Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#290723 - 25/11/2006 08:08 German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??)
yuppy
new poster

There used to be a guy who made awesome aluminum face plates for Empeg in four different finishes,It was called the ALU FACE ,he accepted paypal and it was like around $125 or so if I remember correctly...Ihe had a a very simple single page website with pics of the four models and names and his e-mail address on the botom.. I saved the link in my favorites back then....It was this link:
http://www.by-photos.de/AluFace.html

But now it's gone!!!...
I wish I would have ordered one back then...Does anybody know this guy's e-mail address or bought the aluface???
I'm sure he doesn't have that page cause Empeg has became an antique obsolete nowadays , but I am sure he can still make one by request ..I belive he was machining those made to order anyway ...anyone have any info..??? Thanks

[email protected]

Edited by yuppy (25/11/2006 08:13)

#290724 - 25/11/2006 08:12 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
tman
carpal tunnel

303 hasn't got the time to make them any more.

#290725 - 25/11/2006 16:44 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: tman]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Isn't webroach close to producing something though?

And yuppy.... you only need to post once. I've read about you wanting a fascia 3 times now.

#290726 - 25/11/2006 18:50 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
music
addict

Quote:
I wish I would have ordered one back then...

Yuppy, why don't you just buy this one and they'll throw another empeg in for free. Then you can strip the anodized black paint off and you'll have an ALU face.

#290727 - 25/11/2006 20:06 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: music]
yuppy
new poster

Thanks Music..Thats a good price but I have two of them.. already..I have one that is absolutely brand bew in box..I was thinking of designing a machined retro modern looking dock to use it as a home mp3 player once....at least I had that thought when I paid thousand dollars and bought it ,back then but never got around it...I am surprised that no one actually thought of making something like that which could turn empeg into home stereo unit...I know about the wooden made ones but they look so tacky.. I wouls even assume that some of those guys who are interrested in new aluminum face plates could design something like that.... you could even just take the insides of the Empeg and transplant it into a completely custom made casing...In the Computer Moddng comunity and Car stereo comunity people do insane custom things....
I am into building computers and I design my own computers with top notch parts and I admire guys who do stuff like custimization and Modding of anything..

Look at this guy , he designed machined computer cases for home theater lovers but you can use it as a regular desktop also ..I will order one soon,,,

http://www.atechfabrication.com/

It's not something thats mass produced..he literally machines them himself.. thats why it takes about a month to get one.. and fully loaded it costs around $800- %900 bucks... I mean his products are a work of art.. I love people who mod stuff like that
I wish somebody would design a machined casing just like he did for Empeg...so that it could live a new life as a home MP3 player...
I actually found this online machine shop while surfing...

http://www.emachineshop.com/demo/index.htm

I was really excited about this..You can design something with their CAD software you download..or your own and order it online.the Their software even calculates the price you pay...This way I don't have to find some machine shop around or a machinist to achive what I have in my mind...

If anyone is good at CAD stuff..please design something for the dying mpeg..lets give mpeg a new chance..before it is categorized as antique.. This e- Machine shop maybe give some motivation and inspiration to people hopefully...

#290728 - 25/11/2006 22:49 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Seems like a load of hassle. Why not just buy a Squeezebox or a Soundbridge? I rather like the docks that Mark made and certainly don't think they're tacky.

Andy M

#290729 - 25/11/2006 23:55 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Enough with all the talk! Put up or shut up. If it isn't available, learn to do it yourself. If you can't do it yourself or learn how to do it yourself, don't bother posting here wishing someone else will do it for you. Most likely if it hasn't been done by now it won't be done ever. Modding the entire case means you couldn't ever use it in the car, which is what 99% of the people here use it for. Most people who want home docks already have one, either Mark Lord's or DIY. You've already insulted Mark, so you won't be getting any from him, basically that means you have one option.

#290730 - 26/11/2006 00:08 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: cushman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Strong words, but exactly what I was thinking. We still seem to get passing traffic on the board which I suppose is a good thing. It does amuse me though, the type of things that get brought up... Like that guy that was going to make a serial port driven hard disc adaptor and a dozen or so other useless things and then just silently disappeared.

Andy M

#290731 - 26/11/2006 01:11 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: andym]
cushman
veteran

Exactly. Be realistic. Too much talk nowadays and not enough action.

#290732 - 26/11/2006 01:34 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
..interrested in new aluminum face plates could design something like that.... you could even just take the insides of the Empeg and transplant it into a completely custom made casing..

That (and a lot of other things) has been done already, with great results.

I don't think I have a photo of it from Amsterdam, but perhaps firefox or somebody has one they can post of Julf's machine inside the nice rackmount aluminium case ?

EDIT: Oh wait, found one: attached to this posting.

Cheers

Attachments
291017-z0061659.jpg (224 downloads)

#290733 - 26/11/2006 02:59 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Yuppy, get real! you mention the 'tacky wooden' docks? Well before rack mount and digital readouts and iPod crap, all decent stereo equipment componets were mounted in wood cabinets. I personally have a Marantz SD 800 Dual Casette Deck, a Marantz 2216 Reciver and a couple of Sansui's as well...all in the original WOODEN cases. Sure you can rack mount if that is the way you are 'bent', but for the true retro freak (I am an old man having a birthday in a couple of days), the empeg in a ML deck is the perfect blend to add to a 'retro' system. I am the 'poor boy' of the bbs, but I still manage to scrounge up some bargans from goodwill and from people who want to get rid of their 'old' stuff.
Bottom line. Either build it yourself, post once every now and then to buy an existing item, or shut the hell up. A phrase 'Grandpa Wit' use to say, "If Frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass's on the ground". Just my opinion, of course.

#290734 - 26/11/2006 03:06 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: cushman]
yuppy
new poster

What is it with you Cushman.. and Ladmo I didn't ask you for your lecture !! ...I posted that so maybe someone can come up with ideas or direct me to a link thats been done or whatever.. Calling something Tacky is NOT an insult..,,Thats my opinion,,IT IS indeed tacky!! It is a music device NOT A FURNITURE my man !! Have you ever seen a comercial home stereo player that came in a wooden box from this era??? I imagine Ladmo probably even puts a doily on top of his wooden stereo too... like my grandma..,, Oh I'm sorry not like my grandma..but like my grand grandma..! By the way , I didn't say it was tacky because of the way he constructed it..I said tacky only because it was made out of wood !...But that guy is a wood worker so thats his specialty...Why don't you take your own advice and shut up yourself !..I am free to express my opinion and don't need your BS!
and by the way No ,there is nothing new on this site ..All the things like the colored lenses , ligted buttons and FM tuner AND that wooden box existed four years ago and nothing so far new has been added to the scene as far as hardware modding goes.... I am amused at your phrase that said " If it hasn't been done by now , most likely it'll never be done "..why not ? Not everybody in this forum will agree with you and certainly not everybody has the lack of imagination and vision like you do..
Twenty years ago , If you told someone that you wanted to make electric or hybrid cars like today.or even told them about your idea about soy beans replacing gas..They will laugh at you..and ridicule you..But it has been done hasn't it ! and yes someday gas will be replaced completely.... Because someone was brave enough to imagine it and put out the effort to research and get help!
I wasn't necessarily talking about a unit that could only be used as a home device but, I was just giving an example of what could be done.. Mlord was helpful to post a picture and thats how people in forums should ACT ! There is nothing wrong about adding a wishlist..INFACT most forums have a category dedicated to that cause it gives constructive ideas..Doesn't mean it has to be done.... But you, what did you do ??? You criticize me for posting links... Most people have ideas about machining something but , If they are not trained and educated in that field they percive it as a complicated process or they feel that they need to personally comunicate with some machine shop to ask them if they do small jobs and prototypes,,or whtever,,that could be intimidating to some people...SO I posted that link Cause I just found out about it myself and may be somebody could benefit from it even making new faces or whtever...WHAT I MEAN TO SAY IS: That was a contribution..I don't need your stinking critism...If you don't have anything to ad helpful as reply , then post your critique on other people's threads...

Edited by yuppy (26/11/2006 03:51)

#290735 - 26/11/2006 08:37 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
I don't think I have a photo of it from Amsterdam, but perhaps firefox or somebody has one they can post of Julf's machine inside the nice rackmount aluminium case?

Hmm. That picture reminds me that I need to clean up in the kitchen

#290736 - 26/11/2006 09:37 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Wow, what a rant!

All they're saying is that you're the latest in a very long line of new members with a 'great' idea that will never surface. By all means prove them wrong, but I won't hold my breath.

Andy M

#290737 - 26/11/2006 13:21 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
cushman
veteran

*yawn*

This is getting boring. Ah well, gotta go skiing! Besides, I was getting dizzy reading the sentence structure in his posts.

#290738 - 27/11/2006 04:57 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Cushman draws a lot of water in this town. You don't draw sh*t, Yuppy.

#290739 - 27/11/2006 05:47 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Dude - there is a wishlist thread. There are also countless threads discussing mods and the cost implications, as well as successes and failures in various mods.

The old hands here have pretty much discussed everything - and the more time goes by, the closer other brands can come to making kit like the empeg, so the driver to make major mods becomes smaller.

People like Mark have been providing invaluable mods to increase the expected service life of our empegs, and to offer functionality tweaks, but the install base is so small there needs to be close analysis done as to cost / effort against return.

Check out the existing discussions on these topics, and you'll find it has all been round before.

Rule 1 when you join a new board - lurk...then post.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#290740 - 29/11/2006 03:37 Re: German Guy who made Aluminum Face Plate (whatever Happened ??) [Re: yuppy]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
to achive what I have in my mind...

Do you have something in mind? If so, we'd love to see it in any form. A pen and paper sketch, clay sculpture, Photoshop hack, 3D mockup, CAD draft, whatever. Maybe your design will spark people's interest and, better yet, catch the attention of someone with ability to create it.

Plenty of interesting hardware and case mods have been done to the empeg in the past. They've been mounted inside a Sun SparcIPC, in the 5 1/4" bay of a computer, in rack mounts, given plexiglass lids, and even full light up fascias. And some ideas haven't been created but were sketched out in 3D or 2D.

Whatever you have in mind, please share, because if nothing else, it would make for eye candy.

Quote:
there needs to be close analysis done as to cost / effort against return.

Then, hopefully, throw out the analysis and do the project anyway.