Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#290081 - 18/12/2006 22:05 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm a bigger fan of the early-80s arcade games than early console games. I could play Galaga for hours.

#290082 - 19/12/2006 00:29 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
technical, licensing or marketing issue.

Drakino and others summed it up pretty well. But how could this be a technical problem? Independant programmers have been creating emulators for almost 10 years. Couldn't Nintendo just write an emulator for Wii to play the old games? Or are they trying to get fancy and improve the sound and graphics for the classics? That'd be sad.

Here I was hoping to buy the Classic Controler immediately, but if there are only 15 games in VC, then forget it.

Oh, and I happened to find this deal at Amazon to get a Wii. Signed up for a chance to buy one just hours before the 42 hour registration period ended. With a 1 in 28 shot at one, it sure beats driving to the stores like I did today (and may try again Wednesday).

#290083 - 19/12/2006 01:00 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The classic games *are* played under emulation on the Wii as far as I know. There are no changes to the original games in graphics or sound.

One could easily play nearly all NES and SNES games on the Wii. I wouldn't want to do that of course, but there are are certainly a few select titles that will be interesting. Gamecube titles will be more appealing of course - and for those you just need the original disc and a controller.

#290084 - 19/12/2006 04:52 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
visuvius
addict

Ahhh, Galga, one of my personal favorites as well.

Galaxian was my #1shooter game on the NES though.

See, I need both of THOSE on the Virtual Console. Not freakin Xevious.

#290085 - 19/12/2006 11:45 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I think comparing emulators to the VC is a little tough. Nintendo has to make sure these games work perfectly with their hardware, and I'm sure there's a lot more to it than sticking a ROM on the Wii store. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt there.

#290086 - 19/12/2006 12:02 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Going to see if I have any more Miis on parade, last I checked I only had 2. But, I've made20+ and they are all set to mingle. Mostly celeb look-a-likes. =]

Check out this contest (already finished, but interesting winners).

#290087 - 19/12/2006 12:49 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Not sure if this should be a whole new thread or not. This morning, on my way out the door to work I noticed the blue tray light was on, which I set up to mean Connect24 downloaded something. I checked and the Forecast Channel is now live. It is a pretty cool little interface, where you can set up your city and see the current weater and forecast, or you can look at a globe and zuke around and see the current weather and forecast anywhere you want.

I was about 10 mins late for work because I was playing with it so long. Pretty neat application.

#290088 - 19/12/2006 12:56 Re: Wii [Re: Tim]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Saw the same thing, and the globe is going to be handy. It allows you to zoom around, seeing todays forecast or tomorrows at all the locations it supports. I'm driving home for the holidays, so before I go, I can just drag the globe around where my planned route is, and know what to expect.

I'm glad to see they are going to notify users of useful updates like this via the blue light.

#290089 - 19/12/2006 13:20 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

That just means modifying the emulator to make sure the ROM works. The same thing the emulator programmers have been doing for years.

Any decisions/reasons for having only a small selection of titles is surely purely marketing motivated. Flooding the online store would cause consumers to overlook many titles and might reduce over all sales.

Of course shipping more Wii consoles would probably incfrease sales...

#290090 - 19/12/2006 15:31 Re: Wii [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I can't wait to check that out when I get home.

But even bigger news is that it's pretty certain that the Opera browser will be available this Friday!

#290091 - 22/12/2006 09:07 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

Its up and works like a champ!! Better than i expected actually. Youtube works nicely.us I can see this being used often.

Using it right now btw.

#290092 - 22/12/2006 12:19 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Its up and works like a champ!! Better than i expected actually. Youtube works nicely.us I can see this being used often.

Using it right now btw.

Sweetness! I stayed up later than I wanted to in case they released it soon after midnight. They didn't Now I'll have to wait until I get home...

Have you run across any sites that don't work with it yet?

#290093 - 22/12/2006 13:22 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Do they have text macros built-in so you can leave comments on YouTube? Stuff like "Get your ugly ass off my screen" and "You SuX l0z34!"

I'd be far more interested in using it with Flickr than YouTube which tends to be nothing more than a giant pool of intenet vomit. That's in contrast to MySpace of course which is the other end.

#290094 - 22/12/2006 14:46 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I pretty much just tried youtube and empegbbs and it worked good I am impressed. I wasn't expecting much since they are working with the low resolution of the TV.

Matt

#290095 - 23/12/2006 05:05 Re: Wii [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I pretty much just tried youtube and empegbbs and it worked good I am impressed. I wasn't expecting much since they are working with the low resolution of the TV.

Wow! I'm really impressed with the browser! I'm on it right now and while I wouldn't use it to write messages all the time, it's certainly feasible to do so.

Youtube works perfectly as well, and in keeping with the spirit of the Wii, I just watched a bunch of Rayman ads.

The zoom function works really well.

#290096 - 23/12/2006 08:34 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
Wow! I'm really impressed with the browser! I'm on it right now and while I wouldn't use it to write messages all the time, it's certainly feasible to do so.

Awesome. How do you guys type on the Wii? Is there an onscreen keyboard or something?

#290097 - 23/12/2006 12:48 Re: Wii [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It would be awesome if you could use the motion sensing control to write in a PalmGraffiti-like manner.

#290098 - 23/12/2006 13:04 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

But...... why a web browser in your Wii? What is this, WebTV again?

Or is this the techie's and marketer's dream of "convergance", where they put every function into every device, albiet poorly. For instance, Office Live and Google Docs: putting office suite functionality into the web while regressing its functionality 10 years. Web browser on Wii: regressing input and screen resolution.

Maybe there's money to be made by converging perfectly good devices where they don't belong. I just see regression and loss of functionality.

#290099 - 23/12/2006 13:27 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I asked for a bluetooth hammer for christmas. It's cool. Then I can count my hammering through-put on my PDA.

#290100 - 24/12/2006 12:40 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
But...... why a web browser in your Wii? What is this, WebTV again?

Oh, I think a good browser is a useful extra. It would be fun to flick through YouTube on the TV. Flickr on the TV would also be neat. If you have MythTV it would be convenient to set things to record with MythWeb on the Wii.

Poor convergence always sucks but if the implementation is fairly good, a browser on the Wii doesn't strike me as being out of place for some reason. I've played with the browser on the DS too. Its great for flicking through web comics, but I'd never post this entry on the BBS with it. It has a time and place.

#290101 - 24/12/2006 13:55 Re: Wii [Re: sein]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Come to think of it, it would be very convenient to "Alt-Tab" out of a game into the Wii web browser to look up game hints or walkthroughs online. Or, if there is a formidable keyboard, to post requests for hints on a forum.

#290102 - 24/12/2006 16:11 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

You guys are too hard on this web browser thing. This is not a "convergence" of products. This is first and foremost a gaming machine, with a browser designed for it by a company (Opera) who has attempted to make its negligible impact through browsers designed for portable devices. It's what they do, and it works here.

That said, the weather and internet channels are not meant for extensive use. They're meant for about 5-10 minutes of use. At least that's the way I see it. I think I remember a Nintendo exec saying that these additional channels are intended to make the Wii a sort of quick portal to useful information. So in the morning, you can check the weather and read the paper online, and be out the door in a couple minutes.

That said, the internet channel is a "free trial." Would I pay for it if/when they set a price? Probably not. I'm sure they'll set the price too high if they did, and I can't see anyone paying a lot for a basic web browser.

#290103 - 24/12/2006 16:17 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Google Docs: putting office suite functionality into the web while regressing its functionality 10 years.

I don't want to go on much of a tangent, but I think you're missing the point here. I heard a saying once that applies here: 90% of Word users use 10% of Word. That's certainly how it is for me. I don't need anything more than basic word processing, so I use Google docs. I don't have any word processing software installed, even the free programs, because I have no need for them.

#290104 - 25/12/2006 11:30 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
90% of Word users use 10% of Word.

But it's never the same 10%.

#290105 - 25/12/2006 12:23 Re: Wii [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No, but it's always the same 8%.

#290106 - 25/12/2006 18:43 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ok, so I got a voucher for one of these for Christmas. Which means I'm picking one up this week. Wich ALSO means I've got to pick up some games, extra controllers, etc.

I will definitetly get Zelda, and that will probably do it for my single-player stuff for a while, but I'd like to get a fun-for-the-whole-family multi-player game that my 5 year old nephew could play with us. So recommendations here? And what is the deal with the extra controllers. Do you have to buy them in two pieces (the remore and nunchuck) or do they come as one packagge. And if it's in two pieces, will I need them both for said multi-player game?

Thanks in advance- I've only been following this system on the fringe here. I know almost nothing about it or any of the games so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS, my wife is awesome

#290107 - 26/12/2006 04:15 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
For a family fun type game I think Wii sports which comes with the system fits the bill. The controllers come in two pieces and not all the games require both. With Wii sports the only one that uses both is boxing. Good luck getting more controllers I have yet to see any in a store.

Matt

#290108 - 26/12/2006 21:34 Re: Wii [Re: msaeger]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'm typing this on the run, but after a 30 minute session with the new Monkey Ball, I'm not happy with it. The mini games are f'n terrible and they obviously went with quantity over quality... there are a few where the control scheme just flat out doesn't work, at least not to the point that I can control anything (paragliding especially). The regular Monkey Ball one person game is as would be expected, same old but with a new control method... i.e. tilting the wiimote. It'd harder. Overall it just sorta bugs me... too many non skipable flashy screens and "story" crap. I played Rayman for a couple minutes and it's infinitely better. I also got Call of Duty 3 but have yet to crack the wrapping. Will update.

So far, the Wii was a huge success for the whole family. They all got into it WAY more than I expected. I had to unplug it mid game to leave for another relative's 2 times already, to the jeers of the currently bowling players. Everyone picked the controls up really fast and just wanted to keep playing!

#290109 - 27/12/2006 02:17 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Ok, where am I going to get a Wii (for retail price) before March? Arrrgh.

My brother brought his over to our parents yesterday and it was definitely fun. I didn't break the strap on his wimote, but I did let it lose once playing tennis and while trying to bowl with my left hand, I smacked it into a metal bowl on the coffee table and threw the remote across the room and into the speaker grill below my parent's TV. Oops! Not wearing the strap for that left handed madness.

Anyone have any bowling tips? I coulnd't really figure out what would make the ball hook left near the end of the lane. I tried different angle and spin techniques with the wiimote but could never get it to spin/hook to the right.

Zelda, as others have said, looks awesome. Plays fairly well. Tried it only for a minute but watched my brother play for about an hour (I had to figure what to do for him a number of times )

#290110 - 27/12/2006 03:44 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:
I didn't break the strap on his wimote, but I did let it lose once playing tennis and while trying to bowl with my left hand, I smacked it into a metal bowl on the coffee table and threw the remote across the room and into the speaker grill below my parent's TV. Oops! Not wearing the strap for that left handed madness.

I totally forgot to mention this. I was a huge skeptic about all the BS surrounding broken straps on the wiimotes, until 2 days ago. We were playing bowling and had been for about an hour or so, and I was seated with my feet up on an ottoman with my buddy bowling beside it to the left of me. He wound up, swung forward, clipped my shoe, which knocked the wiimote lose from his grip, and on the forward swing, the wiimote went flying into the ceiling, hit the wall, and smacked into the floor. We were astonished. The strap was still hanging from his wrist, and the cord dangled, broken (image links). There was a dent in the ceiling and the battery cover came off the wiimote, but other than a scuff on the front, it works fine. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. And he wasn't even swinging very hard. I was pissed we didn't have it on video!

Quote:
Anyone have any bowling tips? I coulnd't really figure out what would make the ball hook left near the end of the lane. I tried different angle and spin techniques with the wiimote but could never get it to spin/hook to the right.

I always line up on the far right, and release a little past the bottom of the swing with a pretty good twist on the remote. If you hit the 1/3 pocket it's a pretty guaranteed strike.

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >