Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#29110 - 05/04/2001 11:56 Who is listening to their empeg right now?
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I have mine hooked up to my laptop computer right now... listening to:

Broadcast - Come On, Let's Go
The Church - Destination
ogHr (singer for Skinny Puppy) - earthworm
Emiliana Torrini - To Be Free
Toni Childs - Dreamer
Etta James - At Last
Dream Warriors - My Definition...

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#29111 - 05/04/2001 13:18 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I feel special! I guess I am the only one actually USING my empeg! :) :)

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#29112 - 05/04/2001 13:31 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
synergy
enthusiast

Hell, I leave the thing running the entire time I'm at work on a random loop.

That and all of my co-workers know about it, so their pulling playlists from it over displayserver.

It's actually quite funny when I leave for the gym... I'll pack everything up, get ready to leave, and then pull the empeg. About 15 seconds later, it gets real quiet at the office. Then, the 'HEY'...

I'm just waiting for a bigger car so I can do wireless. (My Current vehicle is an Acura Integra GSR. Nice car, but it's basically got a motorcycle battery in it.) Then, no one would know until I started to drive off.... 11mbs, 6, 2 ,1 .... HEY!

#29113 - 05/04/2001 13:35 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I've also got it on random. my current Now&Next:

Up Around the Bend - CCR
We Got the Beat - Go-Go's
Homeward Bound - Simon & Garfunkel
Blowin' in the Wind - Joan Baez

Come on, I know you all wanted to know! :)

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#29114 - 05/04/2001 15:03 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: Dearing]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I've also got it on random. my current Now&Next:

Me too.

Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
A.L. Webber - Memories (from musical "Cats")
L. Bernstein - America (from musical "West Side Story)
Pachelbel - Canon
Chopin - Etude in C Major Opus 10

I listen all day at work with a pair of walkman-style headphones hooked directly to the line-outs. Works perfectly, but requires good quality (low impedence) headphones.

On average I listen to my empeg about 45 hours per week. That works out to be about 1500 hours of total play time since I got it. I'm sure there are others out there with lots more...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#29115 - 05/04/2001 15:17 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We were just listening to some excellent trance (Infected Mushroom) on a Rio Receiver here in the office. Does that count?

Rob

#29116 - 05/04/2001 15:19 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Who, Love Reign 'Oer Me via displayserver.
Random Shuffle through my mainstream music directory (no Techno, Comedy, misc. sounds).
Now we're on Boomtown Rats- Mondays.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#29117 - 05/04/2001 15:48 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: rob]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Speaking of Rio Reciever, i got my Dell Reciever in today and it's sitting here on my desk, box open, staring at me begging to bring it home and hook it up. The Dell Dimension came in today too... but guess who's gonna get hooked up first?! Ya got's ta have music to set up new computers too... =]

|| loren.cox ||

#29118 - 05/04/2001 16:36 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Right now the Empeg is playing "Shuttered Room" by The Fixx.

I took it home today on my lunch hour and had it playing as the Satellite-installer-guy was working on setting up my new receiver. He was duly impressed, and liked the Rorshach visual a lot. During the time we were working there, it happend to random-play a particularly good batch of songs, and I even commented about how neat this particular shuffle was. It included a couple of Rush instrumentals right in a row, some Robert Plant, and a few other good ones.

Then, on the way back to work, one of those "serentipitous two-fers" came up in the shuffle. I love these when they happen. In this case it was:

- Shed a Little Light (by James Taylor), which opens with the line "Let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King".

- Pride in the Name of Love (by U2), a song about Martin Luther King.

It's almost as if the Empeg knew the subject matter of the songs.

Anyone else have any examples of good "Serendipitous Two-fers"?

#29119 - 05/04/2001 18:25 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Anyone else have any examples of good "serendipitous Two-fers"?

No... but congratulations on being the first person on the bbs to use the word "serendipitous" in a post! That ranks right up there with Rob Schofield's use of the word "hygroscopic".

Damn, but this bbs is FUN.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#29120 - 05/04/2001 20:09 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
xanatos
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Well now that I have my RIO (heh) after everything got straighened out (thanks to everyone over at SonicBLUE for helping me out), and I've been pretty much a lurker...

Right now it's playing

Smith Smiffenpoofs - Dreams [Cranberries Cover]

:) *sitting at work*

Later!
Damien

Damien Heiser
tnl

#29121 - 05/04/2001 21:19 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: synergy]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

It's actually quite funny when I leave for the gym... I'll pack everything up, get ready to leave, and then pull the empeg. About 15 seconds later, it gets real quiet at the office. Then, the 'HEY'...

sounds like my scenerio:) bad part is everyone knows when I'm late:)
-m

...proud to have owned an Empeg since 00287

#29122 - 06/04/2001 04:18 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: synergy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I am in the same situation. I work slightly shifted hours (to avoid massive amounts of traffic), so I get to pull the plug on everyone a little early... :) It is amusing getting requests for all kinds of different music. My 40GB is almost filled, though, so I want to save that last bit of room for something different...

One displayserver feature request: it would be nice to be able to modify the access control. The username and password pair configurable in an ini file, plus the ability to have an "administrator mode" with a different password for the applets and system backup utilities. Nothing worse than listening to something really good and having someone playing around with the buttons from down the hall...

Now and next (I randomize a lot: this is a bit more eclectic than normal...)

This Frozen Land - Jeff Pearce (Tenderness and Fatality)
The Stone - David Matthews Band (Before These Crowded Streets)
Amazing Offer - Horslips (Short Stories - Tall Tales)
Precious Things - Tori Amos (To Venus And Back)

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

#29123 - 06/04/2001 05:46 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: pgrzelak]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

HUGO:

I have to comment:

Reading the empeg owners manual, I was really impressed that you guys picked such good music (any Garbage fans over there?) to be playing while you took photos for the manual! I was glad you didn't make up band names or go too mainstream.

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#29124 - 06/04/2001 07:49 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: dionysus]
synergy
enthusiast

sounds like my scenerio:) bad part is everyone knows when I'm late:)
-m

Yeah.... That is a problem here, too... Especially since the Daylight savings changeover.

The good part about it... everyone that listens, happens to work FOR me.

#29125 - 06/04/2001 09:14 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Precious Things - Tori Amos (To Venus And Back)

Isn't that the coolest concert opening you've ever heard?

I've never seen her play live, but I can just picture the scene, from hearing the track. I can practically see her take the stage and sit at the piano. And the way she teases the audience with that song is intense. When she starts into the stacatto chords and the audience figures out what song she's opening the show with, it's amazing.

#29126 - 06/04/2001 09:27 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
_Move Over_ by Cinderella
_Turning Japanese_ by The Vapors
_I Want You To Want Me_ by Cheap Trick
etc etc (Random loop all day)

The empeg took a 2.5' fall off the shelf onto the desk today when my foot caught the power cord. Plugged it back in, and it's still rockin' I love it! But I'm not going to get into the practice of making it take a dive...

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Green MK2
S/N 80000329

#29127 - 06/04/2001 09:29 Re: Who is listening to their empeg right now? [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

It is great! I saw her once live, when she was just starting out - it was the tour for her first album, and I saw her in a tiny theater in Red Bank, NJ. WOW! It was a fantastic show!!! Her stage presence is astounding!

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)