop doing stuff

I'm at 40 hours and I can tell I'm near the end, probably 10 hours left I'd guess. And being curious as to what's in store hasn't ended yet! I can tell that when I'm done, I'm still going to rove around the world and try and get everything I possibly can, just 'cause it's that fun.

Quote:

I think I tried to send you one of my Miis in a message last night, though it was late and I can't remember.... Zelda fog.

Quote:
I haven't added anyone, yet. I did compile this list just a second ago, though. Now I can take it home to add people

Nice. thanks! I'll go make sure I have all of them, pretty sure I do already...

Going to see if I have any more Miis on parade, last I checked I only had 2. But, I've made20+ and they are all set to mingle. Mostly celeb look-a-likes. =]

#290030 - 13/12/2006 03:16 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
But, I've made20+ and they are all set to mingle. Mostly celeb look-a-likes. =]

They seem to trickle in slowly. I had a Gandhi show up last night. Probably one of yours?

#290031 - 13/12/2006 12:11 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

I'm at 40 hours and I can tell I'm near the end, probably 10 hours left I'd guess. And being curious as to what's in store hasn't ended yet! I can tell that when I'm done, I'm still going to rove around the world and try and get everything I possibly can, just 'cause it's that fun.

I suspected that the insane gameplay hours I was hearing was probably due to people trying to find every secret in the game.

#290032 - 13/12/2006 15:48 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Does an excited Nintento fan now say "Wiit!"?

-Zeke

#290033 - 13/12/2006 22:19 Re: Wii [Re: adavidw]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
But, I've made20+ and they are all set to mingle. Mostly celeb look-a-likes. =]

They seem to trickle in slowly. I had a Gandhi show up last night. Probably one of yours?

Yeap, one of mine. I had 3 more show up the other day. Forget the names though... I'm now traveling for the holidays and I brought it with me, so we'll see if I can find wireless networks where I'm shacked up.

#290034 - 15/12/2006 00:23 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
So..... how do I get one of these before my impulse-buy surge wears off? In other words, online, at the real price, from a reputable vendor? Or should I wait until 12/26/06?

And would the Wii work with my computer monitor with DSub15 and 5 BNC input? I essentially don't have a TV, so I'd rather just play "on my computer". Or does the console have to be positioned just right so the controler works?

Hey, whatever it takes to get my hands on the new Zelda. I really don't have time for gaming, but that looks so tempting....

#290035 - 15/12/2006 05:06 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
loren
carpal tunnel

What worked for me was reading the Wii chat forums and http://www.ps3seeker.com/wii or whatever it is... and calling the Best Buys and Circuit City's the night before right before they closed to see if they had them in stock for the day that everyone was forecasting them to put them out. I had to wait in line 3 hours, but it was worth it, which I never thought I'd say. Rumor is that the next big sale date is the 17th last I checked. Otherwise your best bet is to drop into your local EB Games or Gamestop and see when they get their daily shipments, and be there when they do. OR, you can pay a $100 premium and get one off of ebay or craigslist.

As for if it will work on your monitor... out of the box no. It comes with RCA cables, but there are component and svideo cables available. So you'd need an adaptor eh? The console doesn't need to be positioned, but it does come with an IR LED "sensor" bar that needs to be either below or above your screen. The wire for it is really long, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing mid January, they'll be way easier to find, but who knows. Zelda howeve, is definitely worth the wait. And I haven't had time for gaming in years, but I somehow found it for Zelda! 42 hours worth in the past week and a half!

#290036 - 15/12/2006 07:52 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
42 hours worth in the past week and a half!

How is your arm after waving that controller around for an average of 4 hours a day?

#290037 - 15/12/2006 11:31 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So..... how do I get one of these before my impulse-buy surge wears off?

In addition to what Loren said, I believe that most of the "big stores" are holding their stock for this Saturday, being essentially the last big weekend before Christmas. So they might have a big stock available at someplace like Best Buy. Just get there pretty early and it should be pretty easy.

And Zelda is absolutely worth the price of admission.

#290038 - 15/12/2006 13:28 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
would the Wii work with my computer monitor with DSub15 and 5 BNC input?

That question might be based on the assumption that the Wii supports HD modes like the other new consoles. It does not. Caveat emptor.

#290039 - 15/12/2006 13:30 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I believe that most of the "big stores" are holding their stock for this Saturday

Is this speculation, or is it based on anything?

They make the same amount of money no matter when they get sold, and I find it hard to believe that any retailer's fiscal calendar changes between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

#290040 - 15/12/2006 13:47 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I believe that most of the "big stores" are holding their stock for this Saturday

Is this speculation, or is it based on anything?

I'll find the blog post, which wasn't 100% certain, but close

Quote:
They make the same amount of money no matter when they get sold, and I find it hard to believe that any retailer's fiscal calendar changes between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I wasn't saying they were saving up their stock since launch, I meant that they haven't just been putting their shipments right on the shelves as they get them, but rather saving them over the past week or two to put up on the shelves tomorrow.

#290041 - 15/12/2006 13:50 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Right, but why would they do that? I'm not putting idiocy of of the question, but they sell the for the same price tomorrow as they would yesterday. The only thing they do by saving them up is increasing their workload tomorrow.

#290042 - 15/12/2006 13:56 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Right, but why would they do that? I'm not putting idiocy of of the question, but they sell the for the same price tomorrow as they would yesterday. The only thing they do by saving them up is increasing their workload tomorrow.

Don't ask me! But so far it seems to have followed that pattern. Up to this point, it seems like every mad rush at the stores has been on Saturday mornings (aside from the initial Sunday launch). I have a hard time believing that every store in the country gets its shipments on Friday evening. That seems like an unlikely time to me for some reason.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt...

#290043 - 15/12/2006 13:57 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:

The Wii is a draw - the stores are measured on their sales for particular weekends and times throughout the year. By holding back stock until a critical buying period, they will attract more people to their store to check out the Wii and also do their other shopping there at the same time. Trickling the Wiis out over a few weeks would only attract casual buyers or fanboys, not the big spenders they are hoping for this weekend.

#290044 - 15/12/2006 14:16 Re: Wii [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That only works if you advertise that you will have a large number available. Otherwise, people will go to the various stores that will carry it in normal proportions. Since it's a rumor, they're clearly not advertising it. In addition, I claim that the notion that people there to buy Wiis (Wiien? Wii? Wiices? Wius?) are likely to be "big spenders" is spurious at best. People willing to argue over these things are geeks who are there to buy the Wii (and, possibly, Wii accessories) and nothing else. They're not going to impulse-buy a rear projection TV.

#290045 - 15/12/2006 14:39 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That only works if you advertise that you will have a large number available.

They will be. Best Buy did the same thing last year with the 360, advertising things like "Minimum 40 per store" after saving up a few shipments. The rumor is based off a scan of the Best Buy company newsletter that they send to their stores. I believe it, as I have a friend that works at Best Buy and told me all about this plan from last years 360 release.

Quote:
They're not going to impulse-buy a rear projection TV.

No, but they may settle for buying a different video game console when told that "Sorry, those were our last units before Christmas", and little Timmy at home wants a game system. There are plenty of generous parents out there to make this work.

#290046 - 15/12/2006 16:40 Re: Wii [Re: drakino]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
That only works if you advertise that you will have a large number available.

They will be. Best Buy did the same thing last year with the 360, advertising things like "Minimum 40 per store" after saving up a few shipments. The rumor is based off a scan of the Best Buy company newsletter that they send to their stores. I believe it, as I have a friend that works at Best Buy and told me all about this plan from last years 360 release.

They've been doing this. This was the situation the weekend I got mine. Best Buy and Circuit City both advertised in their Sunday mailers that they'd have X number available at each store. The big rumor, as stated above, is that they'll be doing this again this SUNDAY, not Saturday, as has been the big box store's pattern. My buddy at Circuit City verified it that weekend... they'd been hording them as they got the shipments so they'd have enough for the weekend sale.

Quote:
Quote:
42 hours worth in the past week and a half!

How is your arm after waving that controller around for an average of 4 hours a day?

Absolutely fine. Which is pretty amazing. I've always gotten hand cramps and had fingers fall asleep after such extended gameplay with every other controller I've ever used. And I hadn't realized this until you just asked, but I did a full on 8-9 hour stint one day and didn't have any hand strain or cramps. Pretty impressive. The wiimote and nunchuck are held in a very natural way. This is all in Zelda mind you.

That said, after an hour or so of playing Wii Sports, my shoulder was killing me! Mostly from bowling, baseball and tennis. Because I never play those sports, so those motions were foreign to my muscles!

#290047 - 15/12/2006 19:32 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The buzz everywhere is definitely supporting the hold rumor.

#290048 - 15/12/2006 20:26 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Quote:
would the Wii work with my computer monitor with DSub15 and 5 BNC input?

That question might be based on the assumption that the Wii supports HD modes like the other new consoles. It does not. Caveat emptor.

More information please?

Although HD is not a huge deal to me, 16x9 widescreen (even if it's only 480 anamorphic) is.

There were a handful of Gamecube games that worked in anamorphic mode...

#290049 - 15/12/2006 20:42 Re: Wii [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Here

Mentions Widescreen and 480p.

#290050 - 15/12/2006 21:18 Re: Wii [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Tony, don't worry too much about it. Nintendo has stated that they expect almost all first-party games to be in widescreen, and it's looking that most third-party games are as well. I can at least confirm that Wii Sports, Zelda, and Rayman are all in widescreen.

That's all I was worried about when the N said that the Revolution wouldn't be high-def. I understood their philosophy, but I was tired of playing in 4:3 and it looks bad when stretched on a widescreen display. I had the component cable for the Gamecube, and it still looked terrible when stretched. IMO, every Wii game that I've played on a widescreen TV looks much better than every GC game I played on the same TV. And that's with the composite cables. I have the component cables but haven't tried them out yet...

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >